Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

Philadelphia school system

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

What do you all think about the school system? This includes Chartered schools. 

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SlightlyPerfect
Me after The Bean got on the school bus this morning...
Today at 9:20 PM
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I would never send my kid to schools in Philadelphia or Reading or Allentown, for example. We moved to a small farm town in a great district.

But my good friend teaches English at a charter school in Philly, and I completed one of my student-teaching experiences in a Philly public high school. I also taught English in a suburban district and then in Allentown for awhile. So I may be biased because of her and my personal experiences.

Conversely, I know people who went to Philly schools, and they had great experiences. I just know it's not for us.

slightlyperfect

January1964
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM

They suck. My husband teaches at a Phila school. We need to move before our dd is in kindergarten.

bubbabarbie
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I graduated from Phila HS for Girls (Girls High) in 1970.  Got a great education back.   Not sure what it is like today, but hope it isn't as bad as some of the other schools I have read about.  I moved to western PA after I got married. 

vallhk
by vals6pack on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

my bestie lives in Phillie, not sure where exactly,  but she hasn't said too much good or bad about them,  she did finish up and get her diploma in that area. but that was 14 yrs ago

courtneyann29
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I would NEVER send my kids there.  NEVER.

mamajewelx5
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Yeah i totally agree with you guys. I wish there was some other way for my kids to be taught. My husband and I cant afford private school and with our large family i cant afford to be out of work much longer or id home school them all. Hopefully when we move outta here its to a better county. You guys wouldnt believe the things these kids are allowed to do in school. They have whole periods where they are allowed to be on pandora and wateever other network they like during a whole period its like freetime for them. I had one teacher tell my daughter, I as her mother may not know all the latest news about sex and the human body because there is always new stuff coming out...I was so pissed like who is she to tell my daughter I dont know whats going on in the world enough to teach her correctly  on my own. She acted as if im not a young woman myself now a days protecting myself and my girls by staying updated on this kinda stuff for my health as well as theirs.

tazmidgiefairy
by Representative on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:59 AM

i hate it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)