Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

Anyone in western PA, be so kind to answer a few Q's

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM
  • 1 Replies

Let me explain that I"m from NY , have been living in FL for 11 years. I'm a single mom and my mom is the only family and support system I have here in Fl. She is moving to Beaver County in a month. She grew up there and has family there. The family wants me to move to. I don't particularly like FL and I don't think it would be fair to my son to stay here by myself without any family around. But, I'm not sure I want to move there either. I've been to the area plenty visiting but mostly as a child and a teenager. I'm not sure I can go back to driving in the ice and snow. Anyway some of my questions are

Does anyone know the home schooling rules? DS isn't home schooled now but it's something I would like to do. Is it an area where I can find natural minded doctors or health food/natural food and market typel stores, I don't mean a GNC type. How are the public schools? What are some good areas to live in for good schools and parks but still reasonable cost of living? Would you say it's a friendly area?  Thanks. 

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
MichelleMc
by Representative on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Hello there. I live in Lawrence County ( UP One LOL ). I can't really help much with alot of that, As I don't do alot of that. Like Natural Minded Doctor ( I think you mean like Vax & I am a Vax"er or Natural Foods & I am not into all that )

But, PA is one of the BIGGEST Cyberschool if that is maybe something you want to do. We have like 12 different ones to choose from. Where it is Public School, but all done at home on the computer. They have activities the kids can get together with each other, teachers, etc. PA Cyber for insistance graduates in Heinz Field, LOL. My son did PA Cyber for one school year & one summer ( loved that he could go in the summer if he choose for a subject or two, etc. 

I know alot of people do Homeschool, and it isn't like a omgosh pulling teeth deal. 

I have heard some harder things on beaver falls, but then again, it is hard because I don't live down there. Just like where I live, People Bash harsh New Castle. As usual, more "country" will usually give you the better areas but doesn't mean no cities are nice. Hopefully some others can tell you, I don't know much about the "lower" areas. 

I know that we have tons of doctor choices & I know we do have some natural food things, you just have to look for them. 

In Beaver Bradys Run is a HUGE park with all kinds of things. Indoor & outdoor walking parks, etc. Western Pa has a very very reasonable Cost of Living but of course, that also means we have low pay, LOL. 

I think PA is a very Friendly Area. Good Luck. The Snow & Ice, eh, You get used to it. Really we don't have that much, and the snow plows are sitting waiting to throw salt & plow when it hits. We also know how to deal with it around here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)