Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what's right with this? College costs, and well meant efforts-- mocked

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM
  • 1 Replies

There is a bull standing in the way of those which desire and need to accomplish some choices and options of career, in science, health, or education. 

A bull which could be the college itself, the costs to heat, the rental for the property payments-- land ownership and teaching costs per hour,  what is left to do in payment for an educationally focused but poor person who WOULD APPRECIATE ah hand UP, and not a mockerY?  

In getting careers, it's as though you need to live in a ditch next to the college and change your clothes in the bathroom, wash them at the nearest car wash or live with 12-15 other students to get the ----so called HAND UP!   What a mockery of trying to look good in a society which pulls and kicks everyone back down.

IF educating and colleging young minds is such a turmoil, then would we ALL benefit if it was to improve our overall status symbol of ***SUCH PEACE**** and such a great country that we are going lower than low to undermine the best intentions?   For careers, for young innocent challenged hearts and minds, for OUR CHILDREN,  for their benefitting theirselves.  

What is right about tuition being so through the roof???!!!!f

It's understandable that costs are due to the blue listed above, ... but is it not those who pay , obtaining through grants and loans the reasons colleges are there in the first place. ?   Which is why they" need": to be trained in the FIRST *place.

I feel sorry for everyone is what we just taught them in school leaves their core ambitions .

I always felt more pressure from the college itself, the gammut and peers (rank, pressure to look the look, talk the talk, etc. ... rather than just have gotten that well meant ****TrAINING**** 

It's about time it stopped being about who has more money, and more status,  who knew, or knows who, and righteously called education/ school/ college,/  certification, etc,.    FOR THE PURPOSE ITSELF

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
mamavalor
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Hmm.  Interesting.  I have a different take on the whole college thing.  I don't see college as an entitlement but something I work for like a house or a good marriage for something ultimate like happiness in life.

I was a good student in HS, not particularly scholarly or outstanding in any way.  I worked throughout HS en lieu of sports and extracurricular activities.  I didn't study for the pSAT or SAT other than be part of the school's SAT prep class.  I saved my money and applied to one school.  My counselor had me apply to a "safety" school in case I didn't get into the one I wanted.  He paid for the application fee.  (I was stubborn but not a fool with my money.)  I eventually went to a good, solid private university (the one I wanted) and grad school, and eventually on to an Ivy League school for more grad work but didn't finish due to marriage and baby #1.  I paid my own way through all three schools, except for my first masters, where the school generously gave a half scholarship after I accepted.  I thought I hit the lottery and bought a car so I could part take in student teaching assignments that were outside the realm of public transportation.  Yes, I spent my own money, working two jobs, going to school full-time, living at home with my closed-minded parents (which I gave them rent and grocery money btw) to become a teacher.  My A work was in the public schools where my students' education was the primary focus, not my transcript.  Maybe that is why I love school so much because it was a place of comfort and learning and growing...not awards or scholarships or other nonsense stuff that some people think higher education is suppose to be.  For me paying the tuition was worth it because these schools helped make me who I am today and I am grateful for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)