Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

Does anyone have a home food store?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you consider starting a home food store in your home?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

I asked this question to my friends on Facebook and got one like, but no answer.confused

I am seriuosly considering starting a home food store which is pretty much a stock pile of all the things you normally use so you do not have to go to the store as often and so you are prepared for an emergency situation with cans and freeze dried foods and such.

My question is "Do you have a home food stores and if you do are you glad you started it?"

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I do not have one, and doubt that it would work for us since we eat mostly fresh foods.  I'm not a big fan of all the crap that they put in processed (canned/boxed) foods.

ifbwife
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM

We only eat whole foods no boxed foods or cans from the store. I am thinking of canning from a garden and getting quality freeze dried fruits.

LML1
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh.. We can veggies and fruit from our garden every year. My husband hunts. So we always have food in the house. I wouldn't say it's a home store though. But we could last a couple months on what we have in our house. Now we would need to get milk and bread but that's about it.

cafay
by Terri on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I wouldn't call it a home store, but I do try to stockup on stuff that we use a lot of.But sometimes its not stocked very much, sometimes its stocked pretty well. I don't do it in preperation for doomsday or anything, I do it just because it'sstuff I don't want to run out of and these are mostly paper products and drugstore stuff, canned tomatos and fruit and such. I dont do it much in the summer. We have a garden and I like to buy fresh when I can.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a huge stockpile or anything, but usually have extra canned soups/veggies, pasta, baking ingredients that I could use to make bread (or PB cookies ;-)), etc... and lots of veggies from our garden that we froze... if we had to make it for a few weeks we could. If we had to make it without electricity that would limit some of those options, but I think we could still make it on the canned soups, veggies, etc.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I forgot to add that I voted no. Like I said, I have my shelves stocked, but wouldn't necessarily consider it a store- just a general level of preparedness for normal PA. inclimate weather.

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Surely would consider it & already have started. Everyone says they don't eat that way, until they can't get those things they normally eat.

We aren't going to be some of the nut job preppers but yes, we want to be mild preppers. We have slowly started but will start to focus more on just have the basics. Even if it just slow. I am not going to sew up pigs or make every moment about prepping like those people that think & focus everday, LOL. But, it is something to think about. Especially living in the country with a little city so close.

It only takes 3 days of semis not being able to bring in food for nothing fresh to be available. Electric to be out like a hurricane, earthquake, flood, power outage of some sort also in your area, will leave the grocery stores with nothing available, and no way to sell it. And to say our area won't have an earthquake, we already know that Western Pa has been said to have a Quake to happen for years, and after the one that hit Virginia, never is not the word that should be said. You never know if something can happen. We had someone blow up an entire city block because he wanted to kill himself, and he went overboard. It effected 3 other blocks too. If someone did that near a power grid, etc. You just never know.

We live with a well, no electric, no water. So water, food, way to heat our home, etc. The basics.

ifbwife
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

We are not doomsday preppers by any means lol My main concern is having enough to get by on in case of natural disasters.

Since living in PA I have experienced more natural disasters then ever in my whole life lol. In South Texas I was accustomed and prepared for the yearly hurricane evacuations. Since moving to PA in 2010 I have experienced a snow storm, an earthquake tremmer, a flood, and a hurricane lol so, it really got me thinking about being prepared.

We take going to the store and the availabilty of fresh food for granted, but the fact is there is a very fragile balance and one natural disaster could shift it off balance quickly.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Quoting ifbwife:

We are not doomsday preppers by any means lol My main concern is having enough to get by on in case of natural disasters.

Since living in PA I have experienced more natural disasters then ever in my whole life lol. In South Texas I was accustomed and prepared for the yearly hurricane evacuations. Since moving to PA in 2010 I have experienced a snow storm, an earthquake tremmer, a flood, and a hurricane lol so, it really got me thinking about being prepared.

We take going to the store and the availabilty of fresh food for granted, but the fact is there is a very fragile balance and one natural disaster could shift it off balance quickly.

I used to live in TX, too and never thought of PA as a hurricane area, but I guess the evidence speaks for itself nowadays-- both this school year and last we had no snow delays or cancellations at all-- but we've had 2 cancellation days each of those years for tropical storms/hurricanes!! We also seem to get earthquakes in the 3.something range every few years in this area.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Quoting ifbwife:

Exactly! This is what we want to prepare for. It is very very fragile balance. I would rather be at least slightly prepared. I want to be better prepared by next winter to start.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN