Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mammogram

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 238 Total Views

I'm due to have my 1st mammogram, and my naturopath said it's like having your breast slammed into a door.  OUCH!

Then she said to be firm with the technician and say, "I understand you are pressured by the radiologist to get my breast as flat as you can to get the best image you can, but I want to say that I'm in control of how tightly you will compress my breast and I will tell you when to stop.  I will be the one who faces any repercussions from having a faulty mammogram."

Have you ever done this?

What have your experiences been with mammograms?

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM

At 42 I have not had a mammogram yet, and don't plan on it anytime soon.  But, I'm very much in the camp of minimal conventional medicine...including screenings.  I've read a lot of conflicting research, and the newest guidelines are to start screening at 50 instead of 40, but it seems to depend on the doctor.  Also, in my 20's, after a series of what turned out to be unnecessary cervical biopsies and cryo treatments (freezing of the cervix, which was as painful for me as childbirth), I don't trust most conventional doctors.  After working with a different doctor and being told that those treatments were actually unnecessary and that I just have a different cellular structure than what is considered normal (I'm paraphrasing here) I really began to distrust conventional doctors all-together.  Honestly, I see it all as a business that is not about the patients best interest, but that of the fat bank account of the doctor.  But thats a soapbox I could stand and speak on all day!

I think you have to go with what feels right in your gut. Our bodies carrie so much wisdom. Consider any pre existing propensity for cancer.  I like what your naturopath recommended.  If you feel guided to do it, stand your ground and administer her advice.

One of my favorite resources, which has a very different view (much like mine) on the topic, but probably with better back up data is Susan Weed.  She's written a book on the topic.  I also resonate with Dr. Christiane Northrop, who is an OBGYN that leans more on the side of holding off on those screenings until later.  At the very least, she offers supportive, natural tools to combine with conventional methods.

I really hope to see others chime in here and share their opinion/experience!!

Bitterroot
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Drumdiva:

At 42 I have not had a mammogram yet, and don't plan on it anytime soon.  But, I'm very much in the camp of minimal conventional medicine...including screenings.  I've read a lot of conflicting research, and the newest guidelines are to start screening at 50 instead of 40, but it seems to depend on the doctor.  Also, in my 20's, after a series of what turned out to be unnecessary cervical biopsies and cryo treatments (freezing of the cervix, which was as painful for me as childbirth), I don't trust most conventional doctors.  After working with a different doctor and being told that those treatments were actually unnecessary and that I just have a different cellular structure than what is considered normal (I'm paraphrasing here) I really began to distrust conventional doctors all-together.  Honestly, I see it all as a business that is not about the patients best interest, but that of the fat bank account of the doctor.  But thats a soapbox I could stand and speak on all day!

I think you have to go with what feels right in your gut. Our bodies carrie so much wisdom. Consider any pre existing propensity for cancer.  I like what your naturopath recommended.  If you feel guided to do it, stand your ground and administer her advice.

One of my favorite resources, which has a very different view (much like mine) on the topic, but probably with better back up data is Susan Weed.  She's written a book on the topic.  I also resonate with Dr. Christiane Northrop, who is an OBGYN that leans more on the side of holding off on those screenings until later.  At the very least, she offers supportive, natural tools to combine with conventional methods.

I really hope to see others chime in here and share their opinion/experience!!

Thanks for taking time to reply in such detail.

I should've mentioned that Breast Ca runs in my family, so I need to be tested/screened earlier than most women without a history of Breast Ca.

I will look up that book by Susn Weed, and look up Dr. Christiane Northrop.

Thanks, again.

Bitterroot
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I ended up having my first mammogram just this week, and it wasn't too bad.

Because my naturopath had freaked me out about the pain I would experience, I literally teared up and cried just before the mammogram.

The poor technician had to run and get me some tissue.

In reality (for me, anyway), it was uncomfortable, but not painful.

I"m glad I went.

You just never know what might be lurking in your breast tissue.

And since breast cancer runs in my family, I was actually five years overdue for my first.

Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Whew...its over with now.  You must feel empowered!  Maybe the tears worked in your favor so the tech took it gentile with you, lol.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)