Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

Ash Wednesday

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 15 Replies

Do you give anything up for lent?

If so what will you give up this year?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
PROUD ARMY WIFE TO SCOTT, PROUD MOM TO CHELSEA JORDAN -15 (7-26-1996), CIERA DAWN -12 (1-14-2000), SAVANNAH RUTH -7 (7-10-2004), HUNTER AUSTIN-6 (2-22-2006), MAKENZIE FAITH-2 (3-31-2010), GARRETT MICHEAL 5-21-12
PROUD ANGEL MOM TO ZACHARY RUSSELL (4-15-2008)
ANGEL BABY BEAN 11-6-2001
ANGEL BABY BEAN 07-23-2011
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vallhk
by vals6pack on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I don't usually, but was thinking about doing so this year, just not sure what to give up lol. 

MichelleMc
by Representative on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Always thought this was just a Catholic thing but I guess more than Catholics are doing this now. Never heard of this when I was younger but more & more seem to be jumping on the "lent bandwagon" so to speak, LOL. 

We don't do it. The only thing we ever did is actual Good Friday not having meat, otherwise, no. ( no other Friday ) That was just my grandmother idea, so I keep it for her. 

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I attend a Wesleyan church, and we do a 40 days of prayer and fasting (starts next Tuesday) for the Lent/Easter season. I'm not sure I'm giving up anything this year but I am planning on exercising each day and eating better each day. Well I guess that means I'm giving up bad food, lol. I'm also planning on reading my Bible daily, too.

vallhk
by vals6pack on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM

yeah my mom is doing it this year,  that I remember  didn't remember her doing it previous years.  But on another note though too,  she is also giving up carbs for a diet so I guess that makes it easier to give up for lent

Quoting MichelleMc:

Always thought this was just a Catholic thing but I guess more than Catholics are doing this now. Never heard of this when I was younger but more & more seem to be jumping on the "lent bandwagon" so to speak, LOL. 

We don't do it. The only thing we ever did is actual Good Friday not having meat, otherwise, no. ( no other Friday ) That was just my grandmother idea, so I keep it for her. 

PROUD ARMY WIFE TO SCOTT, PROUD MOM TO CHELSEA JORDAN -15 (7-26-1996), CIERA DAWN -12 (1-14-2000), SAVANNAH RUTH -7 (7-10-2004), HUNTER AUSTIN-6 (2-22-2006), MAKENZIE FAITH-2 (3-31-2010), GARRETT MICHEAL 5-21-12
MichelleMc
by Representative on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Quoting vallhk:

yeah my mom is doing it this year,  that I remember  didn't remember her doing it previous years.  But on another note though too,  she is also giving up carbs for a diet so I guess that makes it easier to give up for lent

Quoting MichelleMc:

Yeah I seen a ton of people that never did it before mentioning it this year and I am like HUH? 

MichelleMc
by Representative on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I always remember my friends mom would MAKE them go to the church in the morning versus after school so they had to walk around with the ash mark on their forehead all day. They hated it so bad. But she insisted. It drove them nuts. 

I know I usually have someone I have to explain it to as to why people have black marks on their head today LOL. 

vallhk
by vals6pack on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM

what does the fasting require?  Like do you eat at a certain time of day and thats it?  Is it during certain hours?  My friends husband is muslim and they fast a few days too might be this period of time,  he's allowed to eat something at like 7 at night I think and has to go the rest of day without food.

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

I attend a Wesleyan church, and we do a 40 days of prayer and fasting (starts next Tuesday) for the Lent/Easter season. I'm not sure I'm giving up anything this year but I am planning on exercising each day and eating better each day. Well I guess that means I'm giving up bad food, lol. I'm also planning on reading my Bible daily, too.

TerriC
by Terri on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I am not Catholic, but DH's family is.  We usually give up fast food, which is a bit of a cheat because we rarely eat fast food.  We also do the meatless Fridays.

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Our fasting can consist of various things. For some it means giving up something and during the time we'd usually do that thing we pray/read the Bible. For others they give up a meal and spend the time praying and fasting. For others they give up something and use that time for something better-family time, volunteering, etc.

Quoting vallhk:

what does the fasting require?  Like do you eat at a certain time of day and thats it?  Is it during certain hours?  My friends husband is muslim and they fast a few days too might be this period of time,  he's allowed to eat something at like 7 at night I think and has to go the rest of day without food.

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

vallhk
by vals6pack on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM

interesting, I love hearing about different traditions.

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

Our fasting can consist of various things. For some it means giving up something and during the time we'd usually do that thing we pray/read the Bible. For others they give up a meal and spend the time praying and fasting. For others they give up something and use that time for something better-family time, volunteering, etc.

Quoting vallhk:

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)