Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 20 year high school reunion: Should I go?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 229 Total Views

I live 10 hours away from where I grew up.I'm from SC and I live in PA.My 20 year high school reunion is coming up and there is talk of it being held next month. My husband and I have been trying to tentatively plan a trip down there next month to visit my family; we haven't been there since Christmas. His work schedule is so unpredictable it's hard to plan. Anyway, I was absolutely miserable in high school and hated every second. For some reason, I'm having a moment of temporary insanity and actually considering going to my reunion. Part of me wants to show off to those jerks. I want to show off my extremely hot husband and my two handsome boys. The other part of me says they're not worth it and don't bother. I have this vision in my mind that it would be like it was in high school, me hiding in a corner, but I"m not that scared, mousey little girl anymore. I have a wonderful family and I am a Zumba instructor so obviously, I have some self-confidence I never had before. Should I go or is it not worth the effort?

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Spitfire_Bobbie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I don't plan to go to mine and I still live here in town. LOL I still see most of those people all the time anyway. Prom sucked so I have no doubt that the reunion will too. 

offrdngal
by Terri on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I didn't go to my 10 year nor my 20 year.  It's true when they say "leopards can't change their spots".  I joined the fb page that my class had started (before the 20 yr) and I ended up quickly un-joining...it was the same old shit from the same people.  The cliques don't change.

It's up to you, whether or not "showing off" is worth paying the money to deal with people you didn't like/talk to and probably won't talk to.

I couldn't be bothered...they weren't worth my time, in HS and they still aren't worth my time.

offrdngal
by Terri on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I couldn't even bothered to go to prom.  Didn't want to associate with them.  LOL

Quoting bmw29:

I don't plan to go to mine and I still live here in town. LOL I still see most of those people all the time anyway. Prom sucked so I have no doubt that the reunion will too. 

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Quoting offrdngal:

I didn't go to my 10 year nor my 20 year.  It's true when they say "leopards can't change their spots".  I joined the fb page that my class had started (before the 20 yr) and I ended up quickly un-joining...it was the same old shit from the same people.  The cliques don't change.

It's up to you, whether or not "showing off" is worth paying the money to deal with people you didn't like/talk to and probably won't talk to.

I couldn't be bothered...they weren't worth my time, in HS and they still aren't worth my time.

Yeah I decided not to go. I also joined the class of 1993 page which is how I found out about the reunion. It's the same snotty cliques and the same snotty girls who are planning the reunion, so I'm sure it will be the same high school crap all over again. It just isn't worth it.

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I sooo agree with Terri on this one.
I saw the fb for mine coming up and I am definitely not going.  It's not worth it.  I'm not afraid to go but I just don't care enough to go.  If I haven't seen you in 20yrs and you aren't relevant in my life today then I don't see the need to go.  That's just me though.

JenniferW67
by Buddy on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I'm another one who hated high school. I didn't have any traumatic experiences, just didn't make any lasting friendships, didn't get involved or go to prom. I went to three different high schools so that may have been why I was so disinterested. Couldn't wait to get out! So, no, I wouldn't go to a HS reunion.

I would hope that people have matured. If I could remember anyone I went to school with I might be interested in seeing how they turned out. They would all be strangers to me so it wouldn't be very interesting.

Sassy762
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I wouldn't bother if I was you........The twats are still going to be twats and the jocks are still trying to be jocks even with their huge beer bellies, lol

I remember when they were planning the 10 year reunion......somehow they got my email address and sent me a link to some site called classmates ( I think). I signed up and when I started looking at the  pictures of everyone 10 years later.....I decided not to go because they all looked crazy and so different. I knew my big mouth would get me into trouble because I would at some point during that night tell them what I thought of how they turned out, LMAOOOOOO

I really loved high school and never wanted to graduate but I never went to my 10 or 20 years Reunions either, lol

triplets0718
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I didn't go to my 20. I went to my 10, and the people I wanted to see weren't there, and everyone else were the same idiots they were in HS. I've heard your 20 is better b/c people grow up, but from what I've seen on FB, I doubt it. Plus my 20 was at a bat, and it was 50 per person, and the only food was bar food. I wasn't paying that much for bar food!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jamielynnef2
by Butterfly Mahi on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I didn't go to my 10 yr....I'm still friends or acquaintances with quite a few of the people from high school. Theres a few people I went all the waybfrom kindergarten to gradutation with that I still keep in touch with....but that's bc I choose to...I don't need to go to a reunion where everyone is going to try to out do the other person with success and what not....when I go back to town I get together with the group of people I still like and our kids have play dates and that's that lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I decided not to go. Just reading the comments on Facebook, it's obvious that most people haven't changed and I have no desire to subject myself to that. I don't know what I was thinking!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)