Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

http://blog.pennlive.com/life/2012/09/fall_foliage_where_to_go_in_pe.html

Fall foliage: Where to go in Pennsylvania to see the colors

Official fall foliage maps for Pennsylvania list Sept. 26-Oct. 12 as the average peak color period for the Northern Tier of the state, Oct. 13-28 for western and central counties, and Oct. 29-Nov. 5 for south-central and southeastern counties.

Last year, the peak periods, particularly in central Pennsylvania, ran about a week earlier than those averages.

The timing, and brilliance, of the fall colors will be determined largely by the weather over the next few weeks, according to Marc Abrams, professor of forest ecology at Penn State who's been observing fall foliage conditions and their relationship to the weather for about 25 years.

Dry days and cool nights now through mid-October, perhaps with an early frost in that period, could set the stage for great color on schedule. Wet, warm weather during that period could give us later peaks and more muted colors when they arrived.

Fall foliage
Enlarge MARCUS SCHNECK, The Patriot-News Schuylkill River Trail near Landingville, Schuylkill CountyFall foliage, Pennsylvania 2012 preview gallery (16 photos)

• Fall foliage
  • Fall foliage
  • Fall foliage
  • Fall foliage
  • Fall foliage

Even if that "worst-case scenario" develops, there usually is at least some worthwhile color for two of central Pennsylvania's special opportunity gravel-road drives on Oct. 14, when the Pennsylvania Game Commission opens roads through two of the region's state game lands.

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Replies (11-16):
vallhk
by vals6pack on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

that is gorgeous

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Your welcome!  I hope its allowed and doesn't get deleted because of the events. . .

Quoting TerriC:

This is awesome Vanessa!  Thanks for posting all the info!!

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM

We used to more often but I want to get back to doing it again.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

We go to state parks and hike often : )

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM

In a little over a week we are going to my son's camp for a fall foliage day to hike, do activities and enjoy nature-I hope the weather is nice!  Its been so rainy :(

TerriC
by Terri on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Let's hope not!  It is a PA group, so we want to know what is going on IN PA!  =-)

Quoting Vertical15:

Your welcome!  I hope its allowed and doesn't get deleted because of the events. . .

Quoting TerriC:

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM

True, thats why I posted them :)

Quoting TerriC:

Let's hope not!  It is a PA group, so we want to know what is going on IN PA!  =-)

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting TerriC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN