Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thought I was pregnant but BBT dropped today - freaked out!

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 7074 Total Views

So, I've been TTC and charting my BBT.  I was expecting AF on 9/29, but my BBT stayed above the baseline, so I took a home pregnancy test on 9/29 and got a +.  Just for added confirmation I took another  hpt on 10/1 and got another + but the line was fainter than it was the first time I tested.  Today, my BBT dropped by 7 tenths and fell below the baseline, which kind of freaked me out and now I'm wondering if maybe I've had an early miscarriage.  :(

I have an appointment with my ob next week, but just looking for any advice if any of you may have had this kind of experience before, etc.  I've posted a picture of my chart below.  Thanks!

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Awe love, no doubt you've been freaked out.  That is quite a drop and definitely a decline in progesterone.  Are you bleeding?  If you have had a series of pregnancy tests, it's pretty certain you are pregnant, but it may be a chemical pregnancy, which is just a fancy word for a very early miscarriage.  If you are not bleeding, your progesterone may be dipping, which most doctors or naturopaths will correct with progesterone supplementation.  I know it's aggravating that the doctor won't get you in sooner.  They often treat these issues so casually, when for those of us ttc, its like a cruel universal joke.  Feel free to message me if you need to chat.  And do let me know what progresses...

sphrprncss
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM

My bbt dropped another tenth of a degree this morning, so I took another hpt and it came back negative.  Since then I've also started spotting, but before that I hadn't been bleeding.  I had some uncomfortable cramping last night and this morning, now I just feel pressure.  I called my ob and they told me to go to an ER and have an ultrasound done - but I think in either case, it would be too early to detect anything.

Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I'm so sorry.  That does sound very much like a chemical pregnancy.  I don't even know if an ultrasound can confirm or deny, but with two positives, cramping, pressure and now a negative, I'd say a chemical.  They are more common than you know.  I read stats of like 70% of pregnancies being chemical.  Unless one is charting and testing like you are, most woman just think its a late period.  There should be no problem in resuming your ttc efforts right away.  How do you feel emotionally?  For some women chemical's are easier to move on from, for others a loss is a loss.  I went through a miscarriage last year, so I can relate.  BIG HUG!!

Quoting sphrprncss:

My bbt dropped another tenth of a degree this morning, so I took another hpt and it came back negative.  Since then I've also started spotting, but before that I hadn't been bleeding.  I had some uncomfortable cramping last night and this morning, now I just feel pressure.  I called my ob and they told me to go to an ER and have an ultrasound done - but I think in either case, it would be too early to detect anything.

sphrprncss
by New Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Thanks for your support!  I did go and have a blood test done at my doctor's office on Wednesday.  I got the results yesterday that confirm an early miscarriage.  I'm bleeding now like a normal period and had another test done to make sure my hcg levels are going down.  Disappointing, but better early on then further along in the pregnancy.  We will try again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)