Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should people be driving & using their cell phones??

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:37 AM
  • 35 Replies

What's your comments on driving a vehicle & talking on the cell phone?  Do you think that should be aloud??drivingDona127

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dona127
by Dona on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I am against people driving on the roads & using their cell phones.  How can you concentrate on the road & talk on the phone at the same time?  People who are driving are not in present time in the first place.  Their minds are thinking of other things like:  What am I going to have for dinner tonight?  Am I going to be late for my appt.?  Which dress should I buy at the store?  etc.

I feel if you have to use your cell phone pull off the road & do your talking.   How ever long it takes then pull back on the road.  This should not be aloud & I think they should pass a law on the use of cell phone on the highway!

MichelleMc
by Representative on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

NO!~ I wish they would outlaw it like they did texting. I don't know how they passed right by that & added texting. I am glad they did, as texting is REALLY worse, but why they didn't add phones too, I just don't get. It drives me NUTS. People are totally lost, weaving, won't use turn signals because they don't have another hand, they won't turn their head to look when they move lands. It is like, the phone to their head, just stops their neck from turning. they go slower, don't realize they are like 10 miles below the speed limit. They can't make turns well. Because they have one hand, and that is it. ARGH

Can you tell it is a pet peeve? There are bluetooth head sets that are so cheap. And my new phone just came with a headset free. Not bluetooth, but geeze. I mean COME ON. 

Funny enough, all the city cops are almost always ON the phone. NOT bluetooth or headsets, nope Hand on phone to ear...It drives me up a wall! 

SlightlyPerfect
If you know you're a terrible person, why choose to continue?
Today at 11:05 AM
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a matter of privacy. I don't think it's the government's job to accommodate people's stupidity. On that same principle, the use of car radios, iPods, and any other like devices should be criminalized. To me that's a slippery slope I don't want to go down.

Conversely, I get insanely upset when I'm behind people who are all over the road because they are on their phones. It affects their driving, but they don't even realize it, so they can walk around saying "I can text and drive. I do just fine." and genuinely mean it.

But, no, I don't think it should be criminalized.

slightlyperfect

TerriC
by Terri on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I wish it was illegal!  I don't think people fully concentrate when they are on the phone.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I hate it.

I always answer husbands phone if we are driving and i place it on speaker phone if its important.

The only time he isnt with me in the car is wen he going and coming home from work
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Your first paragraph... My rule in the car is

Passenger is in charge of radio.

If im driving and no one is in car its stuck on the radio station it was left on. Commericals and all

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

It's a matter of privacy. I don't think it's the government's job to accommodate people's stupidity. On that same principle, the use of car radios, iPods, and any other like devices should be criminalized. To me that's a slippery slope I don't want to go down.

Conversely, I get insanely upset when I'm behind people who are all over the road because they are on their phones. It affects their driving, but they don't even realize it, so they can walk around saying "I can text and drive. I do just fine." and genuinely mean it.

SlightlyPerfect
If you know you're a terrible person, why choose to continue?
Today at 11:05 AM
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Yeah, but do you think your "rule" should be a law? Because that is what this comes down to. Is it your job to establish rules for your car's passengers or is it the government's job?

Plus the phone thing would allow for subpoenaing of phone records and other similar things. But with the recent NSA shit, what difference would it make, right?

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

If im driving and no one is in car its stuck on the radio station it was left on. Commericals and all

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

slightlyperfect

MichelleMc
by Representative on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I have nothing to hide on my phone. So I don't care if they have to go about subpoenaing my phone records. Also, even without a law in place, there are times, that they still can get you for being reckless if that is what seems to cause the accident, law or not. On the gov't shouldn't be making laws like this, where should they stop? Children can just jump around in cars? No seat belts? No car seats? No speed limits? No other laws? They can't pick some that are okay & then ignore the others. People on phones are dangerous & killing people, just like texting. We just lost a local firefighter because someone was texting & driving. People are doing the same driving & talking.

They are totally & completly distracted & for a long time half the time. A lot of people get in the car on the phone, go where they are going on the phone & are still on it when they get where they are going.  It isn't for a blink of changing a channel.

Plus, it isn't like I have seen a cop sitting outside looking for texting and pulling people over just by seeing them, it is just in place for when someone knowing causes it to hurt someone or are weaving or being dangerous. Then those are the ones that shouldn't be doing it & need to have the law in place to get them hit. 

I mean, I hate big gov't a TON. But on laws like this, where making someone use a device that has been out for years ( bluetooth or regular headset ). I am not against it. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Yeah, but do you think your "rule" should be a law? Because that is what this comes down to. Is it your job to establish rules for your car's passengers or is it the government's job?

Plus the phone thing would allow for subpoenaing of phone records and other similar things. But with the recent NSA shit, what difference would it make, right?

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Michelle, Body Combat Addict
Proud Mom of Jonathan, Army Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

lizzymom80
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM
See I agree with the poster that said where does it stop? I have been distracted by the radio and my kids. I have seen women putting on full makeup and who hasn't eaten or drank something. I think it is a slippery slope and if we aren't careful, big brother government will be watching every move.
Dona127
by Dona on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I would love to be a cop & just hand out thousands of tickets a day to people on the roads.  People today just don't drive the way they were taught many years ago.  People are rude, have no patience, don't give a dam about another person or child!   Do they ever STOP AT A STOP SIGN?  NO!   Do they ever yield to oncoming traffic?   NO!   They drive like drunks on the road half the time. 

I see this all the time when I'm out driving.  People are always rushing, pushing or rear ending someone to get by!   Where are all these cops that are supposed to give out tickets for speeding or reckless driving!   Not to mention people on cell phones & texting while their driving.  My Husbands cousin got into an accident because a women wasn't paying attention to what she was doing on the road.  His car was totaled & he has shoulder problems today that he has to live with.

We were going to Quakertown for my doctor's appt. one afternoon.  We were half way there just getting off of a main highway.  They were working on the road ahead of us so several cars stopped so we stopped too.  While we were sitting there in traffic in my rear view mirror I see a large green truck coming pretty fast in back of us.  I thought to myself I hope me stops.  Just as I said that he plowed right into our car.  Which pushed our car into the car in front of us.  Needless to say I never made my doctors appt.  I was having pain from the accident & so was my husband.  We ended up going to the emergency hospital near by.  Our car was totaled thanks to the guy in back of us who wasn't paying attention.

angryDona127 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)