Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

Can't lose weight or your too thin??? You could have a Thyroid Problem!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 24 Replies

Are you putting on the pounds & don't know why?  Your eating healthy foods & still the weight is coming on.  What's the reason for this?  It could be you have a Thyroid problem?  Your Thyroid affects many processes, organs & functions. 

Your Thyroid can affect all this:

Weight gain/loss, mental alertness, mood, stamina, hair loss, energy, temperature regulation, heart rate, digestion, muscle strength, menstrual regularity, cholesterol levels within normal range, sleep, respiratory, emotional balance, metabolic rate, hormones, skin.

I have had a Thyroid problem for many years. Been on medication to regulate my condition.  In the past three months I have been putting on a lot of weight.  I didn't know why?  I had my thyroid blood test taken & I was really out of balance.  Now i'm on new medication & taking vitamins which has Zinc & Selenium to give me more T-3 which I was very low on.

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms have your Thyroid checked.   It could be the answer!confusedDona127

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I almost wish it were a thyroid problem!  I've always been bigger but put on some weight in this last year and was tested.  Everything is normal. 

Just my fault for eating too much!

TurboMom81
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM

My Doctor wants to test me for Hypothyroid disorder.  Not sure how I feel about that

Dona127
by Dona on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Your lucky your Thyroid blood test came back normal.  If you just have an eating problem you can always work on that!  Eat smaller meals eliminate breads, carbs, sugar & desserts.  Eat more fruits & healthier snacks.  I use Stevia for my sugar.  I stay away from white sugar & breads or crackers.  Excercise that will help with losing weight too.  Get yourself on a plan & focus on your end result.  In no time you'll be looking great!

Quoting Vertical15:

I almost wish it were a thyroid problem!  I've always been bigger but put on some weight in this last year and was tested.  Everything is normal. 

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I'm working on it!

Quoting Dona127:

Your lucky your Thyroid blood test came back normal.  If you just have an eating problem you can always work on that!  Eat smaller meals eliminate breads, carbs, sugar & desserts.  Eat more fruits & healthier snacks.  I use Stevia for my sugar.  I stay away from white sugar & breads or crackers.  Excercise that will help with losing weight too.  Get yourself on a plan & focus on your end result.  In no time you'll be looking great!

Quoting Vertical15:

Dona127
by Dona on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM

There's nothing to it.  Just have a blood test taken for your Thyroid.  Your Doctor will make up the paper for the lab to work on.  In a few days your test results will go to your Doctor.  He'she then will go over your test results.    There must be a reason why your Doctor wants you to check your Thyroid?   For Hypo thyroid your thyroid hormone is not producing enough T-3 & T-4.   The symptoms listed above are what you may be experiencing.  Taking a medication to regulate your Thyroid condition will make you feel better.

Quoting TurboMom81:

My Doctor wants to test me for Hypothyroid disorder.  Not sure how I feel about that

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a month ago. I started medication for it, just had follow up blood work done. My levels are better than they were but my doctor upped my med slightly to get increase levels just a little more since I was still having some of the original symptoms. Thing that makes it difficult for me is that I also have active mono and chronic fatigue syndrome which also cause some of the same/similar symptoms (fatigue, aches and pains, etc.)

Dona127
by Dona on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I'm glad you found out about your low Thyroid condition.  Your right having symptoms of active mono & chronic fatique syndrome which are probably very similiar.  Being very tired is not a great feeling to have.   Somedays I great very tired that I can't keep my eyes open.  It's probably from my imbalance of my low Thyroid.   I told my Doctor about it he says all my symptoms comes from my imbalance.  It will take time to get my Thyroid in balance again I need to be patient with myself!

Quoting mumsy2three:

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a month ago. I started medication for it, just had follow up blood work done. My levels are better than they were but my doctor upped my med slightly to get increase levels just a little more since I was still having some of the original symptoms. Thing that makes it difficult for me is that I also have active mono and chronic fatigue syndrome which also cause some of the same/similar symptoms (fatigue, aches and pains, etc.)

Lorik1969
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I know it's terrible, but I wish it was my thyroid! My problem is an ongoing love affair with chocolate and pepsi!
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I was having horrible muscle aches/weakness and joint pain when I initially went to my doctor. I would have bet money that I had fibromyalgia I was really surprised to learn that under active thyroid can cause pain too.

Quoting Dona127:

I'm glad you found out about your low Thyroid condition.  Your right having symptoms of active mono & chronic fatique syndrome which are probably very similiar.  Being very tired is not a great feeling to have.   Somedays I great very tired that I can't keep my eyes open.  It's probably from my imbalance of my low Thyroid.   I told my Doctor about it he says all my symptoms comes from my imbalance.  It will take time to get my Thyroid in balance again I need to be patient with myself!

Quoting mumsy2three:

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Thankfully, I don't have that problem.  I've been the same weight for a good 9 years now, shortly after the birth of my youngest child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN