Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you making traditional dishes tomorrow?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:32 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 348 Total Views

I didn't grow up having a big pot of black eyed peas or greens on New Year's day.  Did you and do you still make it every year?  I never even heard about it until I was about 15yrs old.  I don't like collard greens or spinach or black eyed peas so it's not for me.

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenniferW67
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:44 PM
2 moms liked this

No, I think we'll be having lasagna. I know black eyed peas are traditional, but I've never had them and I'm not a big fan of collard greens either. lol

What are you having? I thought my DH would be working but it turns out he's home tonight and tomorrow! Yay!!! But, I didn't think he would be home, so I hadn't thought about food. That never happens. lol I always have something I'm wanting to make just in case he's home.  Oh well, we'll figure it out. Happy New Year!!!!!

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Lasagna sounds good!  I'm craving pasta for some odd reason so that sounds good.

I am not doing anything traditional so it will be just another day.  I think I'm going to make this beef tenderloin and aioli sandwich.  I hope I like the beef!

That's awesome that he's home!  Hope you find something yummy.  Happy New Year to you too! 

Quoting JenniferW67:

No, I think we'll be having lasagna. I know black eyed peas are traditional, but I've never had them and I'm not a big fan of collard greens either. lol

What are you having? I thought my DH would be working but it turns out he's home tonight and tomorrow! Yay!!! But, I didn't think he would be home, so I hadn't thought about food. That never happens. lol I always have something I'm wanting to make just in case he's home.  Oh well, we'll figure it out. Happy New Year!!!!!

LaniBee
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never had any of those foods. I thought they were only "traditional" for Southerners?

I have no idea what we'll be eating tomorrow. I really want to clean out the kitchen and start eating clean again. I've been off track since Thanksgiving. I'm ready to get back to it!  

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

You know I was asking dh about that.  I asked if he knew if Northerners ate those as a tradition or if it was just a Southern thing.  He didn't know and I don't either.  I kind of think it is mainly a Southern thing.  Heck, what is Texas considered? Southeasterns? LOL!  My ex's family ate the black eyed peas, cornbread and greens on Jan. 1st and they are from Texas like me but I had never heard of it before I met them.

Ugh, the holidays can really mess with our diets sometimes.  Good luck getting back on track ;)  I've been off since my vacation.  I'm going to do better since I went grocery shopping but I'm still going to have cheats.  I really want chips and guacamole for a cheat this week but my dang avocados aren't ripe.  HAHA I say cheat for this week but I just cheated yesterday.  I just haven't had guacamole in forever so I really want some. 

Quoting LaniBee:

I've never had any of those foods. I thought they were only "traditional" for Southerners?

I have no idea what we'll be eating tomorrow. I really want to clean out the kitchen and start eating clean again. I've been off track since Thanksgiving. I'm ready to get back to it!  

LaniBee
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a Yankee, born in Mass and raised in NH, and I never even heard of a lot of foods (like black eyed peas and collard greens) until I left home!  LOL  I can't really say a lot, though, because my mother hardly ever cooked, so my exposure to various cuisines was very limited.

LOL, yes you are a Southeastern-er! 

I know I'm going to cheat, too. I can only go so long before I cave in to a craving. My biggest goal is really to cut out the sugar (simple carbs, like white bread and rice) and no processed snacks (like chips). If I can cheat with minimal damage, that would be great. I'd like to eat a small handful of chips or one or two squares of chocolate instead of all of it. I have one of those "all or nothing" personalities, which doesn't help when combined with the disordered eating patterns I struggle with. I find it's much easier if I just don't have it around, but sometimes it's not possible with other people in the house. 

Quoting taKENheart:

You know I was asking dh about that.  I asked if he knew if Northerners ate those as a tradition or if it was just a Southern thing.  He didn't know and I don't either.  I kind of think it is mainly a Southern thing.  Heck, what is Texas considered? Southeasterns? LOL!  My ex's family ate the black eyed peas, cornbread and greens on Jan. 1st and they are from Texas like me but I had never heard of it before I met them.Ugh, the holidays can really mess with our diets sometimes.  Good luck getting back on track ;)  I've been off since my vacation.  I'm going to do better since I went grocery shopping but I'm still going to have cheats.  I really want chips and guacamole for a cheat this week but my dang avocados aren't ripe.  HAHA I say cheat for this week but I just cheated yesterday.  I just haven't had guacamole in forever so I really want some. 

Quoting LaniBee:

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, that's too bad that your mom hardly cooked.  Was she a hard worker and not into cooking?  How did you learn?  Just by reading recipes and trying things out?  I learned on my own but my mother did cook.  Well, also living in Germany and Japan helped me want to recreate meals that I loved.

Ok that's what I thought I was, lol.

I don't think I can give up chips but some of those "healthy" chips I've tried were pretty good.  Chips are my weakness.
I can imagine that it can be difficult for you with the all or nothing/disordered eating you had in the past.  Oh yeah, I bet having it in the house makes it more difficult but I think you've been doing really good and I wish you more and more luck on keeping all that at bay.  You've got this ;) 

Quoting LaniBee:

I'm a Yankee, born in Mass and raised in NH, and I never even heard of a lot of foods (like black eyed peas and collard greens) until I left home!  LOL  I can't really say a lot, though, because my mother hardly ever cooked, so my exposure to various cuisines was very limited.

I know I'm going to cheat, too. I can only go so long before I cave in to a craving. My biggest goal is really to cut out the sugar (simple carbs, like white bread and rice) and no processed snacks (like chips). If I can cheat with minimal damage, that would be great. I'd like to eat a small handful of chips or one or two squares of chocolate instead of all of it. I have one of those "all or nothing" personalities, which doesn't help when combined with the disordered eating patterns I struggle with. I find it's much easier if I just don't have it around, but sometimes it's not possible with other people in the house. 

Quoting taKENheart:
LaniBee
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom just wasn't much of a mom.  She was on a lot of medication for depression and we never really had a good relationship. We haven't had any contact for about 5 years now.

I started cooking when I got married (the first time!) and basically taught myself. I watched a lot of shows on FoodNetwork! 24 years later and I'm starting to get a little tired! lol

Thanks. You're so sweet.  ;-)

Quoting taKENheart:

Well, that's too bad that your mom hardly cooked.  Was she a hard worker and not into cooking?  How did you learn?  Just by reading recipes and trying things out?  I learned on my own but my mother did cook.  Well, also living in Germany and Japan helped me want to recreate meals that I loved.Ok that's what I thought I was, lol.I don't think I can give up chips but some of those "healthy" chips I've tried were pretty good.  Chips are my weakness.I can imagine that it can be difficult for you with the all or nothing/disordered eating you had in the past.  Oh yeah, I bet having it in the house makes it more difficult but I think you've been doing really good and I wish you more and more luck on keeping all that at bay.  You've got this ;) 

Quoting LaniBee:

Quoting taKENheart:

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh Lani, I think you mentioned that before but I must have forgotten.  I'm so sorry :(
I have a so so relationship with my mom.  I stayed with my Oma till I was 9 and my Oma was so good to me and did fun things with me.  My mom didn't even when I chose to move back with her.

LOL tired of it!  I go through phases but used to LOVE cooking.  Now it's hit or miss if I'm in the mood or not.  Makes me wonder how I will feel at 50. 

I just see you as my friend and want you to do good in all that you wish for. <3...oh that's just for texting, lol!!! Oops, hehe.

Quoting LaniBee:

My mom just wasn't much of a mom.  She was on a lot of medication for depression and we never really had a good relationship. We haven't had any contact for about 5 years now.

I started cooking when I got married (the first time!) and basically taught myself. I watched a lot of shows on FoodNetwork! 24 years later and I'm starting to get a little tired! lol

Quoting taKENheart:
LaniBee
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

That's ok. It's something that I have made my peace with. I do remember you saying you stayed with your Oma. I had (and still have) a wonderful relationship with my Nana - sounds like it might be similar to yours. ;-)

I guess I go through phases, too. Cooking can be fun (especially when everyone gets involved). I think by the time Carly is more independent (like, starts driving and is never home), I will not be in the kitchen much! Ideally, I imagine going to one of the gourmet shops and buying fresh foods that are already prepared - I might just have to pop something into the oven, but all the hard work will already be done. Right now, that's a little too expensive to be practical!  

Awwww, you are my friend! I wish everything great for you, too!  

Quoting taKENheart:

Oh Lani, I think you mentioned that before but I must have forgotten.  I'm so sorry :(I have a so so relationship with my mom.  I stayed with my Oma till I was 9 and my Oma was so good to me and did fun things with me.  My mom didn't even when I chose to move back with her.LOL tired of it!  I go through phases but used to LOVE cooking.  Now it's hit or miss if I'm in the mood or not.  Makes me wonder how I will feel at 50. I just see you as my friend and want you to do good in all that you wish for. <3...oh that's just for texting, lol!!! Oops, hehe.

Quoting LaniBee:

Quoting taKENheart:

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad to hear you made peace with it.  It's a VERY difficult thing to do and I've struggled with that same sort of thing.
Maybe we did have similar upbringings :)  Maybe that's why we are such good friends.

LOL Oh those gourmet places sound great.  I went to a Central Market with one of my cm friends and they had a 2 person pick up meal to take home and I thought that was so cool!!!  It probably does become expensive if you do it too much.  I kind of wish they had that kind of thing here.

:) glad we are friends! 

Quoting LaniBee:

That's ok. It's something that I have made my peace with. I do remember you saying you stayed with your Oma. I had (and still have) a wonderful relationship with my Nana - sounds like it might be similar to yours. ;-)

I guess I go through phases, too. Cooking can be fun (especially when everyone gets involved). I think by the time Carly is more independent (like, starts driving and is never home), I will not be in the kitchen much! Ideally, I imagine going to one of the gourmet shops and buying fresh foods that are already prepared - I might just have to pop something into the oven, but all the hard work will already be done. Right now, that's a little too expensive to be practical!  

Awwww, you are my friend! I wish everything great for you, too!  

Quoting taKENheart:
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)