Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

These are some examples of Pittsburghese.  What are some odd sayings or pronunciations from your neck of the woods?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
steelcrazy
by Representative on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Nebby is nosy not noisy.  

Honestly, pretty much everyone that I know talks like this.  I don't really notice it though until someone points it out.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Nebby for Noisy

My area, We say some of these but we don't talk like that for the most part LOL. Just the things like Red up, Yinz & Slippy ( older people say it ) I heard Jaggoff from my cousins. But it isn't something still used. I haven't heard that in years. And Warsh, adding the R ( older people ). The younger generation doesn't add the R. My mom & aunts add the R but no one else younger I know add the R. Otherwise I don't know anyone that talks like that. I have heard some Pittsburgh people talk like that, ( teasing anyway ) But I haven't met any that actually do talk like that, and know quite a lot of them. Again, its usually a generation thing or like when they are drunk or trying to do it. 

steelcrazy
by Representative on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Some other favorites of mine are "jeet jet?"  Which translates to "Did you eat yet?"  "Gum band"  which translates to "rubber band".  "Tin foil" which is "aluminum foil".

vallhk
by vals6pack on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM

lol Idk,  I guess I do.  we have strong dutch accents here, they say like onced nah.  once now.  and things along those lines.

courtneyann29
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Ahhh....I recognize nebby for nosy..I couldn't quite place it for noisy. lol

Quoting steelcrazy:

Nebby is nosy not noisy.  

Honestly, pretty much everyone that I know talks like this.  I don't really notice it though until someone points it out.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Nebby for Noisy

My area, We say some of these but we don't talk like that for the most part LOL. Just the things like Red up, Yinz & Slippy ( older people say it ) I heard Jaggoff from my cousins. But it isn't something still used. I haven't heard that in years. And Warsh, adding the R ( older people ). The younger generation doesn't add the R. My mom & aunts add the R but no one else younger I know add the R. Otherwise I don't know anyone that talks like that. I have heard some Pittsburgh people talk like that, ( teasing anyway ) But I haven't met any that actually do talk like that, and know quite a lot of them. Again, its usually a generation thing or like when they are drunk or trying to do it. 

:)
Courtney

MichelleMc
by Representative on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Opps yeah, didn't mean to hit the i, bumped it with the o.

I don't know anyone that talks that way. Again, unless they are older. Of course the Bob or Tom show makes fun of them for it, LOL. But yeah, maybe it is a side of town or an age thing LOL. I don't know. Its all good though, I never got that way of talking anyway. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

Nebby is nosy not noisy.  

Quoting MichelleMc:

Nebby for Noisy

Michelle, Zumba & Body Combat Addict
Proud Mom of Jonathan, My Future Soldier, Civil Air Patrol Cadet, Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

MichelleMc
by Representative on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Some other favorites of mine are "jeet jet?"  Which translates to "Did you eat yet?"  "Gum band"  which translates to "rubber band".  "Tin foil" which is "aluminum foil".

Yeah none of those either for this area either LOL. I have heard of Gum band, that is for sure Pittsburgh I am told. Haven't heard of Tin Foil though. And the Jeet Jet, for sure not. Its like, TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have heard of it out of a Jeff Foxworthy CD though.

Proud Mom of Jonathan, My Future Soldier, Civil Air Patrol Cadet, Eagle & Vigil Scout

MichelleMc
by Representative on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Yeah have to watch typing fast from now on.

Quoting courtneyann29:

Ahhh....I recognize nebby for nosy..I couldn't quite place it for noisy. lol

Quoting steelcrazy:

Nebby is nosy not noisy.  

Quoting MichelleMc:

Nebby for Noisy

lalasmama2007
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM

My grandmother used to say tin foil.

Quoting steelcrazy:

melschlegs
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I'm originally from Michigan (which DH calls southern Canadian), so imagine a lighter version of a Minnesota or Wisconsin accent.  For reference, watch clips on Youtube from the movie Fargo ("Fahrgoh").

JTE11
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I have heard "girraft" for giraffe, "cousint" for cousin, "behint" for behind,  and "ambleance" am-blee-ance  for ambulance.  I also hear a lot of "westerin" and "patterin" for western and pattern.  I do hear some "yous" instead of "yunz" but that's as you get closer to Somerset. We get a lot of "Up'air" and "dahn'air" for up there and down there and absolutely no "ing" at the ends of words. It's all runnin, smokin, spittin, drivin etc. It's like people are drunk and have a mouth full of marbles, lol. I live in the Laurel Highlands.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)