Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you meet your husband/significant other?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 232 Total Views
4 moms liked this

I have an interesting story about how we met! I was in Myrtle Beach, SC with my friend Sharon from nursing school and we were cruising down the Grand Strand, and I saw a red Mustang convertible out of the corner of my eye, which was going down the other side of the street. I thought the guy in the passenger seat was hot, so I waved, and they both waved back. A few minutes later, we were at a red light, and this big, tall good-looking hunka man ( my hubby Dan) came running up to our car and leaned in the window. He had literally chased us down the street on foot! ( The Mustang was his BTW, but his friend was driving because Dan didn't know his way around Myrtle Beach, and Mike was from there.) He asked us if we wanted to go out for a drink and we (stupidly) said we would, and told him the hotel where we were staying. Sharon and I were both 19 at the time. After they followed us back to the hotel, they realized we weren't old enough to go to a bar, so we went for a drive and then sat on the beach with them. Looking back, that was REALLY DUMB! It's the kind of story you see on the news when the bodies wash up on the beach or disappear never to be seen again. Mike and Dan were both in the Navy at that time so they were pretty wordly, to say the least, LOL!!

Thankfully, it all worked out and we've been married for 17 years, and have 2 boys, and Mike and Sharon are also married with 2 boys!  Cool story,, huh?!?

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moosesmom
by Pal on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Long story. Short version.

I was at a 4th of July party. It was crowded. I had on the sexiest pair of stilettos EVER! But my dogs were barkin'! All the seats were taken. I was standing next to him and I said "move over". We ended up sharing a seat. Little small talk. He took out his phone and held it for a few minutes and I finally said "are you going to ask for my number or what?" We exchange numbers. Went to the lake the next day. Ended up at his room in the barracks. Gotta a little frisky. Yes this was our real first date. DON'T JUDGE ME! Anyway as they say the rest is history. We married, divorced, and then started dating again :-)

And yes your story was very cool!!! Nothing like hanging out with strangers and running the risk of being murdered. You're only young once. We live and learn and hope our kids don't do the same thing. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
offrdngal
by Terri on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Bill and I met in high school. I was a freshman, he was a junior. We were friends, then the following year we started dating. I broke up with him because of something he said that irked me. After he graduated, he joined the Army. When he got done wirh training, we got back together ('90). He asked me to marry to him, but I said no. I still has 2 years of school left and I didn't want him to feel tied down. I told him to ask again, once I graduate, if he still felt the same. We broke up and he moved away. I tried for years to find him, with no luck. In the meantime, I met my now-ex. We started dating in '95, I moved in with him in '96. In March '97, we got engaged...even though I knew things weren't good. I found out I was pregnant, in June '97, so we set a wedding. I knew that I shouldn't marry him, but I wanted my baby to have both parents (even though we fought all the time) and being with him was more convenient than moving back in with my parents.
Fwd to 2002...Bill showed up at my parent's house. I was there, but I had to pick up Derek from daycare, so I told him I'd meet him at my house in few minutes. We talked for bit, then he followed me up to where our friends lived. We all talked for a while, then he had to leave. He said he'd be back, but he never came back.
I kept trying to find him, but couldn't. My marriage went from worse to really worse throughout the years. I was talking to my friend (in '04) and she asked if I'd heard from Bill. She said "he ought to be divorced by now." I told her that I hadn't heard from him and couldn't find a current address. Her husband looked and found the same address that I found. So, I wrote a short, casual letter and sent it. A week later, I got a friend request from him, on Yahoo. We started talking, almost every day. We talked about our bad marriages, our kids and how neither of us stopped loving each other.
In March '05, he left his wife and moved in with father, who live in a suburb or Chicago...only 45 minutes from me. We continued to talk on regular basis, when he wasn't in the truck. During this time, my now-ex was becoming more verbally abusive (he'd been verbally abusive throughout our marriage) and one night it escalated to physical abuse. I kicked his sorry ass out and then Bill moved in (June '05).
Fifteen years after we last broke up, we finally got back together. We both got divorces and then in May '09, we got married. We have our issues, but I will never let him get away again.

JenniferW67
by Friend on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh...I remember those days. It's probably a miracle I'm still alive, or maybe the world was different back then. Love the  story!

I met my DH while I was on vacation, visiting a girlfriend in CO and recovering from a breakup. It was Valentines day and her hubby wanted to go to out to a country western club. I didn't care where we went as long as I could forget that it was Valentines day. Well, we sat a table next to a couple of cute guys and later in the night we asked one of them to take our picture. I started talk to one of the guys and we were having a good time and then he excused himself to use the bathroom. His friend, and my now dh swooped in, asked me to dance and then sat me at a different table so we could talk. We  closed the place, he asked for my phone # and address and I left with my friends and flew back to CA at 6am the next morning. Ouch!! Anyway, I thought I would never hear from him again, but I got a card in the mail a few days later. We wrote back and forth for 6 months until he got up the nerve to call me. I moved to CO and in with him a year later and we've been  married 101/2 years. It's funny because the night we met, he told his friend that he was going to marry me and he did!

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Let's see...I was 22 and met him right before I started nursing school. I was newly a single mom of two. He had two from his previous.  We met in my club as he was stationed an hour away.  That night I saw him as I did my scan of the club for a good looking man. I walked straight up to him as he was looking at me and we both said hello. We continued to talk about life oddly enough...I mean who does that in a club?  I guess that impressed him enough to walk me to my car when the club closed. He kissed me like I had never been kissed before. 3days later he called and I acted like I didn't know who he was :) Then he explained and I said "Oh yes, I remember you" lol!!! I mean, if he was going to play games...so was I.  We were inseparable after that. We dated for 5months with one break up. He went to warrant officer candidate school for 5months and the day after he came back we got married.  I usually get the years wrong but it's because I only want to remember the day he came into my life. I don't want to think about anything else. He made my life what it is today. I adore him. We've been together since 1997 and married since 1998. He is everything to me.  My children love him enough to be adopted at 18. His children are like my own, imo. Sure they have a fabulous mother but I am so happy to provide a place where they feel comfortable enough to visit and actually love me back :)
I can't complain about anything...ups and downs but ultimately this is my family and I'm in love :)
Nobody will ever get my stomach butterflies going like he does. He has loved me through so much and vice versa...this is it. No chance of divorce at this point and I trust him with my life.
If someone had told me that at 22 that it was impossible to meet your soul mate then I would have agreed because I was a newly single mother.
My mother has been married 6times. I'm on #2...both of our exes are on #3.
I have complete faith that I found my man :)

moosesmom
by Pal on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
AWWWWWW! If your story was a book I would so buy it! Best love story ever :-)

Quoting offrdngal:

Bill and I met in high school. I was a freshman, he was a junior. We were friends, then the following year we started dating. I broke up with him because of something he said that irked me. After he graduated, he joined the Army. When he got done wirh training, we got back together ('90). He asked me to marry to him, but I said no. I still has 2 years of school left and I didn't want him to feel tied down. I told him to ask again, once I graduate, if he still felt the same. We broke up and he moved away. I tried for years to find him, with no luck. In the meantime, I met my now-ex. We started dating in '95, I moved in with him in '96. In March '97, we got engaged...even though I knew things weren't good. I found out I was pregnant, in June '97, so we set a wedding. I knew that I shouldn't marry him, but I wanted my baby to have both parents (even though we fought all the time) and being with him was more convenient than moving back in with my parents.

Fwd to 2002...Bill showed up at my parent's house. I was there, but I had to pick up Derek from daycare, so I told him I'd meet him at my house in few minutes. We talked for bit, then he followed me up to where our friends lived. We all talked for a while, then he had to leave. He said he'd be back, but he never came back.

I kept trying to find him, but couldn't. My marriage went from worse to really worse throughout the years. I was talking to my friend (in '04) and she asked if I'd heard from Bill. She said "he ought to be divorced by now." I told her that I hadn't heard from him and couldn't find a current address. Her husband looked and found the same address that I found. So, I wrote a short, casual letter and sent it. A week later, I got a friend request from him, on Yahoo. We started talking, almost every day. We talked about our bad marriages, our kids and how neither of us stopped loving each other.

In March '05, he left his wife and moved in with father, who live in a suburb or Chicago...only 45 minutes from me. We continued to talk on regular basis, when he wasn't in the truck. During this time, my now-ex was becoming more verbally abusive (he'd been verbally abusive throughout our marriage) and one night it escalated to physical abuse. I kicked his sorry ass out and then Bill moved in (June '05).

Fifteen years after we last broke up, we finally got back together. We both got divorces and then in May '09, we got married. We have our issues, but I will never let him get away again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Pal on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Hold the phone! You slob this man down within hours of meeting him and then you pretend like you don't know him?!? Smooooooth! You handled him like a "G". LOL!

Quoting taKENheart:

Let's see...I was 22 and met him right before I started nursing school. I was newly a single mom of two. He had two from his previous.  We met in my club as he was stationed an hour away.  That night I saw him as I did my scan of the club for a good looking man. I walked straight up to him as he was looking at me and we both said hello. We continued to talk about life oddly enough...I mean who does that in a club?  I guess that impressed him enough to walk me to my car when the club closed. He kissed me like I had never been kissed before. 3days later he called and I acted like I didn't know who he was :) Then he explained and I said "Oh yes, I remember you" lol!!! I mean, if he was going to play games...so was I.  We were inseparable after that. We dated for 5months with one break up. He went to warrant officer candidate school for 5months and the day after he came back we got married.  I usually get the years wrong but it's because I only want to remember the day he came into my life. I don't want to think about anything else. He made my life what it is today. I adore him. We've been together since 1997 and married since 1998. He is everything to me.  My children love him enough to be adopted at 18. His children are like my own, imo. Sure they have a fabulous mother but I am so happy to provide a place where they feel comfortable enough to visit and actually love me back :)
I can't complain about anything...ups and downs but ultimately this is my family and I'm in love :)
Nobody will ever get my stomach butterflies going like he does. He has loved me through so much and vice versa...this is it. No chance of divorce at this point and I trust him with my life.
If someone had told me that at 22 that it was impossible to meet your soul mate then I would have agreed because I was a newly single mother.
My mother has been married 6times. I'm on #2...both of our exes are on #3.
I have complete faith that I found my man :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taKENheart
by Heatherly on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:04 PM

He laid me out on my car with passionate kisses. I'm surprised he didn't go home with me :) Sure that is naughty enough but I can tell you I would have went all the way. Naughty and OK, That's nasty of me but YES, I would have, LOL!!!
I did try to handle it like a "G" and have you heard that new song? I'm confused by it. Fly like a G 6? What's that about?

Quoting moosesmom:

Hold the phone! You slob this man down within hours of meeting him and then you pretend like you don't know him?!? Smooooooth! You handled him like a "G". LOL!

Quoting taKENheart:
moosesmom
by Pal on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it has something to do with a type of airplane or jet. I think a G6 is the model of a jet. Not sure but I think that's how it was explained to me.

Quoting taKENheart:

He laid me out on my car with passionate kisses. I'm surprised he didn't go home with me :) Sure that is naughty enough but I can tell you I would have went all the way. Naughty and OK, That's nasty of me but YES, I would have, LOL!!!
I did try to handle it like a "G" and have you heard that new song? I'm confused by it. Fly like a G 6? What's that about?

Quoting moosesmom:

Quoting taKENheart:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JenniferW67:

Oh...I remember those days. It's probably a miracle I'm still alive, or maybe the world was different back then. Love the  story!

I met my DH while I was on vacation, visiting a girlfriend in CO and recovering from a breakup. It was Valentines day and her hubby wanted to go to out to a country western club. I didn't care where we went as long as I could forget that it was Valentines day. Well, we sat a table next to a couple of cute guys and later in the night we asked one of them to take our picture. I started talk to one of the guys and we were having a good time and then he excused himself to use the bathroom. His friend, and my now dh swooped in, asked me to dance and then sat me at a different table so we could talk. We  closed the place, he asked for my phone # and address and I left with my friends and flew back to CA at 6am the next morning. Ouch!! Anyway, I thought I would never hear from him again, but I got a card in the mail a few days later. We wrote back and forth for 6 months until he got up the nerve to call me. I moved to CO and in with him a year later and we've been  married 101/2 years. It's funny because the night we met, he told his friend that he was going to marry me and he did!

The thing is, that was TOTALLY out of character for me! I was very sheltered and naive and innocent. My friend Sharon was the um, shall we say, very friendly one! There is a whole lot more to the story than what I'm sharing here, just because it would take too long to explain but that was a VERY interesting weekend!

We had always joked that we wouldn't tell our kids that story; we said we would make something up like, that we met at a church ice cream social and courted while chaperoned for 3 years. We went to a wedding last summer for a friend from church and ended up sitting at the reception with our pastor and his wife, and one of our deacons and his wife. Somehow or other, the topic of how we met got brought up, and I said very mechanically, " We met at a church ice cream social and we courted for 3 years. " Of course, everyone was laughing and my pastor's wife said, "Yeah right!" We just told them we met at Myrtle Beach and left out a few details, LOL!!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

VintageWife
by Pal on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Everyone's stories are so great! I'll type mine out. Hope it doesn't get long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)