Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

summer time food? or anytime food?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 190 Total Views
I made some potato salad for dinner, My so comes in and says potato salad is only for summer. I totally disagree! So, after a 10 min. Dicussion on it he decided to just side with me. (he knew I'd win any way Hehe.)

So My question to you ladies is, os potato salad only for summer? What other foods are only for certain seasons?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Nope but these are definately summer food:

Snow Cones, Gazpacho,Ice Cream (what google said, lol), Grilled Brats, Burgers & Ribs, Green Salad, Chicken, BLT's, Fresh Fruit, Fair Food, Corn on the Cob, lol 

LiveLaughLove00
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, heck it must be July cause I had ice cream earlier ;) lol.

Quoting Sassy762:

Nope but these are definately summer food:

Snow Cones, Gazpacho,Ice Cream (what google said, lol), Grilled Brats, Burgers & Ribs, Green Salad, Chicken, BLT's, Fresh Fruit, Fair Food, Corn on the Cob, lol 

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I do tend to think certain foods are for certain seasons but it doesn't stop me from having them when I want. For example, I still make potato soup or chili in the summer but most people prefer that type of food for winter.
I used to have the tradition that me and the kids would go get ice cream at the first snow fall of the season :) because it was us rebelling, LOL!!!

Basically I don't get hung up on "seasonal" dishes but I do understand the preference for other people. LOL Did I answer your question? LOL!!!

LiveLaughLove00
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM
NO! Now, im just confused thanks Heatherly! Lol jk. You did answer My question as always :)

On the second snowfall we always made snowcream yummy!

Quoting taKENheart:

I do tend to think certain foods are for certain seasons but it doesn't stop me from having them when I want. For example, I still make potato soup or chili in the summer but most people prefer that type of food for winter.
I used to have the tradition that me and the kids would go get ice cream at the first snow fall of the season :) because it was us rebelling, LOL!!!

Basically I don't get hung up on "seasonal" dishes but I do understand the preference for other people. LOL Did I answer your question? LOL!!!

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM

LOL!!! Ok ok...basically I side with YOU :P Now that answer should definitely count, haha!!!

ooooh well, if it actually snows this year then you'll need to tell me how to make that!!!

Quoting LiveLaughLove00:

NO! Now, im just confused thanks Heatherly! Lol jk. You did answer My question as always :)

Quoting taKENheart:

LiveLaughLove00
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this
As Long as us women are right thats all that really matters any way right huh? :)

Snow cream is One of the easiest sweet treats that were a rare occasion

1 gallon snow ( remember dont eat the yellow snow haha )

1 cup white sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 cups milk

Quoting taKENheart:

LOL!!! Ok ok...basically I side with YOU :P Now that answer should definitely count, haha!!!

ooooh well, if it actually snows this year then you'll need to tell me how to make that!!!

Quoting LiveLaughLove00:

Quoting taKENheart:

b.futlz
by Gamer Babe on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I think of things a seasonal foods but I will eat them anytime I want lol
jamielynnef2
by Butterfly Mahi on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I think of certain foods as seasonal however i make and/or eat them when I want lol living in Texas though, I usually don't make soups in the summer when.its 110 degrees lol .....

Our tradition is when we have the first snow, we go get steaks and grill them outside!! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I am a SNOW CREAM ADDICT:

Here are some different recipes:

Snow Ice Cream

Show: Episode: 

Total Time:
5 min
Prep
5 min
Yield:
8 to 10 servings
Level:
Easy

Ingredients

Directions

Place snow or shaved ice into a large bowl. Pour condensed milk over and add vanilla. Mix to combine. Serve immediately in bowls.

Snow Cream Recipes

Posted Friday, February 27, 2004

e-mail E-mail this page   print Printer-friendly page

Snow Cream - ice cream made from snow. What a great idea! Now, some people think this is unsanitary but if you're adventuresome, give it a try. It's a winter treat that doesn't happen often and tastes better than ice cream.

Snow Cream Recipe #1

1-3 Cups of Snow (make sure it's clean!)
1/2 Cup Whipping Cream or other cream of choice
1 T. Sugar
2-3 drops Vanilla flavoring
In a separate bowl, mix cream, sugar and vanilla. Slowly add snow to desired consistency. Eat and enjoy!

All ingredients can be adjusted to suit your particular preferences. You might want to try some other flavorings: cinnamon, butterscotch, almond, or eggnog mix.

Snow Cream Recipe #2

Sweetened Condensed Milk
Pure Vanilla Extract
Cut Mile with Real Milk or Water
Sugar
In a separate bowl, mix condensed milk, sugar and vanilla

Sandy's Old-time Snow Cream Recipe

Basic Recipe

1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
scant 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
large bowl of snow (about 3 quarts)

Blend milk, sugar and vanilla. Stir in enough snow to make snow cream to an ice cream consistency.

Variations - There are many variations for snow cream. For example, substitute canned cream for milk for a heavier flavor. Add Nestles Quik for a chocolate snow cream, or use instant cocoa mix. Another variation is to add plump raisins and cinnamon, or add a beaten egg for a nog taste. Puree an overripe banana and add to the mixture. Get creative - you know your family's tastes.

Note: ALWAYS - ALWAYS make sure the snow is clean. It takes at least one to two hours for snow to clean the pollutants from the air, then use only snow that has fallen after that first cleansing snow. It also goes without saying (but I will anyway), to make sure you do not collect the snow where animals and birds eat (or do other things). Cleanliness first. Stress that with the kids, because this is a treat even the younger ones can make for the whole family.

Beat 2 eggs ... cups milk or cream, 1 1/2 ... enough fresh, clean snow to create the ... like slush. Serve this yummy treat in a dish or ice cream cone.

Stir all ingredients ... to use. Scoop up your fresh, clean snow into a bowl and add the cream mixture to the desired consistency. Ready to eat! Yum! :)

Add ingredients to bowl. Mix with spatula. When thoroughly combined, serve and enjoy. 

Beat well until ... enough clean, fresh snow until the liquid ... snow. Note: Mom used to make snow ice cream "back home in Indiana." We kids loved it!!

Melt 1/4 cup ... medium heat. Add snow peas and saute ... to low. Add creamand heat through. ... bowls. Ladle soup into bowl. Can be prepared 1 day ahead.

In a medium ... sugar, vanilla and cream. Put snow in a large ... over it. Stir quickly before the snow melts. Taste add more sugar and vanilla if needed.

Mix cream and vanilla together. Layer snow in chilled bowl ... let cream drain to bottom, keep tossing gently. Eat immediately as soon as cream is frozen.

Put milk, sweetened ... 1 quart of snow and mix. Continue ... and looks like icecream. Be careful not to add to much snow. Serve right away. 10 servings.

Slowly pour the milk over the snow, then sprinkle ... fork. Sprinkle in the sugar and mix lightly. Eat immediately; do not try to freezer or refrigerate.

Mix well. Stir in enough clean fresh snow to make it about the consistency of homemade ice cream. Makes about 4 quarts.

Result Page: 1  2  3  4  5   Next
triplets0718
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM
We tend to eat it more in the summer, but I eat it year round. I also grill year round too! Even in the snow (if we ever get any this year!!)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)