Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

Sue Paterno on Katie-Are you watching?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 11 Replies

Who is watching Sue Paterno on Katie right now?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marinemom918
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Yes I am going to watch.. Its not her fault..I think he should of pushed more.. Unfortunatley it will never be taken back and the victims have to endure this nighmare over and over..

LML1
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Nope, what's going on...

steelcrazy
by Representative on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM

No, I totally forgot about it.

For those that say Joe should have done more, as a mandated reporter I have had very similar training in these matters as Joe would have.  We are taught to call the 800 number to file a report of suspected abuse and then let it go.  We are told to never, ever confront the person that we suspect of abuse and to let the system do its job.

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM
TerriC
by Terri on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I saw some of it.  Going to go back and watch it though.

IrishIz
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I'm a mandated reporter. I would never call the number and do no more if the "system" didn't step in. Just saying...this mandated reporter would do more if needed.

Quoting steelcrazy:

For those that say Joe should have done more, as a mandated reporter I have had very similar training in these matters as Joe would have.  We are taught to call the 800 number to file a report of suspected abuse and then let it go.  We are told to never, ever confront the person that we suspect of abuse and to let the system do its job.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Representative on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Have you ever had to report someone?  I have. and you really don't know if the system is stepping in for sure or not until an arrest has been made or you are called to testify.  Investigations can take many months and in some cases years, I'm sure.

Sounds like you didn't go through the same training that I was required to take.  They specifically tell you not to approach the suspect because you don't want to tip them off that they may be under investigation.  I would hate to put an investigation in jeopardy by running my mouth or taking action against a suspect just because I couldn't be patient and wait for the system to work.

Quoting IrishIz:

I'm a mandated reporter. I would never call the number and do no more if the "system" didn't step in. Just saying...this mandated reporter would do more if needed.

Quoting steelcrazy:

IrishIz
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM
If I had reason to believe nothing was happening...I would do more. I never said I would run my mouth. I would do more though. I don't know what "training" you have....don't really care. What I know is that I wouldn't sit back if I believed abuse continues.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Have you ever had to report someone?  I have. and you really don't know if the system is stepping in for sure or not until an arrest has been made or you are called to testify.  Investigations can take many months and in some cases years, I'm sure.

Sounds like you didn't go through the same training that I was required to take.  They specifically tell you not to approach the suspect because you don't want to tip them off that they may be under investigation.  I would hate to put an investigation in jeopardy by running my mouth or taking action against a suspect just because I couldn't be patient and wait for the system to work.

Quoting IrishIz:

Quoting steelcrazy:

steelcrazy
by Representative on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

In order to get my mandated reporter certification, I was required to take training classes.  We were taught the proper procedures, how to file a report, what to do after the report is filed, etc.  There were also lectures on what should be reported and what shouldn't as well as videos from convicted offenders on how they approached children and gained their trust to begin abusing them.

I was under the impression that everyone who was a mandated reporter had to take this training, but I am obviously mistaken on that one because it appears that you never had to do anything to become a mandated reporter.

BTW - if you aren't calling the number to report the suspected abuse, how are you reporting it and who are you reporting it to?

Quoting IrishIz:

If I had reason to believe nothing was happening...I would do more. I never said I would run my mouth. I would do more though. I don't know what "training" you have....don't really care. What I know is that I wouldn't sit back if I believed abuse continues.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting IrishIz:

Quoting steelcrazy:

IrishIz
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I'm a mandated reporter because I'm a health professional. I have guidelines to follow. If I followed them and felt nothing happened I wouldn't sit back and say "well, did what I had to do and now I'm done". I would escalate the situation based on the situation.

Quoting steelcrazy:

In order to get my mandated reporter certification, I was required to take training classes.  We were taught the proper procedures, how to file a report, what to do after the report is filed, etc.  There were also lectures on what should be reported and what shouldn't as well as videos from convicted offenders on how they approached children and gained their trust to begin abusing them.

I was under the impression that everyone who was a mandated reporter had to take this training, but I am obviously mistaken on that one because it appears that you never had to do anything to become a mandated reporter.

BTW - if you aren't calling the number to report the suspected abuse, how are you reporting it and who are you reporting it to?

Quoting IrishIz:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting IrishIz:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)