Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here and stressed about NFP

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 282 Total Views

Hello!  I'm new to this group.  My name is Karen, I'm 30 this year and I have two beautiful little boys.  I am done having kids, and I'm currently on the pill, or will start that soon, but want to try the NFP method along with it.  I'm a little overwhelmed with all of it though.  I hope this won't be too challenging and I don't want it to take over my life.  Any suggestions to make this easier?  I'm sure that comes with time too.

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Karenjm
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM

BUMP!

Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Hi Karen - welcome to the group!  NFP is not as difficult or overwhelming as it appears.  Its just a new concept to our lifestyles.  I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  It is easy to find on amazon.  It is a big book and might seem daunting but it provides a resource that you can go back to again and again as it is thorough.

I've been doing this for almost a decade now and I promise, it does NOT take over your life.  It is simple and effective if followed accurately.  Allow yourself about a month to ease into the process, which actually takes VERY little time.  The rewards of being free from chemical hormones are tremendous!  Whether you might decide one day you do want kids again, or you simply want to ease into menopause vs. struggling with it from the effects of chemical hormones, it is such an empowering choice.  LOL, I thought I was done with kids too and here I am, 42 and ttc.

The gift of allowing your body to ovulate and shed each month, the way your body was designed to do, helps keep everything else in balance.  If you need any coaching through the process, please feel free to message me.  I'm happy to help.  

Karenjm
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Hi!  I really appreciate you getting back to me.  And thank you for the encouragement.  You have certainly been doing this for a long time :-)  I would appreciate any coaching and I'll be sure to message you.  I'm currently waiting for my menstrual cycle to begin for me to start this.  My youngest is a year old and my cycles are still not 100% for some reason. I'm very impressed that this is the only method you are using.  I think I'll be combining this with a BC for the time being.  Just until I can get the hang of it.  And I'll try and get the book.

Also, good luck with TTC! 

Thank you again!

Quoting Drumdiva:

Hi Karen - welcome to the group!  NFP is not as difficult or overwhelming as it appears.  Its just a new concept to our lifestyles.  I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  It is easy to find on amazon.  It is a big book and might seem daunting but it provides a resource that you can go back to again and again as it is thorough.

I've been doing this for almost a decade now and I promise, it does NOT take over your life.  It is simple and effective if followed accurately.  Allow yourself about a month to ease into the process, which actually takes VERY little time.  The rewards of being free from chemical hormones are tremendous!  Whether you might decide one day you do want kids again, or you simply want to ease into menopause vs. struggling with it from the effects of chemical hormones, it is such an empowering choice.  LOL, I thought I was done with kids too and here I am, 42 and ttc.

The gift of allowing your body to ovulate and shed each month, the way your body was designed to do, helps keep everything else in balance.  If you need any coaching through the process, please feel free to message me.  I'm happy to help.  

Mommymo08
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I am wondering if you CAN combine the 2?  If you are on the pill you wouldnt need another method, and I am wondering if you areon the pill since you wont ovulate if you will get the natural body responses to ovulation (temp and cervical mucus changes?)  My periods arent very regular so we are combining NFP with condoms any days I am not very confident are "safe"  I couldnt take hormonal BC anymore it was making me depressed and angry!  I have been off for at least a year.

Mommymo08
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

oh, and if you have an android phone there are apps!

Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

NFP or FAM (virtually same thing) won't work with a hormonal form of BC because those supress ovulation.  Without ovulation, there's no point and anything that is documented or charted is biased by the bc hormones.  

Karenjm
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Aaaahhh, I did not think about that.  See how limited my knowledge on NFP is :-)  Thanks ladies!  Now I'll have to sit and think of what I want to do.

Jenn_T
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll second the book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's a great resource!

NFP is a wonderful way to track your fertility. If you aren't comfortable using it by itself, pair with some sort of barrier method during your fertile days. It will not work with most forms of hormonal birth control as they can supress ovulation and also affect body temps.

I'm a big advocate for teaching this method (along with other things) to our young girls. Finding out how your body works takes away a lot of the scariness and worry about when to expect their periods and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)