Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

Does anyone have a home food store?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you consider starting a home food store in your home?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

I asked this question to my friends on Facebook and got one like, but no answer.confused

I am seriuosly considering starting a home food store which is pretty much a stock pile of all the things you normally use so you do not have to go to the store as often and so you are prepared for an emergency situation with cans and freeze dried foods and such.

My question is "Do you have a home food stores and if you do are you glad you started it?"

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (11-17):
krickette
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this

yep we have had one for over 10 years it sure helps

MissyB1011
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I started a stockpile a couple of years ago. I did it to prep for my husband being gone for training for 6 months. He would have to take a paycut for that time period. When we found out that he wasn't going to go, we found it was much easier on our budget to maintain and just replenish what we used when the items were on sale.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
courtneyann29
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:36 AM

I have a cupboard full of canned food for emergency purposes..we don't eat that stuff normally.  We mostly eat fresh food, but the canned food will feed us if we can't get fresh food for whatever reason.  I also have a few large bottles of water for emergencies.

That is it though.  I'd rather let my money sit in the bank and collect interest before I spent it on 100 rolls of paper towels. ;)

ifbwife
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

What kind of person prepares for a natual disaster with a 100 rolls of paper towels? lol

courtneyann29
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I guess I was referring to the Extreme Couponers that you see on tv.  They always seem to stock up on a ton of useless (to us) items...that's what I was picturing as everyone's stock piles.  lol  

Quoting ifbwife:

What kind of person prepares for a natual disaster with a 100 rolls of paper towels? lol

:)
Courtney

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting courtneyann29:

I guess I was referring to the Extreme Couponers that you see on tv.  They always seem to stock up on a ton of useless (to us) items...that's what I was picturing as everyone's stock piles.  lol  

Quoting ifbwife:

Oh yeah, the extreme couponers are totally different LOL. Preppers are more into actual things you can use for if like there is no electricity, stores can't be gotten to, money can't be used ( no banks will be able to be used for a bit til they can show where the money went, etc ), trucks can't be bringing in food.

So it is more like canned goods, storable goods, water, etc. Also like generator, kerosene, heater, candles, matches, camp stoves, stove fuel, gas, grill, propane, blankets, etc things like that.

vallhk
by vals6pack on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:50 AM

we don't have one but wouldn't mind starting one.  we live in a small town,  have two grocery stores would be nice for competition for them plus the people in town would definitely have a source for those things or at least an extra source

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN