Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

My 87yo MIL who lives next door fell this morning getting out bed. She reached for her cabinet nightstand to steady herself and it fell on her. FIL is on Hospice care and bed/chair ridden so neither of them were able to call for help. Thankfully FIL's nurse that gets him up came shortly after her fall and called my SIL who called us. My DH was able to get her up, to the bathroom and into a chair, but we think something is broken or fractured in her lower leg or ankle. She's going in for x-rays at 11:15. I'll be staying with FIL, which makes me extremely nervous because he is 100% dependent on others for everything, including toilet issues, which I've never had to help with and uh, just feels... weird.

And long term- even if she didn't fracture anything she is not going to be able to be main caregiver for awhile... and if she did it will be even longer that she can't be main caregiver... but none of us are really in a position to be, either. I have no idea what we are going to do at this point!!!!! I can help some days when my kids are in school, but not when they are home-- I tried being caregiver a few years back when he still had mobility and only needed a fraction of the care he needs now and things would happen with him that I had to go tend to and my kids would end up alone for an hour or more... they were old enough to be mostly independent and were just next door, but still... it just wasn't doable for the long run. And now he is 100% dependent.

But DH's family holds firmly to the belief that family takes care of family and never a nursing home-- since I am next door I know they are going to try to guilt/pressure me into it-- but I know my limitations and have 3 kids-- I just can't be there all day, every day!!!

If you are the praying sort, please pray about this whole situation!!!! Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Replies (11-11):
PinkDragonFly
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM

sorry to here about your FIL and MIL. your family is in my thoughts and prayers. keep us posted.

Sharon

come join the Revenge chat.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118222

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)