Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You talk funny

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 20 Replies

These are some examples of Pittsburghese.  What are some odd sayings or pronunciations from your neck of the woods?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shoot4thestars
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I never realized that I say a lot of these, I don't live too far out of Pittsburgh....lol

tazmidgiefairy
by Representative on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I am from bucks county and when i was living in philly peoplr told mr I had an accent and it not that far fron on another
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM

LOL I remember my grandma (from Butler) saying she and my grandpa had taken a trip to Worshington, D.C. :-D

Around here:

Speck- fat. Picture an old lady saying, "I'm gonna catch your speck!" to a baby and pinching it's chubby legs. That is almost exclusively how the word is used.

Daresn't. "You daresn't do that!" It's like saying, "Don't do that!", but more ominous. At least when my MIL says it. I guess it was supposed to have been a contraction of dare not, but I daresn't speculate.

Onest (pronounced "Vunst"), a variation of the word "once". "Come here, vunst, I want to ask you something." I can only guess the phrase was invented to avoid someone coming to you twice or thrice or more when you only have one thing to tell them.

courtneyann29
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:31 AM

"jaggoff"...lol  I didn't realize that was a Pittsburgh thing.

How about "cousint"?  Is that Pittsburgh? lol

"Ig'nernt" is a Pittsburgh thing??  I didn't realize that either.  lol

There is really a fine line between Pittsburghese and talking like a hillbilly. ;)

MichelleMc
by Representative on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Nebby for Noisy

My area, We say some of these but we don't talk like that for the most part LOL. Just the things like Red up, Yinz & Slippy ( older people say it ) I heard Jaggoff from my cousins. But it isn't something still used. I haven't heard that in years. And Warsh, adding the R ( older people ). The younger generation doesn't add the R. My mom & aunts add the R but no one else younger I know add the R. Otherwise I don't know anyone that talks like that. I have heard some Pittsburgh people talk like that, ( teasing anyway ) But I haven't met any that actually do talk like that, and know quite a lot of them. Again, its usually a generation thing or like when they are drunk or trying to do it. 

Michelle, Zumba & Body Combat Addict
Proud Mom of Jonathan, My Future Soldier, Civil Air Patrol Cadet, Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

TerriC
by Terri on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Yeah when I moved here, I had a hard time understanding some people...lol

lalasmama2007
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I used to her jaggoff in Philadelphia, but that was eons ago! lol

Quoting courtneyann29:

There is really a fine line between Pittsburghese and talking like a hillbilly. ;)

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Redd up, slippy and worsh is said around here often.

You'uns and ain't~ used like Right? are popular around here too.

steelcrazy
by Representative on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Those are too funny and I have to admit that I've never heard any of them.

Quoting SahmTam:

LOL I remember my grandma (from Butler) saying she and my grandpa had taken a trip to Worshington, D.C. :-D

Around here:

Speck- fat. Picture an old lady saying, "I'm gonna catch your speck!" to a baby and pinching it's chubby legs. That is almost exclusively how the word is used.

Daresn't. "You daresn't do that!" It's like saying, "Don't do that!", but more ominous. At least when my MIL says it. I guess it was supposed to have been a contraction of dare not, but I daresn't speculate.

Onest (pronounced "Vunst"), a variation of the word "once". "Come here, vunst, I want to ask you something." I can only guess the phrase was invented to avoid someone coming to you twice or thrice or more when you only have one thing to tell them.

steelcrazy
by Representative on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Yes, there is a very fine line between Pittsburghese and hillbilly.  lol

Oh and cousint is a burgh thing.  lol

Quoting courtneyann29:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)