Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Luteal confusion

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 305 Total Views

Can someone please explain to me how to calculate this phase because the way im counting mine is anywere from 16-19 days long when i notice i read post about 12-14 days long...my cycles are any were from 25-30 and ive used the opks and i O around cd10-11 so im really confused..and ive recently found out i have thyroid issues (hypo) and on meds for it and have read somewere how it could affect fertility... but my luteal phases are long enough and ive been using the opks and they ve been positive.....Pleas Help

by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Ok, chart nazi chiming in here...do you chart and know EXACTLY when you ovulate?  That is the ONLY way to accurately calculate your luteal phase.  OPK's simply indicate a hormonal surge that happens prior to ovulation.  It is entirely possible to get that surge, and then not ovulate.  This is why if someone is either trying to get pregnant, or avoid it, it is VITAL to chart for true accuracy.  If your cycle is from 25 to 30 days, it would appear you may be mis calculating ovulation to come up with a luteal phase of up to 19 days.  My luteal phase is usually 16 days like clockwork - so it is ovulation that depicts how long my cycle will be, which is typically 30 days.  So, you calculate your luteal phase from the day of ovulation.  The 12 - 14 days post you saw would only indicate an average.  Every woman is different and there really is no right or wrong unless its under 12 which could indicate a problem.  Sounds like your doing great in that department.

As for the thyroid issue, yes meds of any kind can affect fertility, as can low thyroid function because the thyroid is part of the hormonal balance as a whole in your body.  Two suggestions for you - Iodine is essential to proper thyroid function.  Is your issue truly bad enough that you need meds or could you try an iodine supplement and see how it works?  A good naturopath can help guide you if your unsure.  Second, disruption in thyroid balance can also be linked to endocrine disruptor's, which are toxins in our food, products and environment that disrupt the delicate balance of our endocrine system, which the thyroid is a part of.  You might want to take a look at your diet ( is it organic?  Are the meats clean?), your hygiene products (are there parabens in your products? Fluoride?) and of course limit your exposure to pesticides and such.  

Anyone else have any thoughts?  Hope this helps.

lockedtite
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM
My thyroid was under and pretty bad but the med I'm on is called armor... I looked it up and it said it wasn't a synthetic but basically a decomposed beef/pork hormone ... And ive notice a difference in a few areas and this will be mth 3 I've been on them and I go back soon to check my levels and white blood cell count.... But I read that if it was an under thyroid the the possible prob would be a short luteal phase so I figured my luteal was really long... So if it's a positive on opk that doesn't mean I ovulated?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lockedtite
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Also my husband sperm count is very low and it's not like he's super onbaord.. He's good with it and we dont prevent it but it's not like we jump when I'm ovulating and bd every other day like we should .... Hell I'm lucky if I get it more then once a week... Guess I should initiate it more. But when we went to the urologist he wanted to schedule another date like 2 wks from now and do blood wk and another sperm analysis... I was diss appointed ... We waited 2 hrs and I just felt they should have done more ... We live far so I'm thinking if it's just low maybe we could just make him take vitamins and just wait an see what happens rather have him miss more wk when it may be me..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM

A positive OPK indicates ovulation MAY be near, but it is not confirmation that it has in fact happened.  Only charting and seeing the temp rise is an undeniable indication that it has happend.  However, if your cycle is regular, its clear you are ovulating, and the OPKs are indicating it is about to happen.  

Quoting lockedtite:

My thyroid was under and pretty bad but the med I'm on is called armor... I looked it up and it said it wasn't a synthetic but basically a decomposed beef/pork hormone ... And ive notice a difference in a few areas and this will be mth 3 I've been on them and I go back soon to check my levels and white blood cell count.... But I read that if it was an under thyroid the the possible prob would be a short luteal phase so I figured my luteal was really long... So if it's a positive on opk that doesn't mean I ovulated?

Jenn_T
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Check your stress levels also. My luteal phase is generally about 10-12 days. But when my stress levels are high, it's much shorter and when the drop much longer . That's how I ended up with two March babies - School ended in June and my stress levels dropped and surprise baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lockedtite
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I went and got some prenatals today and a bbt so hopefully this will give me some insight ...Thanks a bunch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)