Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's been a long few days!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

My parents took my kids on a trip to Niagara Falls from Friday-Sunday. Sunday night they came home and Justin was still having belly pains. He had them since Saturday a week ago- and last Monday night we were in the ER, they found he was constipated, and sent him home. They did a CT scan and nothing was found.

Well, he got home from Niagara this past Sunday and was in a lot of pain on his right side... shortly after getting home he started throwing up AND having diarrhea. I took him to the ER again at about 9:30pm. They did x-rays and an ultrasound- the u/s report said appendicitis couldn't be ruled out. After that (about midnight) he spiked a 101F fever (he hadn't had a fever up to that point.) Doc started really thinking appendicitis. He ordered another CT scan, but after finally (took 2 1/2 hours!!!! and 3 doses of Zofran (anti-nausea meds)) getting him to drink all of the contrast dye, he threw it all up. The CT scan couldn't be done. :-(

The doc wanted him admitted, but this hospital is small and there were no other kids admitted, so their peds floor wasn't open. At 4:45am we were transported by ambulance to another hospital. He was there the rest of that night, all day yesterday, overnight and we just got home today. They never did a CT scan, but repeated x-rays. His white blood cell count is good, so they think it is just severe constipation and not appendicitis.

I still believe appendicitis may be brewing, but I agree that I don't want to wait around in the hospital, as I've known of people who had the pain and constipation for weeks or months before the appendicitis got so bad the WBC went up and it was obvious. So... he's on Miralax and I'm hoping everything starts moving as it should now!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm tired!!!!!!!!!! lol

We were supposed to leave for a kids' camp Monday. Fortunately, a friend from church was going to be riding with us- a 22yo single girl. She took my older kids to camp (I have tons of family who will be at this camp), so they are there until late Thursday night. I feel bad that Justin is missing out, but the timing worked out so well so that I was not having to keep older kids with me all day at the hospital! And now I can have a few days with Justin to just focus on his diet and getting him well!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cafay
by Terri on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I'm so sorry. Your life has been quite tough lately. I hope things get better for you soon. And I really hope Justin feels better soon too. Nothing worse than having your babies sick.

steelcrazy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Oh wow!  I sure hope that things get cleared up for him quickly and you can get back to normal.

tazmidgiefairy
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Hope he feels better soon

lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Yikes!  I hope he's feeling better soon!

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Thanks all! He threw up again last night at 11pm. :-(  I am so stressed out! If they could just figure out the CAUSE!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking it's either appendicitis getting started OR that there is stool impacted in his bowel. I was NOT satisfied that they really got a good look on just an x-ray and u/s- which every doctor who came in the room had their own interpretation of the ultrasound- the "official" report that came with it said his appendix was 9mm and shouldn't be more than 6mm and that appendicitis couldn't be ruled out-- and yet that was just passed off as being a little large, but not bad! I'm not so confident about that, but admittedly I may lean more that way because I have had two kids who've had appendectomies already and see the signs!)

Anyway, thoughts/prayers are greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm going to lose it emotionally. Especially after having met a mom in the hospital playroom yesterday whose 2yo son has been having similar issues for over a month and is now to the point of being tube fed and no one has found the reason why the kid can't poop when on solids! Scary! I'm trying to logically tell myself that that kid and my son are very different (different ages, different stages- the mom even said they think it could be toddler stubbornness since it has been painful for him to go in the past he may be intentionally holding it)- but I can't get that tube and still no answers out of my mind!

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Wow oh my goodness!!!!

I thought most hospitals jut inject that dye now a days.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)