Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

IEP's and options ? New to PA

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'll be moving to PA in a few weeks. I currently live in FL and my son has an IEP. In Fl every child with an IEP is eligible for a scholarship program that has a public or private option. The public option allows you to choose any public school to send your child to ( parent may be responsible for transportation) or the private option to get a dollar amount that the public school would get to provide services for your child , it varies depending on dx, and apply that for tuition at participating private schools. I would say all private schools participate. 

Any chance there is something similar in PA? Even if there is no private option, do you get to choose a school in your district? Is it difficult to get a variance, for a kid to attend a school you're not zoned for? 

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I don't think you have a placement option in PA. The IEP team (which the parent is a part of) decides together.

You can check this code out, but it's more for the options available to the schools.

The law requires all public schools to have a continuum of regular- and special-education placements available for children.

slightlyperfect

owenmom
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has an IEP he has Down syndrome. He goes to our home school public and is mainstreamed in regular ed. He gets pulled out for adaptive PE, Speech,OT and hearing therapy also reading. Most private schools don't have the therapies my son needs. So for him to get everything we went with public school. You can get an advocate from the Arc who can help you with everything. They know all the laws and what the schools need to do to help your child be successful. My son is only in 1st grade and his IEP is very helpful for him and keeps him in with his friends and kids in our neighborhood.  Where in PA are you moving to? I am in Bethlehem and our school has been pretty good about inclusion for our son. Good luck with your move. If you have any other questions please ask.

courtneyann29
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I don't know what an IEP is...but I wanted to say welcome to PA. :)

Angelknot8
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM

As Owenmom stated here they try to keep all the children together to make them not feel as separated. It can be a great thing. I chose that for my son whos autistic. He is in a mixed classroom of  children who have no learning,social, or physical difficulties but there are also other kids who do. I felt it was better for my son definitely so to see how other children without difficulties are instead of just possibly picking up other "bad habits"  That was our choice though. Good luck, I'm sure you'll all do great!

3mom627
by Cheryle on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM

In the Pittsburgh area we don't have anything like that. All of my kids have IEP's and they may have all classes with and aide or a class that is a slower pace and then they may have mostly regular classes and only one or two that would be considered special. We have charter schools which are an option to regular public schools, but I don't know how they would honor an IEP. I do know that at private schools they do not have to.

3MOM627

have a nice day

tazmidgiefairy
by Representative on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM
When I was in school I had an iep I was in classes that were smaller and got mainstream two subject my 5th grade year by high school I had all regular except one and they were there to help with whatever I needed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by LolaD on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM

You would have to talk to the district. That is all done through the district.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM
My,son has an IEP and I'm not familiar with what you are talking about but I would talk to the school district you will be moving too. Good luck!
MichelleMc
by Representative on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Most private schools don't have anything to help with IEP's and usually will tell you to stay public if you have IEP's, as they don't have the means or desire to help with it ( nothing but regular teachers, etc. ). For sure won't give you anything towards tuition. 

Also, unless the school district you live in can be proven to not be able to help your child, you usually can't go to another school district ( or you move to an area that has failed their PSSA testing. Then still, the other school district can deny taking your child ). At least in the counties in my area work this way. 

Madammeke
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM

In PA, at the least the Easton Area School District and the Bethlehem Area School District do not allow you to choose a school outside of district and they do not accept children outside of these districts. This has all to do with the money they get for children. So this must be a states decission.

However you can always talk to a school about the IEP your child has and the provisions they will make for that child. Make sure you not only  have the school files of FL but also all the numbers of the teachers involved, this saves your child being (over)tested in the beginning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)