Everyone has a must-pack list for road trips. Generally, those packing lists include things like games for the car, playing cards, books, sunscreen, enough H2O for everyone ... that sort of stuff. On the top of the list, though? Hands down: snacks.
We all know how much kids love things like bags of gummies and portable yogurt for the car ride, but why not get a little bit more creative with your on-the-go nibbles? What the heck, why not upgrade your car chow?
Check out these 5 snacks both kids and parents will enjoy for your next roadtrip:
More from The Stir: For Healthy Road Trip Snacks, Think Outside the Box
1. Berry medley: Nothing screams summer like fresh berries. Throw together a mix of some of your seasonal favorites like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and sliced strawberries -- and you're all set to go! The best part? This snack is 100 percent healthy.
2. Trail mix: Trail mix is great because you can make loads of different varieties on your own. If your kiddos aren't into nuts, play up the dried fruit aspect. Do they love coconut? Toss some in! Of course, no trail mix is complete without a little chocolate. Add in chocolate chips to satisfy your sweet tooth.
3. Baked breads: Baking breads in advance allows you to bring home cookin' on the road. Having some fun in the kitchen can be a totally fun activity for the kids before packing up into a car for a few hours, or a few days. Plus, varieties like banana chocolate chip and apple cinnamon will satisfy everyone's sweet tooth.
4. Hummus and pita: Certain brands like Sabra and Wild Garden make hummus in easily portable to-go sizes, perfect for long road trips. Have a little extra time on your hands? Get super creative by making your own at home!
5. Flavored popcorn: Why be normal when you can be extraordinary, right? Make popcorn extra fun by adding some flavoring of your own. Cinnamon sugar popcorn? Easy as pie. Make a zesty flavored popcorn by adding in some paprika, cayenne pepper, and extra salt. My favorite though? Caramel corn, hands down.
Simple Caramel Popcorn adapted from cooks.com:
- 10 large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 quarts popcorn
1. Bring brown sugar, butter, and marshmallows to a boil.
2. Pour your boiled mixture over popcorn, cool, and serve.
What are your favorite snacks for the road?