Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Collections and Heirlooms/ Pics added pg2 :) ENJOY

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM
  • 33 Replies
  • 319 Total Views

What do you collect? Do you have any family Heirlooms?

I used to collect ceramic shoes...I don't know why because I never had a shoe fetish.  There is one shoe out of my collection that I never gave up when I chose not to collect them anymore.
It is a baby bronzed shoe. I should take a pic for you guys.
I think it only has the baby's name "Ollie" and the year.  I tried to find the owner through the company but the company doesn't exist anymore.

That's my little tidbit :) Tell me yours.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taKENheart
by Heatherly on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My Oma had a beautiful picture of Jesus with children above her bed my whole life. I looked at it every single day while she raised me until I was 9.  I'll never lay eyes on that picture again and that saddens me.  She also had a picture of an angel on a bridge with 2 children that she had...she gave me a collector's plate of the same scene. I still have it but have never hung it for fear something would happen to it.  She had more things but I can't think of the name brands right now.

JenniferW67
by Friend on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Reading this melted my heart. What happened to the picture she had above her bed?

I don't have too many sentimental things that have been passed down. I have an iron door stop in the shape of a scottie dog from my grandma. I loved seeing it in her home and now in mine. I also have my grandparents antique clock. It was a really big deal that it was given to me. It  caused some bad blood between my mom and her brother for a while. He thought it should go to his son. My grandma told me she wanted me to have it many times. I would wind it up for her. It would always lose time as far back as everyone could remember. They had paid clock repairmen to fix it, but they never could. As soon as we got it, my DH worked on it  for weeks and it works perfectly now. My mom just gushes over him for being so determined.

I collect antique paintings of dogs. And as corny as it sounds, DH and I collect heart shaped rocks. The lake that we live by has flat rocks on its shore and every Valentines day we go out no matter how cold and look for more to add to our collection.

Quoting taKENheart:

My Oma had a beautiful picture of Jesus with children above her bed my whole life. I looked at it every single day while she raised me until I was 9.  I'll never lay eyes on that picture again and that saddens me.  She also had a picture of an angel on a bridge with 2 children that she had...she gave me a collector's plate of the same scene. I still have it but have never hung it for fear something would happen to it.  She had more things but I can't think of the name brands right now.

jamielynnef2
by Butterfly Mahi on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:16 AM
I collect butterflies and turtles...big shocker there Haha...oh and coffee mugs...Idk why lol but I have soo many coffee mugs and some I won't let anyone use bc I don't want them broken lol ...soon I will be collecting tea pots .......as for things passed down.....I have my great gma hanky...she sewed her initials and flowers on it...I have my poppops bible...well, he bought it for my mom when she was 4 and she used it up until her teens for jr bible quiz team...then when she didn't care for it anymore he kept it for her...as he would read through it (he did on a daily basis) he would write dates and little memos down on the pages he had been reading...he did that until he passed away in 2010 so that was a lil over 15yrs...so when I go through it almost every page has dates and dif things he wrote about in it...and in the front he wrote everyone bday and welcomed each new family member to the world....I have my gparents cedar chest that they got on their wedding day of march 10,1950 ....I have my nanas Shirley temple doll she had when she was younger....and when I was 16 my mom gave me a saphire ring with diamonds all around it that was hers and I always admired, so I plan to pass that down to one of my girls and hope they keep it in the family :-) ....I also have my poppops cuff links that were his dads from Italy....and last but not least....when my poppop passed away, I kept his tie that he wore to walk me down the aisle on my wedding day...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
b.futlz
by Gamer Babe on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:55 AM
1 mom liked this
That is so sweet....I've never seen a heart shaped rock

Quoting JenniferW67:

Reading this melted my heart. What happened to the picture she had above her bed?

I don't have too many sentimental things that have been passed down. I have an iron door stop in the shape of a scottie dog from my grandma. I loved seeing it in her home and now in mine. I also have my grandparents antique clock. It was a really big deal that it was given to me. It  caused some bad blood between my mom and her brother for a while. He thought it should go to his son. My grandma told me she wanted me to have it many times. I would wind it up for her. It would always lose time as far back as everyone could remember. They had paid clock repairmen to fix it, but they never could. As soon as we got it, my DH worked on it  for weeks and it works perfectly now. My mom just gushes over him for being so determined.

I collect antique paintings of dogs. And as corny as it sounds, DH and I collect heart shaped rocks. The lake that we live by has flat rocks on its shore and every Valentines day we go out no matter how cold and look for more to add to our collection.

Quoting taKENheart:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
b.futlz
by Gamer Babe on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I use to collect porcelain dolls.....now I guess you could say I collect converses.......don't really have anything that's been passed down :/ but after my poppy died I kept two of his favorite hats and his hanky
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
taKENheart
by Heatherly on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM

:) aww
When my Oma passed away in 2003 one of my uncles took it straight off the wall while everyone was distracted in another room. He died a year ago next month and my aunt was able to get it. She has never been a healthy part of the family as an adult. I was actually raised with her...she's only about 4yrs older than me.

That is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard.  What a nice way to spend the day...finding heart shaped rocks :). Do you keep them in a bowl to display? Do you write the year on the back of each one? 
I think that's is awesome that your dh was able to repair the clock :) I wonder what causes it to not keep the correct time before.
Isn't it sad when receiving sentimental items from family causes a rift?  It's really the saddest thing.

Quoting JenniferW67:

Quoting taKENheart:

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM

as in shoes? LOL!
Men don't seem to carry handkerchiefs anymore. How sweet that you have his :)

Quoting b.futlz:

I use to collect porcelain dolls.....now I guess you could say I collect converses.......don't really have anything that's been passed down :/ but after my poppy died I kept two of his favorite hats and his hanky

JenniferW67
by Friend on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM

That's so cool you have the hats!

Like Converse sneakers? I had a red pair that I loved. I want a pair of pale blue now.

Quoting b.futlz:

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Butterflies? You don't say, LOL! Ok I didn't know about the turtles though.  Just how many mugs do you have, Missy Jack?
How sweet that you have poppops bible from your mom.  I bet you really treasure that one :) Oh and the tie he wore of course  :) such sweet memories you have there.  I'm a bit jealous but I love hearing all the stories :)
How will you decide who gets the sapphire ring? That's going to be a tough one.  Will Ej get the cuff links?

Quoting jamielynnef2:

I collect butterflies and turtles...big shocker there Haha...oh and coffee mugs...Idk why lol but I have soo many coffee mugs and some I won't let anyone use bc I don't want them broken lol ...soon I will be collecting tea pots .......as for things passed down.....I have my great gma hanky...she sewed her initials and flowers on it...I have my poppops bible...well, he bought it for my mom when she was 4 and she used it up until her teens for jr bible quiz team...then when she didn't care for it anymore he kept it for her...as he would read through it (he did on a daily basis) he would write dates and little memos down on the pages he had been reading...he did that until he passed away in 2010 so that was a lil over 15yrs...so when I go through it almost every page has dates and dif things he wrote about in it...and in the front he wrote everyone bday and welcomed each new family member to the world....I have my gparents cedar chest that they got on their wedding day of march 10,1950 ....I have my nanas Shirley temple doll she had when she was younger....and when I was 16 my mom gave me a saphire ring with diamonds all around it that was hers and I always admired, so I plan to pass that down to one of my girls and hope they keep it in the family :-) ....I also have my poppops cuff links that were his dads from Italy....and last but not least....when my poppop passed away, I kept his tie that he wore to walk me down the aisle on my wedding day...

JenniferW67
by Friend on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Is there any way to get it from your Aunt, or is too awkward to ask?

We have a fountain that we keep them in. I think eventually, when we have enough,  I'll make some mosaic pavers with them.

I'm not sure what was wrong with the clock. I just know he tinkered and tinkered with it. He loves to fix things. We are complete opposites that way. Its a really good thing this world doesn't count on me to invent or fix things. We wouldn't even have fire or the wheel yet. lol

Quoting taKENheart:

:) aww
When my Oma passed away in 2003 one of my uncles took it straight off the wall while everyone was distracted in another room. He died a year ago next month and my aunt was able to get it. She has never been a healthy part of the family as an adult. I was actually raised with her...she's only about 4yrs older than me.

That is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard.  What a nice way to spend the day...finding heart shaped rocks :). Do you keep them in a bowl to display? Do you write the year on the back of each one? 
I think that's is awesome that your dh was able to repair the clock :) I wonder what causes it to not keep the correct time before.
Isn't it sad when receiving sentimental items from family causes a rift?  It's really the saddest thing.

Quoting JenniferW67:

Quoting taKENheart:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)