Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 449 Total Views
Can someone please explain the charting and bbt and what to look for.... I'm not doing to good with it... Any help is much appreciated
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn_T
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Do you have the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility? If not, I'd recommend getting it. It will explain all the temping/charting in great detail and the why's of doing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lockedtite
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:06 AM
Thank you ... I will ck into it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Yes definitely look into that book.  It explains it all in the greatest of detail.  It's easier to answer specific questions than try to provide an overview on the whole topic.  Share with what you are struggling with.  A few things to keep in mind...you are looking at the overall picture of your chart, not necessarily every day's temps and such.  If you are brand new to it, it will take a few cycles before you begin to see the big picture.  I'm happy to answer any questions you have, so ask away.

lockedtite
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Is this like something I download or an actual book I go out and get? Well I'm trying to temp but how much of a difference in change should I be looking for? I understand though that I need to do it for a few mths just to do some comparing .. But what should I look for and when do I start the actual chart???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Yes it is an actual book.  It may be downloadable too, I'm not sure.  You can start charting any time, but you won't see the whole picture until you have charted a series of entire cycles.  Your cycle beings the first day of your period.  Are you using Fertility Friend or another source?  If you are using a normal digital thermometer, you will notice a slight fluctuation from day to day within a few 10ths of a degree.  The idea behind temping is knowing when ovulation has occurred.  Your temp will rise significantly about 24 hours AFTER you ovulate.  So if you are ttc, you might want to use ovulation kits until you begin to see a pattern of when you typically ovulate, coupled with monitoring your cervical fluid which indicates pending ovulation.  The other thing that temping will give you a clue with is when you can expect your period.  Your temp will typically dip significantly the day of or before your start your period.  It also gives you a finite length of time to understand when you can expect to know if you are pregnant or not because your luteal phase (the time between ovulation and your period) is finite.  Whereas the time between your period and ovulation is indefinite.  Illness and stress can delay ovulation.  So, if your are not charting, you don't know exactly when you ovulate.  If a factor comes in that delays your ovulation, and you don't chart, you might think your pregnant when your not.  Likewise, if you go 18 days post ovulation with no dip in temp, its very likely you are pregnant.  

I know it can seem overwhelming at first.  But trust me, you will absorb all this and it becomes second nature reducing your reliance on the chart as you will get to know your body better.  The book is a fantastic resource for all of this and something you can refer to over and over again.  Hope this helps...

Quoting lockedtite:

Is this like something I download or an actual book I go out and get? Well I'm trying to temp but how much of a difference in change should I be looking for? I understand though that I need to do it for a few mths just to do some comparing .. But what should I look for and when do I start the actual chart???

lockedtite
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Well nurse called me today for my results from yesterday's progesterone levels and I may have not Od this month... That's nut because I my opk looked pretty positive ... Guess not
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Yeah, OPK's are not fail proof.  I think for the most part they are useful, but we can secrete the hormone which they pick up on and still not ovulate.  This is why I feel charting is so important.  We always know if it happened or not.  Let us know what happens...

Quoting lockedtite:

Well nurse called me today for my results from yesterday's progesterone levels and I may have not Od this month... That's nut because I my opk looked pretty positive ... Guess not

lockedtite
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Just want to pull my hair out and getting discouraged... I guess me and dh will be on clomid before its all said an done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Why clomid?  Have you explored herbal options? Emotional blockages? I know fertility and ttc can be a challenging journey.  You have to do what is right for you, but if your interested in alternatives let me know.

Quoting lockedtite:

Just want to pull my hair out and getting discouraged... I guess me and dh will be on clomid before its all said an done

lockedtite
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Ok thank you so much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)