Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well sue me...update 3/18

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember the accident my ds got into back in Sept?  Well, looks like one of the people in the accident wants him to pay medical bills.  Doesn't that just suck big hairy donkey balls?!?!

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?  They have a lawyer and that is who sent the letter I believe.  I'll have to look again.  We are calling our insurance in the morning.  I sure hope this isn't a long list of bills headed his way :(
Wish us luck!

Update: Dh called and USAA knew about the letter sent to us and they are taking care of everything.  They usually do just handle it without even contacting us most times.  I'm so happy that he's not going to have to pay out of his little wallet.  I do hope that the people involved in the accident aren't suffering in pain though :( I do worry about that because no amount of money can fix that.

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Replies (31-37):
bmw29
by Spitfire_Bobbie on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad your insurance is covering everything and while I understand and admire your concern for the other people involved it truly was an accident. He wasn't drunk or anything like that. Things like this happen all the time, it's just one of the many risks we take by living. 

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Oh but any pain is difficult :/ I'm glad it isn't that bad and you manage.
I got mine on my 16th bday :) and I know I was better at driving than my kids are.  I think some people just have good driving instincts and some people are unlucky on the road.  Who knows, lol!

Quoting bmw29:

I do still have some hip pain but nothing I can't handle. :) I got my license at 16 but dh didn't get his until he was almost 18 and he hasn't ever had an at fault accident so you just never know.

Quoting taKENheart:
bmw29
by Spitfire_Bobbie on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I took more risks when I was young though. LOL Most kids do, they think they are invincible and only age and a harsh dose of reality will convince them otherwise. I'm lucky to have lived through my teen years.

Quoting taKENheart:

Oh but any pain is difficult :/ I'm glad it isn't that bad and you manage.
I got mine on my 16th bday :) and I know I was better at driving than my kids are.  I think some people just have good driving instincts and some people are unlucky on the road.  Who knows, lol!

Quoting bmw29:

I do still have some hip pain but nothing I can't handle. :) I got my license at 16 but dh didn't get his until he was almost 18 and he hasn't ever had an at fault accident so you just never know.

Quoting taKENheart:

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Well so far they are and I don't know if they will continue. I was still asleep when dh called, lol! I know...it really was an accident in the rain with an unseasoned driver :/ but I believe this claim is from the elderly man involved :( so it makes me worried that he has a more serious issue. I know that throwing money at him won't make any pain go away so I just can't stop thinking about him. You are right though...anytime we get in a car it's a risk just like with anything else.
Quoting bmw29:

I'm glad your insurance is covering everything and while I understand and admire your concern for the other people involved it truly was an accident. He wasn't drunk or anything like that. Things like this happen all the time, it's just one of the many risks we take by living. 

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Oh wow! 2yrs??!! Oh that's so long :/
I just can't understand that length of time.
I hope ds won't be having anymore accidents...I've noticed he does drive a lot slower now and does not want to drive in the rain :(

Quoting offrdngal:

Quoting taKENheart:

It depends on your state's statute of limitations. In Indiana, SOL is 2 years from the date of the accident.

CountryMom9010
by New on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah. We'll be paying for it for awhile. We just dont have the $$ to pay it all & it was a clear accident. the people slammed on their breaks and shawns breaks werent that good at the time and it all happened so fast. so whatever. It has just put another chip on our shoulders but we are slowly working it off. :(

Quoting taKENheart:

Oh wow!  That's awful! He is still paying after all these years?
I really think that if it is a clear accident then people shouldn't be able to sue and insurance agencies should take care of everything...I mean they get their money  from everyone and some of us don't have situations where they have to do what they are there for :/ so they are racking in the money!  Maybe I am wrong...shrugs.

Quoting CountryMom9010:

G'Luck!!
Shawn lost his insurance in '09 and the day after, he got into a wreck. He got sued for $4,000. :( We hafta pay $50 every month till it gets paid off. I hope yalls situation is better than ours by far!! 

Sassy762
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank goodness your DS doesn't have to pay out of pocket for this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)