Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

keep in touch with any elementary, Jr. high or high school friends?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (21-30):
TerriC
by Terri on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed!

Quoting Vertical15:

I think facebook has definately been good for maintaining relationships long distance and over time.

Quoting TerriC:

Since moving out of state, Facebook has been helpful in maintaining friendships.

Quoting Vertical15:

Some better then others.  I try but not as well as I should.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
"Babe, that was amazing. We should do that every day!"
Today at 5:09 PM
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I think it's very nice to have the people you had growing up now present in your adult life. We're such good friends that we can call one another at any hour, and we'd do anything for each other. I can call them when there's an emergency, and within an hour they're sitting next to me.

Quoting TerriC:

That is nice. I have my 2 best friends from way back that I always stay in touch with.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Some of us are still very good friends.

slightlyperfect

courtneyann29
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Yes. One of my very best friends has also been my longest friendship.  We've been friends since 5th grade (23 years!).  She lives on the other side of the country so we don't visit often.  We skype when we can, and before I started working we talked on the phone almost every day. :)

Another of my good friends I've known since jr high...maybe 19 or 20 years.  We have a lot of differences and our lives are sometimes in complete opposite directions, but we can still pick up exactly where we left off, even if we haven't talked for weeks.

I've also been keeping in touch with a lot of people I went to school with through facebook.  If it wasn't for facebook I probably wouldn't talk to them now, though.

MichelleMc
by Representative on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:50 AM

I think that facebook is good to keep long distance friends together because you can't just show up at their house, day to day lives get in the way of phone calls a lot, but I think at the same time, you friend someone on facebook that you wouldn't normally talk to. It is just another "friend". I try pretty hard to avoid doing that. But I see a lot of people that will friend people just because of the high school they went to & they friend each other on facebook because of a mutual friend or of a kids sport/activity. They have no interests, they share no actual likes, they don't think the same,  they could really care less about ever getting together, talking on the phone, doing anything together, but they are friends on facebook because of the fact of a high school or growing up. I don't get that. That isn't a friend. So I think it actually gives a false sense of friendship. People have hundreds of "friends" that really aren't. I go thru my list all the time and if we really don't talk, we don't like or interact on facebook, we haven't met on another board where we think alike or have the same interests, I get rid of them. So even if I make a friend from high school, which is rare, I had to have really talked to them a lot & just lost touch because we moved away, then I will give them a bit of time, and if we have nothing in common, we aren't liking each others posts, we are day & night on what we are about or liking, then I won't stay friends with them on facebook either. 

tazmidgiefairy
by Representative on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Elementry not so much high school yea my one friend moved to germany
TerriC
by Terri on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I couldn't agree more.  They are more like sisters to me than just friends.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I think it's very nice to have the people you had growing up now present in your adult life. We're such good friends that we can call one another at any hour, and we'd do anything for each other. I can call them when there's an emergency, and within an hour they're sitting next to me.

Quoting TerriC:

That is nice. I have my 2 best friends from way back that I always stay in touch with.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Some of us are still very good friends.

TerriC
by Terri on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

The friend I met in 3rd grade, we still talk and her Mom and my Mom are still very close.  It is so cool to have a friend that has been in my life for that long.  We met when we were 8 and we are both 42 now....eekkk, OLD!  LOL

Quoting courtneyann29:

Yes. One of my very best friends has also been my longest friendship.  We've been friends since 5th grade (23 years!).  She lives on the other side of the country so we don't visit often.  We skype when we can, and before I started working we talked on the phone almost every day. :)

Another of my good friends I've known since jr high...maybe 19 or 20 years.  We have a lot of differences and our lives are sometimes in complete opposite directions, but we can still pick up exactly where we left off, even if we haven't talked for weeks.

I've also been keeping in touch with a lot of people I went to school with through facebook.  If it wasn't for facebook I probably wouldn't talk to them now, though.

TerriC
by Terri on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Makes sense.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I think that facebook is good to keep long distance friends together because you can't just show up at their house, day to day lives get in the way of phone calls a lot, but I think at the same time, you friend someone on facebook that you wouldn't normally talk to. It is just another "friend". I try pretty hard to avoid doing that. But I see a lot of people that will friend people just because of the high school they went to & they friend each other on facebook because of a mutual friend or of a kids sport/activity. They have no interests, they share no actual likes, they don't think the same,  they could really care less about ever getting together, talking on the phone, doing anything together, but they are friends on facebook because of the fact of a high school or growing up. I don't get that. That isn't a friend. So I think it actually gives a false sense of friendship. People have hundreds of "friends" that really aren't. I go thru my list all the time and if we really don't talk, we don't like or interact on facebook, we haven't met on another board where we think alike or have the same interests, I get rid of them. So even if I make a friend from high school, which is rare, I had to have really talked to them a lot & just lost touch because we moved away, then I will give them a bit of time, and if we have nothing in common, we aren't liking each others posts, we are day & night on what we are about or liking, then I won't stay friends with them on facebook either. 

_Mrs.H_
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Not really.

lizzymom80
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
A few from elementary school (on Facebook mostly,) and quite a few from jr high and high school. All mostly on Facebook with the exception of my HS best friend who I still consider my best friend. We talk quite a bit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)