Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone tried painting rocks?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 4:48 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 264 Total Views

I thought it might be fun to paint rocks. I've seen it online and people have done wonderful paintings. Unfortunately I'm still so new at painting when I had the idea I haven't done very well.

Here's one I tried that worked out.

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 4:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AngryBob
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:57 AM

i saw this post last night, and got so excited i went to google all i could about painting rocks. unfortunately, i couldn't find the post when i came back to cm! but someone had the group in their siggy, so i'm back!

first off, like i said, this post TOTALLY got me inspired to paint rocks, and i'm going to make dh scour the yard tomorrow for some stones to color on.

second, i LOVE what you did with this rock! are you for real - did you really do that?? it looks AMAZING! i hate it when people paint rocks and they look so cartoonish. but yours is utterly gorgeous. i found some really, really awesome designs, and i've literally been walking all over the house today, restless and twitching, because i want to get started.

i'll post pictures when i get some done! great job, mama!

WebCat
by Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I can't wait to see what you do! Isn't it great to get the "fever"? LOL I found that rock but I also went to Home Depot and bought a bag of rocks. They're not real expensive, something like $5 or so, depending on what sort you get. I got the real cheap ones of different shapes.

I use acrylics and a tiny brush. I've only done two rocks but now that I've learned a bit more I'm going to go back and try some more.

WebCat
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I just painted this rock. It's a lot out of focus.

The inner darker part of the tree is a flaw/fissue in the rock. Makes it a bit 3D

Palindromeda
by Group Owner on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Oh, those are gorgeous! I used to paint cupcakes, but I've never tried rocks. Bwahaha I'm going to have to break out the acrylics now I think.

WebCat
by Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 5:24 AM

As you can see I haven't been to succesful in it yet. Others have done fanstastic work; making the rocks look like animals. I've seen it online. That's what I'd love to get to eventually.

CalienteDama
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Wow that's cool I want to try that.. Problem is there is no rocks like those around here!

Palindromeda
by Group Owner on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM

You can usually find them at Hobby Lobby or some other craft store. I have a guard rock my daughter painted in lieu of a security system. So far it's been working like a charm.

Quoting CalienteDama:

Wow that's cool I want to try that.. Problem is there is no rocks like those around here!

WebCat
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Lowes or Home Depot have bags of river rocks.

WebCat
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 6:51 AM

I wish I could paint cute things as well. I don't think I "can't" paint it, I think I just haven't learned enough yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)