Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you dehydrate foods?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 278 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I just got a dehydrator (cheap one to "try it out") and am planning on dehydrating some of our  garden vegetables this summer.  From what I am reading....most foods still only have about a year shelf life....anyone keep stuff longer?  Any tips or suggestions about what to dehydrate?  (not so much interetested in fruit leathers....more interested in vegetables)

EnergyGirl
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Sagen
by New Prepper Gal on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

so far I have only done herbs and hot peppers but not in a dehyrator, i just use a needle and thread to string them and hang them to dry.  We are planning to build a solar dehydrator this spring. I posted some links last week that you might be interested in.... I just bumped the post for you.  I also bought a book that tells you how to dry just about everything, called Making and Using Dried Food you may also be interested in Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning.  Keep me posted on how it all goes.

Sarah32882
by New Prepper Gal on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I dehydrate quite a bit of deer meat that we get from my FIL every year. I end up with so much zucchini that I freeze loaves of zuchhini bread in Foodsaver bags. I dehydrate lots of sliced zucchini, hot peppers, tomatoes, herbs, apples w/ cinnamon and some plain for us to eat. I mixed bags of corn, carrots, and apples for treats for horses,chickens, rabbits during the Winter. This year I'm going to attempt kale chips, garlic, and onions . I grew enough to last til Spring so I can't say if any of it would be good after a year.

GoodyBrook
by New Prepper Gal on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm eating dried apples my aunt dried in 2010...  She stores them in ziplocs, and they do just fine in her basement.

I've done onions.  I should have blanched them first, but they were still fun to grind up into onion powder.

Mickimarie
by New Prepper Gal on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Would dehydrating or home canning be a viable practice for prepping? everything I read on them says to rotate stock and only store a year. What if I want to store it longer

Sarah32882
by New Prepper Gal on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM

As  a child, I know my grandma had canned stuff like green beans that were still edible after 5+ years. I guess it would also depend on what it is you are canning and if it was done properly. I've seen posts about people eating canned food that was decades old. You might lose some nutritional value if it is stored for years. My advice is to rotate them and check that they are sealed, look, sniff, and taste.We grow what we eat and it has never last more than a year.

Quoting Mickimarie:

Would dehydrating or home canning be a viable practice for prepping? everything I read on them says to rotate stock and only store a year. What if I want to store it longer

GoodyBrook
by New Prepper Gal on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Quoting Mickimarie:

Would dehydrating or home canning be a viable practice for prepping? everything I read on them says to rotate stock and only store a year. What if I want to store it longer?

If you're looking to store food for longer periods PERHAPS commercially dehydrated or freeze dried would be your best bet...  (Like if you choose not to rotate your long-term storage and just save it for an emergency, it'll last up to 25 years).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)