Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Some Advice and Encouragement Please... (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 280 Total Views

Hi Ladies,

Long story short, I am now a stay at home mom and full time student. Kirk and I are back together and I have no complaints so far. I hope this continues especially after the news I got this morning from my doctor.

I had an MRI done on Friday morning. My doctor called this morning and told me my arthritis is still mild but now all five discs in my lower back are herniated. When I was 20 years old, I was told I have arthritis inmy lower back and the last two discs are bulging. I was not expecting to hear that all five are now herniated. I did not ask all the questions I have written down because I was in shock and needed some time to process this. I have been crying off and on all morning because I am scared I won't be able to run around and play with my son if things don't improve. He is only nine months old and weighs close to 20 pounds now.

She said surgery is a last option because I am only 25 years old and the discs are not pressing against my spinal cord. Physical therapy is what I have to do but it is so painful! I am curled up in a ball after each session and I am still breastfeeding so I don't want to take any meds. Also, WIC gave me a breast pump and I signed a paper saying I understand they will not pay for his formula if I take the breast pump. I cannot afford formula especially since we only have one income now. School is still going okay. My GPA is now a 3.6 instead of the 4.0 I was trying to keep. I did make the Dean's List for last Fall and hope I can manage to stay on it somehow.

I am in pain 24/7. I vacuumed my place yesterday and was on the verge of tears all day. I still feel like my back is on fire. Please tell me what you would do. Would you swith to formula? What about school? I could really use some encouraging words right now, I am so scared I will not be able to do the things I want to do later on in life.

Thank You,

Keshawnah

P.S.- Here is a pic of Karter to enjoy. :)

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misslady80013
by Acquaintance on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Anyone?

jaehawk
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Well dang! You are definately in my thoughts and prayers Mama! Only advice I have is to make sure and keep your teachers in the loop about your health condition. I have usually found that they are pretty easy to work with as far as assignments when they know something serioous is going on. As far as WIC, I would get a statement from your doctor explaining your condition and the need for medication that would not be beneficial to your son. Maybe they will switch him to formula, I had to get a doctors note for my son to recieve special formula when he was a baby.

I hope this helps some. 

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Is it possible to return the breast pump so they can pay for the formula? I mean they can't expect you to breastfeed for the entire year...it's great if you can but if you can't then you can't.  If you can continue using the breast pump for 3 more months that would be good...no worries about paying for formula. Perhaps you can't actually hold him to breastfeed because of his weight but you could use a bottle w/breastmilk. :) It's not too much longer.

I would seriously consider the surgery even though the doctor said it would be a last resort. 
As far as school goes...I really don't know what to say but let me give it a go :) I think no matter what you should continue. Perhaps you aren't able to go full time every semester...that's ok.  Never give up on your dream to finish.  Many people with disabilities go on to live very fulfilling lives. Have you seen the young lady that has no arms? She was on The Jeff Probst show recently. She does everything with her feet and I mean everything. Nothing stopped her from living a productive life like everybody else.  Look for every silver lining that you can grab ahold of to keep your spirits up.  You may have the surgery in a few years and be ok and if you stop going to school then you will regret it at that time.  You must believe in yourself and all the wonderful opportunities that are just out there waiting for you.  Your life isn't over...is it difficult right now? Yes. Is it hard to see the bright future through those tears? Yes.  Can you make it through this even though it may be painful at times? YES my dear...Yes you can.

btw, your baby is absolutely adorable!
HUGS!

hanna06
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry your going through all this. Just remember, god only gives you in life what he knows you can handle.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jamielynnef2
by Butterfly Mahi on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM
2 moms liked this
As far as wic, my sisterinlaw was breast feeding and got the pump to use as well...when you chose breastfeeding, they won't pay for formula, however when the month is up, go into wic the 1st day in Feb and tell them you want to switch to the breaatfeed/formula option, they will only provide you with part formula and still give you the milk and things for you since you are continuing to breast feed....if after Feb you decide you just can't take it and you need to do all formula you can change it again...they'll have you take the breast pump back and give you formula for the month......you just have to make sure you go in on the first or the first dayvthey are open after the first. You can't change your plans in the middle of the month for wic....also, if you do the partial breastfeed and partial formula for atleast Feb, that will give your lil cutie time to adjust to formula :-) .....I did all my research on wic bc I felt like I was being lied to by my brother and so I went at him with all the info Hahaha

As for your back, I feel your pain! I had the same issue before my last pregnancy, then I got injured on a waterpark ride and did even more damage....the pregnancy with the twins,I thought for sure was going to end up doing even more damage....I honestly don't know how I made it through the whole pregnancy without any pain medication except for the fact that my babies health was more important than any pain I had....lol ...and now, I cant take meds, I have too much going on and twins that need my full attention :-) ....I have found that ice and then heat help, I will ice my back until its numb lol also look up specific stretches to do...not going to lie, it hurts like hell to do them, but the more you do them the better they start helping your back feel...I have the 2 herniated and 1 bulging and fractures tailbone and severe sciatica ....so not quite as bad bc sometime the one doesn't bother me unless I've done something too much....I just bear through it and then at night is when it all.hits me and my body feels like its going to fall apart...also, working out helps relieve my pain...it hurts at first but like with the stretches it gets easier and starts feeling even better....other than that...I have no suggestions :-(.....I hope you find relief soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Spitfire_Bobbie on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Goodness you have a lot going on right now. Before I say anything else I must say that you have an adorable baby. LOL I want to pinch those little cheeks so bad I can't stand it. OK, now on to your post...

I don't know anything about WIC but I do know about back pain although you seem to have it worse than I do for sure. Don't beat yourself up about anything that you can't do. If you can't stand the pain and need the medication then go to WIC and tell them. Have your doctor write a note saying why you need the meds and they should work with you I would think. I'm sorry that you are hurting so much, if I lived near you I would come over and vacuum for you. I hope the PT helps.

feel better

misslady80013
by Acquaintance on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't think about that, thank you. Yes, it helped a lot and thanks for taking a moment to respond.

Quoting jaehawk:

Well dang! You are definately in my thoughts and prayers Mama! Only advice I have is to make sure and keep your teachers in the loop about your health condition. I have usually found that they are pretty easy to work with as far as assignments when they know something serioous is going on. As far as WIC, I would get a statement from your doctor explaining your condition and the need for medication that would not be beneficial to your son. Maybe they will switch him to formula, I had to get a doctors note for my son to recieve special formula when he was a baby.

I hope this helps some. 

misslady80013
by Acquaintance on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I am going to call my WIC case worker tomorrow to see if I can return the pump.From the way things were worded on the paper, it doesn't sound like I can but I will try. Thank you so much, I have just been going through the motions today because I was not ready or expecting that news this morning.

Thank you, he is my motivation to keep going.

Quoting taKENheart:

Is it possible to return the breast pump so they can pay for the formula? I mean they can't expect you to breastfeed for the entire year...it's great if you can but if you can't then you can't.  If you can continue using the breast pump for 3 more months that would be good...no worries about paying for formula. Perhaps you can't actually hold him to breastfeed because of his weight but you could use a bottle w/breastmilk. :) It's not too much longer.

I would seriously consider the surgery even though the doctor said it would be a last resort. 
As far as school goes...I really don't know what to say but let me give it a go :) I think no matter what you should continue. Perhaps you aren't able to go full time every semester...that's ok.  Never give up on your dream to finish.  Many people with disabilities go on to live very fulfilling lives. Have you seen the young lady that has no arms? She was on The Jeff Probst show recently. She does everything with her feet and I mean everything. Nothing stopped her from living a productive life like everybody else.  Look for every silver lining that you can grab ahold of to keep your spirits up.  You may have the surgery in a few years and be ok and if you stop going to school then you will regret it at that time.  You must believe in yourself and all the wonderful opportunities that are just out there waiting for you.  Your life isn't over...is it difficult right now? Yes. Is it hard to see the bright future through those tears? Yes.  Can you make it through this even though it may be painful at times? YES my dear...Yes you can.

btw, your baby is absolutely adorable!
HUGS!

misslady80013
by Acquaintance on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you, I forget to remind myself of this sometimes.

Quoting hanna06:

I'm sorry your going through all this. Just remember, god only gives you in life what he knows you can handle.
misslady80013
by Acquaintance on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you, for the helpful info. :)

Wow, I am sorry you are in pain too. I am so tired of people telling me "You are too young to be in that much pain." Smh, they just don't get pain has no age. I really hope you feel better soon. The stretches hurt a lot but I have to do something. I want to be able to play with my son at the park when he is older. You know what I mean?

Quoting jamielynnef2:

As far as wic, my sisterinlaw was breast feeding and got the pump to use as well...when you chose breastfeeding, they won't pay for formula, however when the month is up, go into wic the 1st day in Feb and tell them you want to switch to the breaatfeed/formula option, they will only provide you with part formula and still give you the milk and things for you since you are continuing to breast feed....if after Feb you decide you just can't take it and you need to do all formula you can change it again...they'll have you take the breast pump back and give you formula for the month......you just have to make sure you go in on the first or the first dayvthey are open after the first. You can't change your plans in the middle of the month for wic....also, if you do the partial breastfeed and partial formula for atleast Feb, that will give your lil cutie time to adjust to formula :-) .....I did all my research on wic bc I felt like I was being lied to by my brother and so I went at him with all the info Hahaha

As for your back, I feel your pain! I had the same issue before my last pregnancy, then I got injured on a waterpark ride and did even more damage....the pregnancy with the twins,I thought for sure was going to end up doing even more damage....I honestly don't know how I made it through the whole pregnancy without any pain medication except for the fact that my babies health was more important than any pain I had....lol ...and now, I cant take meds, I have too much going on and twins that need my full attention :-) ....I have found that ice and then heat help, I will ice my back until its numb lol also look up specific stretches to do...not going to lie, it hurts like hell to do them, but the more you do them the better they start helping your back feel...I have the 2 herniated and 1 bulging and fractures tailbone and severe sciatica ....so not quite as bad bc sometime the one doesn't bother me unless I've done something too much....I just bear through it and then at night is when it all.hits me and my body feels like its going to fall apart...also, working out helps relieve my pain...it hurts at first but like with the stretches it gets easier and starts feeling even better....other than that...I have no suggestions :-(.....I hope you find relief soon!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)