Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food Storage for the Frugal- Making Do

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 695 Total Views
3 moms liked this

article from http://www.milehimama.com/preparedness/food-storage-for-the-frugal-making-do/

This summer, we got rice weevils in the pantry.  I had to throw out an entire 25 lb. box of rice along with quite a few bags of beans.

I could have cried.

Then I had to take everything out of the pantry while we scrubbed and cleaned, and put all the legumes and grains in the freezer to kill any leftover eggs.  It took three days to eradicate them.

I think I did cry after that.

So, I started looking into proper food storage.

Then, my budget cried.

You can package rice, corn, beans, and such for the long term (think, 10 years) using mylar bags, oxygen absorbers, and buckets.  These are actually called SuperPails on a lot of preparedness websites.  You can also can the items- even dry items.  Or get a Foodsaver with a mason jar attachment, and vacuum pack your dry goods in mason jars.

Those methods are the gold standard, and what you should aspire to in your food storage.

But, what if you don’t anything extra to invest in food storage?  My friends, do not let perfectionism keep you from preparing for unforseen events!

Keeping a stock of food on hand is important, y’all. You don’t want to be caught with an empty pantry when the Zombie Apocalypse hits.  Plus, you’ll at least have food if there’s a layoff or accident that takes away your income.

It doesn’t do any good to spend the money on food to store, only to have it spoil or be eaten by pests, either.  How to keep the bugs out, the nutrition in, and not spend a fortune?

Well, I have a duct-tape budget, not a gold standard budget.  So I do the best I can, with an aim to improving things when I can.  Something is better than nothing.

Enter my free food storage containers.  Yes, in a pinch you can make your own pest-proof storage containers.

Please ignore the fact that Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper is not real food. In fact, it’s anti-food.  But Hubs is a big boy and that’s what he drinks.

Two liter soda bottles make great storage containers.  They’ll hold 4 pounds of most beans, and even more rice.  The bottles are easy to come by, food grade, and free.   You can use them to store and haul water, too.

Keep them in a dark closet or under the bed.  Light degrades the nutrition in food, but keeping it in the dark helps preserve the vitamins.  Also, don’t use milk jugs.  Those will degrade after a few weeks, they are designed to break down.  I left the label on the bottles to help keep as much light off the contents as possible.

(Under the bed? Well, yes.  My goal is to have a 30 day food storage, and for 11 people, that’s alot of beans, rice, oatmeal, popcorn, and, well, everything.  My island cabinets are filled with food and overflow heads upstairs!)

Pour in your dry goods. Use a funnel.  I use a chopstick to keep things flowing.  Label the bottle with the date and contents. Squeeze the air out of the bottle as much as possible, then screw the cap on tightly.

Easy!

Linking up! ~ Large Families Store Food

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tina454542
by New Prepper Gal on Oct. 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Great ideas and I will try them.

Thanks a million.

SnowPrincessDec
by New Prepper Gal on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM

love this idea :)

pampire
by New Prepper Gal on Dec. 27, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I never would have thought of that!

Mrs.Torres2566
by BRAND New Prepper on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I wonder if the 2 liter bottles can be used to store water? The hubs hates spending money on bottled water and I have been looking for a cheaper solution.

energygirl
by Bronze Prepper Gal on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM

thanks for sharing (and SO SORRY to hear about the weavils.........I would have cried too!)

lynn1111
by BRAND New Prepper on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I fill all my 2 liters with water ..

mnmsmomme
by BRAND New Prepper on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM
good idea!
toadilyawesome
by New Prepper Gal on Apr. 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Love it! Thanks for the tip!!

suziejax
by New Prepper Gal on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Thanks great idea!!!!!

Mickimarie
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM

You can get the oxygen removing tabs cheap on amazon.com too. would you recommend adding some to the bottles or would that be overkill?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)