Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaseline on Your Face

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:41 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 374 Total Views

Does anyone use Vaseline on your face? Like as a moisturizer? I know it is not a moisturizer itself, but rather seals in the moisture. 

I did a bunch of reading on it today and I'm trying it tonight to see if it helps soften my skin. The weather has been so dry here lately and my skin is so rough! 

What do you use on dry winter skin?

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taKENheart
by Heatherly on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:49 PM

I used to put it around my eyes at night.  Then after awhile my eyeliner and mascara would be all under my eyes.  I read that it was probably because of the vaseline and extra moisture.

I've been using a serum and some Olay and my face is still dry and peeling!  

Do you ever break out?  I would be scared that the vaseline would lock dirt and such in my pores.  I've put coconut oil on my face but I read somewhere that it can cause breakouts. 

LaniBee
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to use it to remove my eye make up and I did notice when I woke up in the morning if there was any residual stuff, it was smudged all over. I'm only going to try it at night. Although some women say they use it under their make up and some also mix it WITH their eye shadow and lipstick to make it stay longer and look "dewey". That doesn't sound like it would work for me!

I've been reading about how a lot of products dry up the natural oils in your skin and make it dry. Then your skin tries to make more oil to compensate and causes breakouts. I don't get breakouts. I get the occasional monthly pimple, but even those are few and far between now.

Petrolatum has a 0 rating as a comedogenic. Vaseline brand is supposed to be triple purified so it's not deadly!  lol  I also use coconut oil as a make up remover and as lotion after I get out of the shower. It is low on the comedogenic scale, but it's not a zero. I'm also trying pure argan oil, but it doesn't seem to be enough for the dryness right now. It probably will be in the summer when the humidity gets really high. 

Quoting taKENheart:

I used to put it around my eyes at night.  Then after awhile my eyeliner and mascara would be all under my eyes.  I read that it was probably because of the vaseline and extra moisture.I've been using a serum and some Olay and my face is still dry and peeling!  Do you ever break out?  I would be scared that the vaseline would lock dirt and such in my pores.  I've put coconut oil on my face but I read somewhere that it can cause breakouts. 

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:20 PM

WHAT?  They use it under their make up and/or mix it with eye shadow?  I've not heard of this, lol.  I don't think it would work for me either.

I've heard that about products but not by brand name or product.  You certainly have done some research!
LOL triple purified so it's not deadly? Yikes, lol. 

Well, let me know how the vaseline goes.  I might want to give it a try again.  I'm so sick of my dry face. 

Quoting LaniBee:

I used to use it to remove my eye make up and I did notice when I woke up in the morning if there was any residual stuff, it was smudged all over. I'm only going to try it at night. Although some women say they use it under their make up and some also mix it WITH their eye shadow and lipstick to make it stay longer and look "dewey". That doesn't sound like it would work for me!

I've been reading about how a lot of products dry up the natural oils in your skin and make it dry. Then your skin tries to make more oil to compensate and causes breakouts. I don't get breakouts. I get the occasional monthly pimple, but even those are few and far between now.

Petrolatum has a 0 rating as a comedogenic. Vaseline brand is supposed to be triple purified so it's not deadly!  lol  I also use coconut oil as a make up remover and as lotion after I get out of the shower. It is low on the comedogenic scale, but it's not a zero. I'm also trying pure argan oil, but it doesn't seem to be enough for the dryness right now. It probably will be in the summer when the humidity gets really high. 

Quoting taKENheart:
LaniBee
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I will report back in the morning!  haha

Quoting taKENheart:

WHAT?  They use it under their make up and/or mix it with eye shadow?  I've not heard of this, lol.  I don't think it would work for me either.I've heard that about products but not by brand name or product.  You certainly have done some research!LOL triple purified so it's not deadly? Yikes, lol. Well, let me know how the vaseline goes.  I might want to give it a try again.  I'm so sick of my dry face. 

Quoting LaniBee:

jamielynnef2
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM
2 moms liked this
I can't use Vaseline. It makes my face SO oily and then get in my hair and ewww i look like a big a grease Ball lol

Almond oil and jojoba oil are really good for your skin and moisturizing. I put essential oils, with those oils for my dried peeling skin bc my clinique moisturizer isnt wnough during cold windy months
taKENheart
by Heatherly on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:29 PM

good

Quoting LaniBee:

I will report back in the morning!  haha

Quoting taKENheart:

WHAT?  They use it under their make up and/or mix it with eye shadow?  I've not heard of this, lol.  I don't think it would work for me either.I've heard that about products but not by brand name or product.  You certainly have done some research!LOL triple purified so it's not deadly? Yikes, lol. Well, let me know how the vaseline goes.  I might want to give it a try again.  I'm so sick of my dry face. 

Quoting LaniBee:
LaniBee
by on Feb. 24, 2015 at 8:03 AM

That's what I'm worried about! lol

I am in the process of experimenting with oils. I haven't tried almond or jojoba yet. It's an expensive process to find what works. I need to head over to the natural food store and see what they have. I usually check it out there and then head to Amazon to buy stuff! 

Quoting jamielynnef2: I can't use Vaseline. It makes my face SO oily and then get in my hair and ewww i look like a big a grease Ball lol Almond oil and jojoba oil are really good for your skin and moisturizing. I put essential oils, with those oils for my dried peeling skin bc my clinique moisturizer isnt wnough during cold windy months

LaniBee
by on Feb. 24, 2015 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, much to my surprise and happiness, I did not wake up a greasy mess this morning!  LOL

Last night, I washed my face with raw honey and then set a steamy cloth on it and let it get nice and moist. Put on a very thin layer of Vaseline. At first it felt a little heavy and I was a little concerned. Within a couple of hours, though, my face was starting to feel dry again and when I woke up this morning, I did not have the "dewey, moistureized glow" I was promised from all the bloggers!  haha

I'm going to try it again tonight, but I'm going to put the argan oil on first, then seal that in with the Vaseline. 

I guess the deal here is - choose one: dry air in winter for great hair and rough skin or humid air in summer for frizzy hair and soft skin!   

jamielynnef2
by on Feb. 24, 2015 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
The great thing about almond and jojoba oil and well essential oils too, is that just a little bit goes a long way. The almond and jojoba isn't really that expensive. I got the little bottles last year and i still have a half a bottle left. I use them on my feet too :-)

Quoting LaniBee:

That's what I'm worried about! lol

I am in the process of experimenting with oils. I haven't tried almond or jojoba yet. It's an expensive process to find what works. I need to head over to the natural food store and see what they have. I usually check it out there and then head to Amazon to buy stuff! 

Quoting jamielynnef2: I can't use Vaseline. It makes my face SO oily and then get in my hair and ewww i look like a big a grease Ball lol

Almond oil and jojoba oil are really good for your skin and moisturizing. I put essential oils, with those oils for my dried peeling skin bc my clinique moisturizer isnt wnough during cold windy months

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Feb. 24, 2015 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It would be all up in my hair and I'd probably be a mess.
You felt dry again after all that?  I hope you can find something that works with all this research. It sure will help me out, lol.

Your last sentence cracked me up, lol! 

Quoting LaniBee:

Well, much to my surprise and happiness, I did not wake up a greasy mess this morning!  LOL

Last night, I washed my face with raw honey and then set a steamy cloth on it and let it get nice and moist. Put on a very thin layer of Vaseline. At first it felt a little heavy and I was a little concerned. Within a couple of hours, though, my face was starting to feel dry again and when I woke up this morning, I did not have the "dewey, moistureized glow" I was promised from all the bloggers!  haha

I'm going to try it again tonight, but I'm going to put the argan oil on first, then seal that in with the Vaseline. 

I guess the deal here is - choose one: dry air in winter for great hair and rough skin or humid air in summer for frizzy hair and soft skin!   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)