Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WARNING ABOUT CALLS IN BERKS!

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:20 AM
  • 8 Replies

Berks County officials: Beware of ransom phone calls

Published On: Oct 22 2012 08:00:00 PM EDT  Updated On: Oct 23 2012 06:12:20 AM EDT

Officials: Beware of ransom phone calls

READING, Pa. -

Police have a warning for residents in Berks County.

They say con artists are targeting families, claiming their loved ones have been kidnapped, and demanding thousands of dollars over the phone.

That's exactly what happened to Cecelia Burford from Reading.

"A man was shouting that a family member had been in a car accident, and was kidnapped," said Burford. "They were demanding a $1,000. If I didn't come up with $1,000 they were going to shoot him in the back of the head."

She says they threatened to shoot her, too, if she didn't pay up.

"It sucks you in. It feels for real, the way they are talking, it's real, it feels real," said Burford.

Malcia Cruz who works in Reading was in a similar situation.

"My husband called me, very nervous, very hysterical," said Cruz, "because they were asking him to send money because they were going to hurt his mother."

It turns out Cruz's mother-in-law was never in any danger.

Reading police say the calls are fake.

Investigators say over the weekend, they have received 15 new complaints for phony ransom calls.

"The actual phone calls are being made from phones that are physically in Puerto Rico at the time of these calls," said Sgt. John Solecki.

Police say the area code from Puerto Rico to look out for is 787.

They say it's tough to track the con artists because they purchased pre-paid cell phones with false information.

"It has caused alarm and panic among many of the people who have received these calls," said Solecki.

Burford says she is taking precautions. Through Facebook she has warned her loved ones to be on alert. Now she is just happy everyone is okay.

"Very relieved. Thank God," said Burford.

As for Cruz, she says she will also be on high alert.

"If I get a phone call from Puerto Rico, and I don't know who it is, I won't take the call. That's it," said Cruz.

Officials say other police departments across the country are also dealing with similar scams.

If you have any information, you are urged to contact police immediately.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
OneToughMami
by LolaD on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I can only hope they call me. I absolutely LOVE trolling people like this! Prank callers HATE accidentally dialing my number!

TerriC
by Terri on Oct. 24, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I can not believe the things I hear these days!  Crazy world we live in!

courtneyann29
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Oh my goodness!!  That would be so scary.  Thank God they figured out it's a horrible prank and are spreading it around. 

What is wrong with people?  Who would come up with something so awful?

lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Bump!
OneToughMami
by LolaD on Oct. 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Yeah they are assuming a lot in people having sons
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PartyGalAnne
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Oh god I hope they call me.

vallhk
by vals6pack on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM

omg that is just low,  i hope they get them and give them major jail time

OneToughMami
by LolaD on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Right! I just want to troll them! "Oh my son? That little doucher? You can keep him! "

Quoting PartyGalAnne:

Oh god I hope they call me.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)