Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

My town won Coolest Small Town

Posted by   + Show Post

Well it's official....LITITZ is the coolest small town in america....

Photo: I am very proud to call Main Lititz, PA home! Congratulations on being Best Small Town in America!!!

Sharon

come join the Revenge chat.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118222

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Replies (21-25):
PinkDragonFly
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM

close to Lancaster. Near the Lancaster Airport.

Quoting mandapanda82:

Never been where in pa is this cool town?

Sharon

PinkDragonFly
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:23 AM

that is the way Malvern is, (where I use to live) small, but everyone knows everyone... 

Quoting HeadKrobe8789:

That's awesome!  I'd love to live in a small town.  My town has that small town "feel" to it (with the exception of everybody knowing each other) but it's actually quite big.

Sharon

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.centralpennparent.com/Heres-The-Scoop/February-2013/Lititz-named-best-small-town-in-America/

Lititz named best small town in America

Feb 19, 2013 - 09:53 AM
Lititz named best small town in America

Out of 15 contenders, Lititz stands alone with the title of Coolest Small Town in America.

Budget Travel hosted an online contest for readers to vote on which small town is the best in the country, and Lititz came out on top. It was announced last weekend—fittingly—during the town’s Fire & Ice Festival, an event that tries to help everyone beat the winter blues.

According to Downtown Lititz’s Facebook page, the town held a spontaneous celebration at Lititz Springs Park Sunday afternoon. It is now taking ideas as it forms a committee to decide how best to celebrate this honor.

The town features a mix of history, shopping, food and a park in a quaint setting—and that’s all along just two main roads.

Here’s Lititz’s bio on the Budget Travel website:

"Founded in 1756 as a Moravian community, Lititz takes its 250-year history seriously even as it embraces its vibrant present. This Lancaster County town's Lititz Springs Park has been a center of town life since the 18th century, when it was the site of public concerts, and houses a welcome center in a replica of a 19th-century Reading & Columbia"

For more on Lititz, check out this edition of Kruisin with Kurt from September when Kurt took a tour of the town.

vallhk
by vals6pack on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM

awesome lol

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/816564_Lititz--Sebastian-Janoski-will-sing-Tuesday-on-Katie-Couric-s-show.html

Originally Published Feb 18, 2013 18:04
By TOM KNAPP
Staff Writer

Sebastian Janoski is 13 years old, but — surprisingly, for someone his age — he ranks the Beatles, Michael Jackson and Aretha Franklin above the likes of Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift.

"I really don't like a lot of the newer singers," the Lititz boy says. "It's not really my music."

His musical tastes have served to fuel his musical aspirations. Sebastian, who already has spent six years making his way as a performer, will be featured Tuesday afternoon on Katie Couric's talk show, "Katie."

The 3 p.m. broadcast on ABC is a special segment called "One to Watch," which features singers who have made it big on YouTube.

Sebastian and the other contestants — two women, much older from his perspective, at 27 and 30 — performed for judges Clive Davis and Jordan Sparks.

"He looks very good on TV," says his father, Paul Janoski, who watched the show from backstage with Sebastian's mother Tanya, sister Siera and grandmother Susan Janoski.

Sebastian credits a creative family — particularly his aunt, Ann Straley, who sings in several local bands — with lighting his artistic fires at an early age.

"I started singing when I was really young, like when I was 3," he says. "I decided it was something I wanted to do when I was 5 or 6. I've been performing since I was 7."

His appearance on Couric's show came about after he recorded a video of himself singing "Ho Hey" by the Lumineers.

"It was a song I'd just learned that day," he says. "My dad sent it to the Katie Couric show. Apparently, they liked it."

A show representative called Sebastian's parents on Feb. 10 and asked them to bring their son to Couric's New York studio to tape an appearance bright and early on Feb. 13.

Sebastian spent several hours there — rehearsing, getting his makeup and hair done, hanging out backstage in the green room and "seeing how everything worked."

It was fun, he says, chatting with Couric during his interview.

"She asked me a few questions," Sebastian says. "She seemed really nice. She was cool."

For his performance, he sent in a list of four songs, including classics such as "Imagine" and "House of the Rising Sun." Network executives chose "One More Night" by Maroon 5 — mostly, Sebastian says, because it was the easiest song for which to acquire licensing rights.

"I haven't been doing it for long, maybe a few weeks," he says. "But it has a nice beat to it, and it's really nice to sing."

He usually accompanies himself on guitar, but in this case the studio provided an instrumental track for Sebastian to sing with.

He was a little nervous, he admits, but says he "was pretty comfortable."

Perhaps that's because he's already honed his skills in front of crowds, singing the National Anthem for the Lancaster Barnstormers, performing in musicals at Ephrata Performing Arts Center and American Music Theatre, singing at open-mic nights in various local venues and sometimes putting a tip jar on the sidewalk and busking on street corners for Second Friday events in Lititz.

Last year he auditioned for the seventh season of NBC's "America's Got Talent." He made it to the top 200 out of 100,000 hopefuls who tried out for the show and was able to sing in St. Louis for celebrity judges Howie Mandell, Sharon Osbourne and Howard Howard Stern. But he didn't make it onto the show.

An eighth-grader at Our Mother of Perpetual Help, he's scheduled to perform in April at the LAUNCH Music Conference in Lancaster and in May at the Fulton Opera House.

After his performance for Katie Couric, judge Clive Davis told Sebastian he "should always have a plan B," just in case a musical career doesn't pan out.

"I don't really agree with that," Sebastian says with a smile. "It's all about performing. That's all I do. ... I really feel that's what I'm meant to do."

He's considering college, however.

"My dream school is Juilliard," he says, "if I'm not famous by then."

Check out Sebastian's music online at sebastianjanoski.com.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN