Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On this day in 1833...

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 13 Replies

...the first Public Library opened in Peterborough, NH.  

Do you go to the library often?  

reading

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM

We go all the time.  Our local libraries are great.  They have all the new releases on blu-ray, CDs, Wii games, DS games, etc.  We each have our own library cards.  We also go to a lot of free events that they hold there as well.

TableforSeven
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM

We only ever visited the library when our kids were doing term papers or needed summer-reading-list books.  Generally speaking, we buy all the books we read.  The libraries near us were HORRIBLE.  The own for our township was tiny and cramped....the one for the bigger city near-by was in a scary part of town and I refused to go there at night...especially with the kids!

I'm not even sure if there is a library in the town we live in now.  I should find out....I should be reading beginner books to help me learn Hebrew, but don't need to buy a ton.

courtneyann29
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I go in phases.  Sometimes I'll go a lot, sometimes I'll go every once in a while.  I haven't been for a couple of months, but that's because I bought some books at a rummage sale and I've been reading those. :)

TerriC
by Terri on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Sadly, no.  It is in a part of town I am not crazy about.

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

That's too bad =(

Quoting TerriC:

Sadly, no.  It is in a part of town I am not crazy about.

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM

No. With being in the township, it used to be anyway, you had to pay for your card. Plus, it isn't really close, and parking is a nightmare. Add in the hours are odd, and I am more get my books cheap at the flea market, just isn't my thing. We went a little more when Jonathan was younger in CT, but never really much here because of where it is, how it works, the hours, etc. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM

We go often in the summer, but rarely during the school year. The kids get what they need from the school library during the school year.

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM

That stinks if you have to pay for your card.  Everything is free here.

Quoting MichelleMc:

No. With being in the township, it used to be anyway, you had to pay for your card. Plus, it isn't really close, and parking is a nightmare. Add in the hours are odd, and I am more get my books cheap at the flea market, just isn't my thing. We went a little more when Jonathan was younger in CT, but never really much here because of where it is, how it works, the hours, etc. 

hapababies
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Our township has the tiniest little library you have ever seen, maybe 1000 square feet, maybe. It has only been around since 1990. I tried taking the boys to toddler story time but it was frustrating. All they wanted to do was run around the library because the children's room was too tiny for us to fit into with the other kids and parents there.
Two winters ago the township built a huge, 2 story library where the township building is. It was supposed to be open by last July, then October, then it was put on hold. This new library keeps failing inspections. How the heck does a brand new building fail so many inspections that it's delayed opening for a year? Last I heard, the entire roof has to be redone.
Sorry, that turned into a rant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninamsi
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I use to take the kids every Saturday when they were younger.  They go the library in school more now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)