Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I decided to make a kick (my) butt cake! *EDIT*- EDIT how it went at party

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 229 Total Views
2 moms liked this

Niece's birthday is Saturday  we're getting together tomorrow for a birthday dinner for the family to celebrate. Not even sure how it got started, but I've become smitten with cake making. Something I've always wanted to do, but hadn't done yet.

there's going to be only 6 people there but I'm making cake for about 48 because I wanted to make a BIG cake! it's going to be pink with purple flowers make out of fondant. that fancy stuff that's like playdo that you use on cakes.

DH even let me use his special fancy mixer to do it. :) I'll have to take a picture when it's done. I am wondering how I'm going to transfer this cake easily since I'll be transporting it on a transport bus.

I hope it works out well, and I hope she loves it! She'll be 9 this year. I figure it's the last little girl birthday. by this time next year I'm sure she'll be a young woman!

she's growing up!!! wawww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh well, back to cake boss while I have a few minutes to kick my feet up!

--------------------------------

EDIT: well, I got the fondant on the cake. at this point I'm calling it a learning experience. lol

you are your own worst critic, so I'm hoping that only I think it's that bad. I did this cake to get practice before making a more involved cake for DH's birthday in November, so when I post pictures, please be kind, I'd NEVER done this before. truth be told, I've hardly ever decorated a cake before.

here's what's happeneing: be big bottom lawyer is being trashed because the fondant looked really bad, and by the time I got done fixing the other two layers the fondant was too dry to fix. so, I'm going to call it a big practice cake. right now the cake is 2 small layers with the base fondant on them and I guess don't really look that bad. they went on much more smoothly.

I frosted the new bottom layer on buttercream and put it in the fridge to get the frosting to dry out a bit. I'm planning on making more fondant for tomorrow, then finish the cake up. I'll have until about 1 to do that.

Let's hope that once it's finished being decorated it will be better. Right now I'm just VERY tired and need to get away from the project.

what I have learned:

• next time I'm going to let the buttercream set longer and dry . since you can go back at it with knife that has been dipped in VERY hot water to smooth the icing out, this also makes it soft again.
  • Next time I'm going to use pound cake since it's much more dense and would probably be much more smooth to work with. guess that's why cake boss uses it so often.
  • Don't roll the fondant too thin, then it's too hard to fit it.
  • run over the cake with shortening on your hands to make the fondant look better after it's on. makes a BIG differerence in making it look better!

if there's anything that I've learned from sewing it's that almost anything can be fixed. lets hope that rings true with cakes!!!!!!!!

off to my break!

-----------------------------

Edit #2

I'm not TOTALLY done with it yet, I'm going to scrape away the edges of excess frosting to make it look a bit neater. I'm thinking of covering the corners with the left over Fondant, but right now I've had it.

That and I'm afraid if I mess with it much more I'll toss it in the trash or something :P

I was thinking about scrapping it all, figuring on top of everthing it probably would taste bad. I took a bite of the layer I took off and realized that it actually tastes pretty good! and I dont even like frosting!

Keep in mind that I've never been taught how to decorate a cake other than what I taught myself on the internet.

what do you think, good enough for a 9 (birthday girl)and a 3 year old? :) I think it looks like something out of Dr Seuss!

-------------------

I took a quick pick at the top of the stairs (pic is slightly editied to get the mail out of the way)

here's the cake I'm going to give to my niece!

the buttercream frosting I used that was supposed to keep the fondant in place just made it slide. miracle it worked out as well as it did! this was a practice cake, lets see how well I can do next time!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

My cake was a HUGE hit! :) my oldest niece who is turning 9 saw it, gasped and wided eyes just said WOW!!! she LOVED it!

my younger niece who is 3 announced that when it is her birthday, she wants a cake like this one! so it looks like I'm making another one in about 6 months. :) my younest niece looks at cake a a place to hold the frosting that she loves to eat, so she was VERY happy. She kept taking the flowers off and eating them.

looks like I survied my first cake experience, so I plan to continue with it. :)

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Replies (1-9):
jamielynnef2
by Butterfly Mahi on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Can't wait to see pics :-) I love making cakes and cupcakes :-) its fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Spitfire_Bobbie on Aug. 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Good luck on the transporting it part. LOL That would make me nervous.

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Aug. 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I've never played around with fondant...fancy!
I can't wait to see the pics ;)

SuperWoman8
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

plan right now it to put it on a cookie sheet, then cover it with a clothes basket. they make things to carry cakes in but I don't have one.

right now cakes are cooling and I'll be frosting them soon. :)

Quoting bmw29:

Good luck on the transporting it part. LOL That would make me nervous.

jaehawk
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Are you making your fondant? If so will you post the recipe in the recipe forum here please?! I love to try new fondant recipes :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperWoman8
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Quoting taKENheart:

OK,  but don't laugh! having much harder time with this cake then I did my practice cakes!

Mipsy
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I can't wait to see pics! I used fondant for my sons first birthday, hated the taste! We used store bought, I wanna make marshmellow fondant

SuperWoman8
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:50 PM

here's where I found the recipe for the fondant:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rolling-fondant/detail.aspx

it's sticky when you take it out of the mixer, but if you coat your hands and workspace with cornstarch, then it takes away the stickyness.

Quoting jaehawk:

Are you making your fondant? If so will you post the recipe in the recipe forum here please?! I love to try new fondant recipes :)

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Quoting SuperWoman8:

Quoting taKENheart:

OK,  but don't laugh! having much harder time with this cake then I did my practice cakes!

I just saw the updates :) I don't think I could do any better.  I think it looks cute!  I'm fearful of trying stuff like that.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)