• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing your lifestyle from the inside out ...

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM
  • 33 Replies
  • 497 Total Views
1 mom liked this

When I was a kid (around 6 or so) I had a few patches of eczema that would show up every once in a while (usually around my hip area). My mother noticed when I went to the YMCA for swimming lessons, it would flare up. She thought it might be the large amounts of chlorine in the water. I always had a prescription cream and it seemed to take care of it. This would seem to be an envrionmental trigger. By the time I was about 10, I never remember having another outbreak.

Now I am 44. I have had several stressful events happening at the same time in the last year, but otherwise, I have not changed anything about my lifestyle. And I am breaking out in patches EVERYWHERE! In the past decade, I have given up most cleaning chemicals (I clean everything with vinegar, baking soda or plain Dawn dish soap), I have given up all commerical brand shampoos/conditioners, soaps, hair products and make up - EVERYTHING I use is organic and/or natural (i.e. I make my own body wash with Honey and Coconut Oil, etc). The only thing I use on my hair is Johnson Baby Shampoo. I really don't see anything else I can do topically to keep my skin moisturized and chemical free. As soon as I get rid of one patch, another pops up.

I'm starting to think I need to work from the inside out. Has anyone done this? Tried to "cure" something with dietary changes? I'm about to start on some drastic dietary changes. I hope it's worth it! 

by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taKENheart
by Heatherly on May. 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't really done anything much.  The only thing I tried to do was drink aloe water for my skin but I had one I didn't like and didn't buy it again.  I have a hard time sticking to things.

Sounds like you are already doing a ton to change your things.  I hope you can get those skin patches under control. 

LaniBee
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I'll have to research aloe water! I haven't heard about it. It doesn't taste so good?

Quoting taKENheart:

I haven't really done anything much.  The only thing I tried to do was drink aloe water for my skin but I had one I didn't like and didn't buy it again.  I have a hard time sticking to things.Sounds like you are already doing a ton to change your things.  I hope you can get those skin patches under control. 

JenniferW67
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't  had the need or done anything as drastic as you, but I admire it! I don't use many commercial cleaners and make most of my cleaning products. Soft scrub is the one I can't seem to duplicate. I just started making my own deodorant and so far, I really like it! It hasn't been too hot here, so who knows if it'll do the trick in over 80 weather. I eat pretty clean, making most of my food from scratch, but I could do better. I eat a ton of veggies. I started that last year and I have to say I feel great! I gave up meat and it was the right thing for me, maybe not for someone else, but I think we all need to listen to or own bodies. I'm really interested in things like this, so I hope you'll keep us posted on what you're doing. What type of food changes are you going to try?

JenniferW67
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I worked for a Japanese woman when I was a teenager who swore that drinking aloe juice kept her skin looking young. She looked great and I think she must have been in her 50s or 60s. Did it have a taste?

Quoting taKENheart:

I haven't really done anything much.  The only thing I tried to do was drink aloe water for my skin but I had one I didn't like and didn't buy it again.  I have a hard time sticking to things.Sounds like you are already doing a ton to change your things.  I hope you can get those skin patches under control. 

taKENheart
by Heatherly on May. 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry that should say aloe vera water.  Some even have the pulp in it ;)  The one I got at the Asian store with the pulp was good but the one I got at Walmart without the pulp wasn't very good.

Quoting LaniBee:

I'll have to research aloe water! I haven't heard about it. It doesn't taste so good?

Quoting taKENheart:

taKENheart
by Heatherly on May. 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah I've heard it helps keep your skin moisturized and hydrated.  Maybe it does work.  Dr. Phil's wife says she drinks it too but something tells me that's not all LOL.
It does have a slight taste from what I can remember.  It's been a few years. 

Quoting JenniferW67:

I worked for a Japanese woman when I was a teenager who swore that drinking aloe juice kept her skin looking young. She looked great and I think she must have been in her 50s or 60s. Did it have a taste?

Quoting taKENheart:

LaniBee
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Ha Ha!  Ya, I'm guessing Robin does a little more than drinking juice!  

Quoting taKENheart:

Yeah I've heard it helps keep your skin moisturized and hydrated.  Maybe it does work.  Dr. Phil's wife says she drinks it too but something tells me that's not all LOL.It does have a slight taste from what I can remember.  It's been a few years. 

Quoting JenniferW67:

Quoting taKENheart:

LaniBee
by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like you've got the healthy lifestyle under control!

I don't make my own deodorant, but I do use a crystal stick. What ingredients do you use to make it? 

I have toyed with the idea of giving up meat altogether for the past couple of years. For the most part, I don't eat a lot (mostly chicken and some fish). I thik I'm going to start with cutting out dairy (for the eczema; I'm not lactose intolerant). This should be pretty easy, as cheese is probably the only dairy I consume. I also want to cut back on (and eventually eliminate) simple carbs. I think these are the 2 biggest changes I would like to make right now. 

Other than stress and environmental/chemical triggers, food insensitivities and/or allergies are the only other things I have read that aggravate eczema. I should probably go to an allergist and see if that's even the problem, but I figure if I should probably make a few dietary changes anyway since I'm not getting any younger!  lol

I'm sure I'll fall off the wagon, but I'll try to keep track of things and post updates.

Quoting JenniferW67:

I haven't  had the need or done anything as drastic as you, but I admire it! I don't use many commercial cleaners and make most of my cleaning products. Soft scrub is the one I can't seem to duplicate. I just started making my own deodorant and so far, I really like it! It hasn't been too hot here, so who knows if it'll do the trick in over 80 weather. I eat pretty clean, making most of my food from scratch, but I could do better. I eat a ton of veggies. I started that last year and I have to say I feel great! I gave up meat and it was the right thing for me, maybe not for someone else, but I think we all need to listen to or own bodies. I'm really interested in things like this, so I hope you'll keep us posted on what you're doing. What type of food changes are you going to try?

JenniferW67
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I could make some better food choices. lol But, nutrition fascinates me.

I think the recipe for the deodorant called for coconut oil, tea tree oil, cornstarch and baking soda. It's solid and doesn't have a strong smell. Does the crystal stick work well?

Those are some big changes.  Does the eczema itch? If I remember right, I had a friend I worked with who had a horrible case of eczema and did chemo treatment. Can that be right? It was a big deal. Like 6 month of treatment.

I have never been a big meat eater either. I do still eat fish, but we rarely have it. I cook meat for hubs. I've been able to find ways to cook things that we both like without meat and then cook a piece of meat for him on the side. And it's easy now days to eat out, most restaurants offer meatless meals, not just salads as the only option. It wasn't as hard as I thought to let it go.

Quoting LaniBee:

Sounds like you've got the healthy lifestyle under control!

I don't make my own deodorant, but I do use a crystal stick. What ingredients do you use to make it? 

I have toyed with the idea of giving up meat altogether for the past couple of years. For the most part, I don't eat a lot (mostly chicken and some fish). I thik I'm going to start with cutting out dairy (for the eczema; I'm not lactose intolerant). This should be pretty easy, as cheese is probably the only dairy I consume. I also want to cut back on (and eventually eliminate) simple carbs. I think these are the 2 biggest changes I would like to make right now. 

Other than stress and environmental/chemical triggers, food insensitivities and/or allergies are the only other things I have read that aggravate eczema. I should probably go to an allergist and see if that's even the problem, but I figure if I should probably make a few dietary changes anyway since I'm not getting any younger!  lol

I'm sure I'll fall off the wagon, but I'll try to keep track of things and post updates.

Quoting JenniferW67:

I haven't  had the need or done anything as drastic as you, but I admire it! I don't use many commercial cleaners and make most of my cleaning products. Soft scrub is the one I can't seem to duplicate. I just started making my own deodorant and so far, I really like it! It hasn't been too hot here, so who knows if it'll do the trick in over 80 weather. I eat pretty clean, making most of my food from scratch, but I could do better. I eat a ton of veggies. I started that last year and I have to say I feel great! I gave up meat and it was the right thing for me, maybe not for someone else, but I think we all need to listen to or own bodies. I'm really interested in things like this, so I hope you'll keep us posted on what you're doing. What type of food changes are you going to try?

LaniBee
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I think I've seen that deodorant recipe on a blog. I probably have all the ingredients. Man, that tee tree oil is something funky on it's own - DH can smell me coming a mile away!  Ha Ha!!  I don't think the crystal stick works that great. I'm in FL and usually I start sweating from the humidity about 10 seconds out of the shower. But nobody has told me I stink, so I guess that's a plus! lol

The patches of eczema I get are not really itchy, thankfully. They are relatively small, but they take months to heal and go away. I haven't heard of or read about any kind of treatment for it, other than lotions and creams that have hydrocortisone in them. They also leave a little scar after they heal, but I am managing to fade those relatively quickly using Honey and Vitamin E.

Quoting JenniferW67:

I could make some better food choices. lol But, nutrition fascinates me.

I think the recipe for the deodorant called for coconut oil, tea tree oil, cornstarch and baking soda. It's solid and doesn't have a strong smell. Does the crystal stick work well?

Those are some big changes.  Does the eczema itch? If I remember right, I had a friend I worked with who had a horrible case of eczema and did chemo treatment. Can that be right? It was a big deal. Like 6 month of treatment.

I have never been a big meat eater either. I do still eat fish, but we rarely have it. I cook meat for hubs. I've been able to find ways to cook things that we both like without meat and then cook a piece of meat for him on the side. And it's easy now days to eat out, most restaurants offer meatless meals, not just salads as the only option. It wasn't as hard as I thought to let it go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)