Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey ladies, I need help with my 4 yr old

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 285 Total Views
Hey ladies!
I need some advice about 4 yr old dd and bed time.
Every night she refuses to eat her dinner in a timely manner. It takes her about 1 1/2-2 hours to even begin to clear her plate. When she finally does, it's bed time. (most the time) and she just loses it! She will not stay in her room, she comes out screaming for things (a drink, a book read to her among other demands) when they have all been fulfilled!
I am at my wits end. Any advice? Is it the age? It takes us like3 hours to get her to fall asleep! And no, she doesn't take naps. That would just be the end of the world if it tried lol!
Thanks in advance

Sorry about any and all errors, my phone sucks lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taKENheart
by Heatherly on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I wish I could help you with some tried and true methods but honestly I was a spanker.  I didn't have to do it a lot thankfully ;)
Good luck!  Hopefully a non spanker will have some great advice.

Robin_TripleA
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Oh, I'm spanker. It just doesn't phase her!

Quoting taKENheart:

I wish I could help you with some tried and true methods but honestly I was a spanker.  I didn't have to do it a lot thankfully ;)
Good luck!  Hopefully a non spanker will have some great advice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamielynnef2
by Butterfly Mahi on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Yikes, I'm sorry mama....I don't have any advice that I can say worked for me...I got lucky with my older two girls and didn't have that issue....I always kept them on a schedule though and they got bath before bed time and I was tried to make the hour and half before bed time as calm and peaceful as I could...we turn off the tv at bath time and kept it off...we would do bath and jammies and hair, then we would get some milk and a little snack like goldfish or fruit and sit down and read books for abouf a half hour and id have them read (from memory or picture tell) back to me...then brush our teeth then go get tucked in and id read the same book every night in their room after they got in bed (goodnight moon) say our prayers and then hit the lights....maybe try getting a super cool night light for her? Like stars or something and have her name them? Then she can lay there thinking of names and telling them.goodnight to.keep her mind off going to sleep.and then actually fall asleep?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Spitfire_Bobbie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was the exact same way. LOL My trick that worked with him was to tell him the first time he came out that he could have whatever it was that he wanted but he had to be still and quiet for 5 minutes first. If he moved or talked (any noise) the time started over. He couldn't tell time yet so he usually fell asleep after about 15 minutes. LMAO

bmw29
by Spitfire_Bobbie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Completely off topic but you are quite pretty. :)

Robin_TripleA
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM
That is an excellent idea! I will try that!
It's really frustrating since I don't feel good. It's a new thing too, it's been about a month and I'm pulling out my hair! LOL!

Quoting bmw29:

My son was the exact same way. LOL My trick that worked with him was to tell him the first time he came out that he could have whatever it was that he wanted but he had to be still and quiet for 5 minutes first. If he moved or talked (any noise) the time started over. He couldn't tell time yet so he usually fell asleep after about 15 minutes. LMAO

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robin_TripleA
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Omg you're so sweet! Thank you!

*blush* lol

Quoting bmw29:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robin_TripleA
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM
I do MOST of this. I let her pick out her own night light, like those pillow pet night light things that just came out... I forgot what it's called lol.
I think I just lose patients too quickly. After an hour or so I'm just frustrated and over it.
We do all the book reading etc before I actually put her to bed:/

Quoting jamielynnef2:

Yikes, I'm sorry mama....I don't have any advice that I can say worked for me...I got lucky with my older two girls and didn't have that issue....I always kept them on a schedule though and they got bath before bed time and I was tried to make the hour and half before bed time as calm and peaceful as I could...we turn off the tv at bath time and kept it off...we would do bath and jammies and hair, then we would get some milk and a little snack like goldfish or fruit and sit down and read books for abouf a half hour and id have them read (from memory or picture tell) back to me...then brush our teeth then go get tucked in and id read the same book every night in their room after they got in bed (goodnight moon) say our prayers and then hit the lights....maybe try getting a super cool night light for her? Like stars or something and have her name them? Then she can lay there thinking of names and telling them.goodnight to.keep her mind off going to sleep.and then actually fall asleep?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamielynnef2
by Butterfly Mahi on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Then I got nothin lol ...sorry...bobbies idea sounds good though :-)

Quoting Robin_TripleA:

I do MOST of this. I let her pick out her own night light, like those pillow pet night light things that just came out... I forgot what it's called lol.

I think I just lose patients too quickly. After an hour or so I'm just frustrated and over it.

We do all the book reading etc before I actually put her to bed:/

Quoting jamielynnef2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Spitfire_Bobbie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM
I hope it helps. Just be patient though because it will be rough the first few nights. She isn't going to believe you. LOL

That was the first time I have seen you when I wasn't mobile. I looked at your avatar and just had to tell you. :)

Quoting Robin_TripleA:

Omg you're so sweet! Thank you!

*blush* lol

Quoting bmw29:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)