Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

House issues!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:37 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 304 Total Views

Grr....My house has problems, lol.  We just discovered we have a water leak in the front yard.  Our bill was almost double this month.  It's from one of those spickets out in the side of the property.  We got an estimate yesterday and they wanted to charge $916 to dig and cap it.  WHAT???  Anyway, so dh just called someone else and they said it shouldn't take more than an hour and they charge $135 per hour.  What a difference!

Also, I didn't know you were supposed to empty your hot water heater out once a year or that you were suppose to replace them every 8-10yrs.  Is that true?  That's what the guy that came out yesterday said.

We've had our roof patched by professionals but their job didn't last long so dh has been patching it.  Well, now we have mold growing in the ceiling of the upstairs bathroom!  I'm sure it's from where the roof needed patching.

Also, the fan on our heating unit keeps freezing up.  The other unit is going to die anytime now.

UGH!!!

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sukainah
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Oh no! Can you turn your outside water off in the winter?  We don't use ours at all in the winter due to the possibility of freezing all our pipes.  But I didn't know any of that emptying the hot water heater or replacing it every 8-10 years.  But we rent, so it's not really our responsibility.

That's too bad about your roof.  Didn't the professionals do a good job?  It should have lasted awhile and should come fix it for you.  I don't know.  But that mold is bad stuff.  Try to get rid of it asap as it can start making you sick.  That's a bummer!

Ugh!  When it rains it pours huh?  Sorry about all that. :-(

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I can't just turn off that one.  Out here in the country we have 2 of these spickets out on the property away from the house.  They do have a handle on them that you use to turn off/on.  We'd have to shut off all the water to stop it but then no water to the house.  We have to have it capped off and we just won't be able to use it anymore.
I didn't know it either.  I wonder if most people know.  So since you rent it's probably not on the lease agreement.

No, apparently they didn't do a good job.  Dh has had to get up there at least 3 times recently.  It was awhile back so their warranty is over.
Yeah, I know about mold and I want that stuff gone asap.  Dh doesn't do dry walling so we will have to pay someone to do that too.
It's so cold here that our water for the dispenser on our fridge has frozen so it won't give us water, lol.  He's in there with my blow dryer again.  Oh fun times!

Quoting sukainah:

Oh no! Can you turn your outside water off in the winter?  We don't use ours at all in the winter due to the possibility of freezing all our pipes.  But I didn't know any of that emptying the hot water heater or replacing it every 8-10 years.  But we rent, so it's not really our responsibility.

That's too bad about your roof.  Didn't the professionals do a good job?  It should have lasted awhile and should come fix it for you.  I don't know.  But that mold is bad stuff.  Try to get rid of it asap as it can start making you sick.  That's a bummer!

Ugh!  When it rains it pours huh?  Sorry about all that. :-(

vetNmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Just claim there was a huge spider in the shower and you decided to burn the house down, should go good with the insurance company. lol

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Well that would work because there are always spiders and scorpions in here.  This is the first winter that I found a scorpion though.  UGH!
Just had the plumbers out here.  They quoted $135 on the phone and ended up being $144. :/

Quoting vetNmommy:

Just claim there was a huge spider in the shower and you decided to burn the house down, should go good with the insurance company. lol

vetNmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Scorpians have been bad this year! My parents were finding at least two a day! One fell on my Mom and stung her, same thing the next day happened.  They were falling through the vents in the cieling. They had an exterminator come out three times. They finally got them. So now we wear shoes in their house. I hate Country living and refuse to live in the Country, I am more of a city girl. lol. 

Quoting taKENheart:

Well that would work because there are always spiders and scorpions in here.  This is the first winter that I found a scorpion though.  UGH!
Just had the plumbers out here.  They quoted $135 on the phone and ended up being $144. :/

Quoting vetNmommy:

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:50 PM

YES they have!!!  I feel like I have a nest behind a base board or something.  I've never seen one in winter :/.
Omg that must have freaked her out!  I went and looked and I noticed one dead in my closet light fixture!  UGH!We will just have to start spraying again.  I am just worried about my cat getting it on his paws and licking them.
I'm a city girl but with the loudness of my dh's movies and bose system then it's best we live out here. LOL!!!

Quoting vetNmommy:

Scorpians have been bad this year! My parents were finding at least two a day! One fell on my Mom and stung her, same thing the next day happened.  They were falling through the vents in the cieling. They had an exterminator come out three times. They finally got them. So now we wear shoes in their house. I hate Country living and refuse to live in the Country, I am more of a city girl. lol. 

Quoting taKENheart:
JenniferW67
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:34 PM

ugh...that'r horrible Heather. It seems like that expensive stuff always happens in clumps.

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Yeah and all at once too, lol.  Dh also thinks the Dyson isn't working anymore but it's tricky.  I know how to get it to work, lol.
This isn't a big deal but the tube for water that leads to the water dispenser on the fridge...LOL It's frozen so no water will come out.  What a winter!

Quoting JenniferW67:

ugh...that'r horrible Heather. It seems like that expensive stuff always happens in clumps.

JenniferW67
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Oh noooo.....Hopefully your DH is just having an off day with the Dyson and maybe he can fix the tube.

OK, whatever you do, don't ask could this get worse or what's next? lol

Quoting taKENheart:

Yeah and all at once too, lol.  Dh also thinks the Dyson isn't working anymore but it's tricky.  I know how to get it to work, lol.
This isn't a big deal but the tube for water that leads to the water dispenser on the fridge...LOL It's frozen so no water will come out.  What a winter!

Quoting JenniferW67:

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Feb. 7, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

He usually vacuums and I mop behind him.  For some reason you have to start on a rug or carpet to get it to get suction.  He was starting on the tile. I think he just wants to buy new stuff and I'm like but they still work.  I still have this big t.v. not being used in my living room.  My younger years I would have nagged him till it was gone, lol.  He put it on CL but these days nobody wants them unless they are flatter and lighter weight.

The last time the tube was frozen he googled and it said to use a blow dryer.  He did and it worked but not this time.

LOL I am known for jinxing myself by speaking such questions.

Quoting JenniferW67:

Oh noooo.....Hopefully your DH is just having an off day with the Dyson and maybe he can fix the tube.

OK, whatever you do, don't ask could this get worse or what's next? lol

Quoting taKENheart:
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)