Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

Gift ideas for parents

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM
  • 12 Replies

This year my mom decided that we were going to "cancel" christmas except for ds because her and her husband are struggling a little bit financially. They have done so much for me and my family that I really want to get them something but, I have no idea what. I want it to be relatively small, just to show our appreciation and not too expensive that they will feel guilty for not getting us anything.

Any ideas?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by Representative on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM

That is a rough one. I know for me, if I wanted to cancel, and then someone got me something. I would be so upset. I tried to get this across to a family member one time, that I really would rather no one give something, that even if they could give, it actually hurt me more that they gave to me. Just reminded me more that I couldn't give & they didn't stick to what we agreed to. I stressed every year we got together that they wouldn't stick to what we agreed to.

I would make sure it isn't something like gift cards, or an item really "bought", is there something you could make? Or like a picture collage? Something from the heart that isn't too cheesy, but doesn't go too far into the "bought" realm. That wouldn't bother me as much, so maybe wouldn't bother them as much?

OR, maybe after the holidays, just take them out for dinner your treat? That I would enjoy/accept? So a coupon for that in January?

michellej428
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I was definitely worried about that. The problem is that my mom has said things in years past like "we're going to do a small xmas this year, just a few little things" Then we show up to a new big screen tv and all sorts of crazy things. So this year I don't know if she will stick with it either!! I've given her more pictures/collages and other personalized gifts than I can even remember. But I do really like your idea of the coupon for dinner in January!!

I was thinking about giving her/them a gift card so that her and stepdad can have a date night, they haven't had one in a VERY long time and they hardly have ANY time alone together. Do you think I should just stick with the coupon and take them to dinner sometime in Jan.?

Quoting MichelleMc:

That is a rough one. I know for me, if I wanted to cancel, and then someone got me something. I would be so upset. I tried to get this across to a family member one time, that I really would rather no one give something, that even if they could give, it actually hurt me more that they gave to me. Just reminded me more that I couldn't give & they didn't stick to what we agreed to. I stressed every year we got together that they wouldn't stick to what we agreed to.

I would make sure it isn't something like gift cards, or an item really "bought", is there something you could make? Or like a picture collage? Something from the heart that isn't too cheesy, but doesn't go too far into the "bought" realm. That wouldn't bother me as much, so maybe wouldn't bother them as much?

OR, maybe after the holidays, just take them out for dinner your treat? That I would enjoy/accept? So a coupon for that in January?

Barb10
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I would do the restaurant gift card.Thats what we get my parents every yr with a bottle of wine and plate of homemade cookies.They enjoy going out occasionally and they already have everything else.

MichelleMc
by Representative on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Quoting michellej428:

I was definitely worried about that. The problem is that my mom has said things in years past like "we're going to do a small xmas this year, just a few little things" Then we show up to a new big screen tv and all sorts of crazy things. So this year I don't know if she will stick with it either!! I've given her more pictures/collages and other personalized gifts than I can even remember. But I do really like your idea of the coupon for dinner in January!!

I was thinking about giving her/them a gift card so that her and stepdad can have a date night, they haven't had one in a VERY long time and they hardly have ANY time alone together. Do you think I should just stick with the coupon and take them to dinner sometime in Jan.?

Quoting MichelleMc:

Ah okay. See I do stick to it, LOL. So that makes it a little different. I dont' like getting the gift card either because I feel guilty about not giving. I want no gift. But if someone is TAKING me out, then I don't feel so guilty because then they really want to, they are spending time with me, and they are really about taking me out.

But with them going back on the adult gifts its hard. However, with them being the parents its hard. My mom & dad are very financially strapped, and every year my mom says she won't do the adults & will only do the kids. But then she feels guilty because my SIL & Brother won't stop doing for them. Though she said we just all "cancel" each other out, she can't just stop giving to her kids, so she gives anyway. Now my parents do keep very low ( very ) and with in their budget, which I am thankful, or I would take it back & leave it on her table, LOL. But I wish she would stop all together because I know they don't have it.

So, maybe they give because they just can't wrap their head about stopping give to their kids. Maybe they give because they can't not give if they know they are getting. I don't know, everyone is different.

I would personally stick with the coupon for the dinner in January OR both, and keep the gift card back and if they pull presents out, bring the gift card out LOL.

michellej428
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

AH..good idea! Keep the giftcard in my purse just in case!! lol thanks 

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting michellej428:

Quoting MichelleMc:

Ah okay. See I do stick to it, LOL. So that makes it a little different. I dont' like getting the gift card either because I feel guilty about not giving. I want no gift. But if someone is TAKING me out, then I don't feel so guilty because then they really want to, they are spending time with me, and they are really about taking me out.

But with them going back on the adult gifts its hard. However, with them being the parents its hard. My mom & dad are very financially strapped, and every year my mom says she won't do the adults & will only do the kids. But then she feels guilty because my SIL & Brother won't stop doing for them. Though she said we just all "cancel" each other out, she can't just stop giving to her kids, so she gives anyway. Now my parents do keep very low ( very ) and with in their budget, which I am thankful, or I would take it back & leave it on her table, LOL. But I wish she would stop all together because I know they don't have it.

So, maybe they give because they just can't wrap their head about stopping give to their kids. Maybe they give because they can't not give if they know they are getting. I don't know, everyone is different.

I would personally stick with the coupon for the dinner in January OR both, and keep the gift card back and if they pull presents out, bring the gift card out LOL.

SlightlyPerfect
Kids are raving nowadays?
Yesterday at 2:31 PM
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I recommend something personalized, like something they can't or won't do. My parents are pretty wealthy, so they're damn hear impossible to buy for, so I try to do things they can't do, like... oh... use the internet! Seriously. I use Zazzle, and I love them. I make them mugs with DD's pics on them. Shirts. Last year, my dad said something outrageously funny, and I got him a shirt with his own quote on it! And when my mom's cat died, I made her a photo collage.

The other thing I like to get them is Living Social Getaway Deals. They have ample time to book the trip, but the deals can be expensive if you're doing something like a weekend getaway. My parents love wineries, so I try to get them deals to wineries in NY or VA, but even something local, like Lancaster, is something they'd like.

slightlyperfect

Ma2JennaB
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Vista Print.com has a Free photo calendar.  You just pay the upload fee and shipping so it is under $10.  Its very easy to make and always comes out nice.  You can even add personal holidays on the calendar.

Ma2JennaB
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Have the kids make them ornaments.  You use flour, salt and water to make dough, cut out with cookie cutters or make your own shapes then bake them an hour.  When they are ready the kids can paint them. 

OneToughMami
by LolaD on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Get them a gift card for a nice restaurant.

vallhk
by vals6pack on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I like this idea, there will be no guilt because it was homemade from the kids hearts and will be something they can proudly display every year and know how loved they are

Quoting Ma2JennaB:

Have the kids make them ornaments.  You use flour, salt and water to make dough, cut out with cookie cutters or make your own shapes then bake them an hour.  When they are ready the kids can paint them. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
PROUD ARMY WIFE TO SCOTT, PROUD MOM TO CHELSEA JORDAN -15 (7-26-1996), CIERA DAWN -12 (1-14-2000), SAVANNAH RUTH -7 (7-10-2004), HUNTER AUSTIN-6 (2-22-2006), MAKENZIE FAITH-2 (3-31-2010), GARRETT MICHEAL 5-21-12
PROUD ANGEL MOM TO ZACHARY RUSSELL (4-15-2008)
ANGEL BABY BEAN 11-6-2001
ANGEL BABY BEAN 07-23-2011
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)