Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

Amish Penpals

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi :) 

I was wondering if  anyone knows a way (other then driving to lancaster which is almost 4 hours away from me:( ) to start up a friendship with an Amish person? I know this probably sounds stupid and close to impossible.. I'm hoping someone may personally know an Amish person who would be willing to be penpals. I'm not looking to badger anyone with questions, I just want an Amish friend lol.  I  a dmire them & think we can learn alot from the way they live. 

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Amish people don't only live in Lancaster. The entire state is full of Amish. Lancaster may be "known" for them so to speak, but they are everywhere. Where do you live? Maybe more Eastern PA I am wondering if you don't have any near.

Western Pa, it is Amish, "English", Amish, "English", LOL. There are more areas of Amish but there is like Amish house & then English house. It isn't as seperate. They come into town with their buggies to the farmers market, they are at all the flea markets, they come & work on your houses, they are at walmart or the grocery stores. They have stores, they openly sale their items, you just stop at their houses ( other than Sunday ). We have a area called Volant they make donuts to order, sale their pies, etc.

So depends on how where you live, how much easier it would be to become friends.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

this is what I was going to say too.

A coworker was telling me about a grocery store in Newburg Pa that is run by Amish. It's called BB's, they have more than one location. Maybe you could frequent one and become friends with those who work there.

http://www.captainbin.com/family/bbs.html

Quoting MichelleMc:

Amish people don't only live in Lancaster. The entire state is full of Amish. Lancaster may be "known" for them so to speak, but they are everywhere. Where do you live? Maybe more Eastern PA I am wondering if you don't have any near.

Western Pa, it is Amish, "English", Amish, "English", LOL. There are more areas of Amish but there is like Amish house & then English house. It isn't as seperate. They come into town with their buggies to the farmers market, they are at all the flea markets, they come & work on your houses, they are at walmart or the grocery stores. They have stores, they openly sale their items, you just stop at their houses ( other than Sunday ). We have a area called Volant they make donuts to order, sale their pies, etc.

So depends on how where you live, how much easier it would be to become friends.

egbkeb
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I'm in Lackawanna County :)

Quoting MichelleMc:

egbkeb
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I think I'm too far away for even them too :( I'm in lackawanna county

Quoting mumsy2three:

A coworker was telling me about a grocery store in Newburg Pa that is run by Amish. It's called BB's, they have more than one location. Maybe you could frequent one and become friends with those who work there.

Quoting MichelleMc:

vallhk
by vals6pack on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

i don't know but good luck.  they are very interesting people

3mom627
by Cheryle on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I am sorry, I don't know of a way, but hopefully, with the internet and all you can find a way.

3MOM627

have a nice day

LML1
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM

There are Amish all over the state... They're not hard to find where I live.

lalasmama2007
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM

My MIL took me to BB's once.  It's not that far from her.  

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting MichelleMc:

Cafe Jenn
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I used to love BB's when we lived in Lebanon Co. 

We have a bunch of Amish in Union Co, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)