Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, new here and would like some advice...

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 236 Total Views
I plan on starting my NFP journey after my next AF (on the 14th of this month) and was wondering if anyone could give me a crash course on how this works. I know it has something to do with temp changes and mucous production, but not sure what temps mean what, what the amount of discharge means, etc. Also, I was wondering if we could continue havingnunprotected sex on non ovulation days, we plan on using condoms on the fertile days... We learned the hard way that the pull out method does not work... Twice. But thats what gave me my two awesome kiddos so no harm done there, just a lesson learned lol and what has me so interested in NFP.

I also want to add that I currently have the copper IUD and after 3 years and some "normal" and not so normal side effects, ive lost sensation in my body, which is freaking me out. I can still feel, but its different, and I sweat a lot from my hands, feet and pits, even when its cool... Thats never happened before. :( Im hoping removing the IUD and detoxing myself from to copper will allow my body to go back to what it was before... At least try to stop any further damage from being done. I googled copper toxicity and all my symptoms fall into it, I can buy a test from amazon but with my period only days away, I doubt i'll get the package before I take the IUD out, ive wanted it out for over a year anyway, and have also had baby fever for a year (which may also be due to the copper since it acts like estrogen in the body), so if we did become pregnant again, it would be okay, welcomed even, but we are definately not trying for a baby... Yet. Thanks in advance and im glad to have found this place, thanks Drumdiva! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Drumdiva
by Group Owner on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Welcome ;-)  We can provide a few basics on NFP, but a crash course could lead to an "oppsie."  Which sounds ok in your case.  I would suggest reading around other posts here which can provide some good info.  Get a free Fertilityfriend.com account and start charting your cycle.  You will need a basic digital thermometer.  Take your temp every morning at the same time.  After a few months of charting you will see the big picture and when you have ovulated as well as what other secondary signs you experienced around ovulation, such as an increase in fertile quality cervical mucus.  

Here's the important thing to remember...healthy sperm can live in you for up to 5 days.  So, anything deposited up to 5 days PRIOR to ovulation could get you pregnant when that egg is released.  Thats why knowing when you typically ovulate and watching for that Fertile quality CM will clue you in on when to use the condoms.  If not fertilized, that egg will die within 24 hours and you will see a rise in temp to confirm your ovulation.  Therefore, two days after ovulation, your free to have unprotected sex again.  It all becomes second nature once practiced.

Congrats on going natural in the reproductive department!  The health benefits are immeasurable.  Let us know how it goes and questions along the way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN