Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

wedding license

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:37 AM
  • 12 Replies
Does anybody know if you need your birth certificates to get a marriage license in the state of pennsylvania?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tiff_R_92
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Bump
MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM

What will we need to bring with us?

All applicants will need to provide their social security number and a government issued photo ID for the marriage license in Pennsylvania to be issued. Foreign nationals will need to present a current and unexpired passport. If this is not your first marriage and your previous marriage ended in divorce or annulment, you will also need to bring the official paperwork that shows the marriage was dissolved. This means a certified copy of the final divorce decree or the official annulment papers. If the previous marriage ended in a foreign country and the paperwork is not in English, you will need to provide an official translation as well.

Do we need to get blood tests done before we apply for our marriage license?

No, Pennsylvania does not require you or your fiance to get any blood or medical tests in order to get your marriage license.

Does Pennsylvania have a waiting period for the license?

Yes, the Register of Wills will not issue the license until three days after you file the application. This means that you will need to apply for your license at least three days before your wedding. Under certain circumstances, a judge may waive the waiting period upon application.

How much does a Pennsylvania marriage license cost?

Because the licenses are issued at the county level, the cost depends on where you apply. For example, Centre County charges $50 while Bucks County charges $60. Your local County Register of Wills will have more information on the license fee in your county, as well as the cost of any additional fees that you may need to pay to get your marriage license such as translation services and certified copies.  

courtneyann29
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM

We didn't.  But that was 9 years ago.

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I remember when they did require blood work. We did have to get the 3 day waive LOL. Military reasons :)

Tiff_R_92
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks ladies
tazmidgiefairy
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I think you do and if either of you have been married before divorce paper call and ask i did and the answered my question no problems

mamajewelx5
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Not that I know of my husband and I just got one two years ago and we didnt need birth certificates just photo id's and our parents full names.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Quoting MichelleMc:

I remember when they did require blood work. We did have to get the 3 day waive LOL. Military reasons :)

I was thinking that they required that when we got married (14.5 years ago).

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Not sure we got married in Maryland.

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Quoting SahmTam:

Quoting MichelleMc:

I was thinking that they required that when we got married (14.5 years ago).

Yeah we were 16.5 years ago ( 17 in July ) so yep, we had the blood work too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)