Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drs near me

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 14 Replies
Hi everyone. I just found out I was pregnant 2 weeks ago and I have only met with a nurse to do a urine test. They told me they don't do ultrasounds until 12 weeks. I want to tell my family but because I haven't seen my baby I'm worried something is wrong. I know its in my head but I don't know what to do. I want to tell people I'm pregnant I'm happy about it but I'm scared if I do tell I'm jinxing myself. I have a pelvic exam in s couple weeks and I'll be 8 weeks. I was thinking of telling them then.
What should I do? When was your first ultrasound?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Til 12 weeks? That's ridiculous!

Your best bet may be to contact your local abortion clinics. They provide option counseling and ultrasounds--along with OB/GYN visits. I used to work at one, and we did the ultrasounds as early as 5 weeks. In fact, when I found out I was pregnant with DD, I went there, and I got my first ultrasound pic at 5 weeks!

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

5 weeks? I didn't even know I was preg at 5 weeks. 

I can't imagine having one that early. I think 12 weeks is plenty early. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Your best bet may be to contact your local abortion clinics. They provide option counseling and ultrasounds--along with OB/GYN visits. I used to work at one, and we did the ultrasounds as early as 5 weeks. In fact, when I found out I was pregnant with DD, I went there, and I got my first ultrasound pic at 5 weeks!

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I think 12 weeks is a good time for an ultrasound. That was my first. I told people before my ultrasound. Of course my son is 18 so this whole having alot of ultrasounds or having them early etc is new. Insurance wouldn't pay for more than one without a reason either. Me, I equal Ultrasounds with issues, as that is what they were for me. It was nice to know the sex, but we got the %'s, LOL. 

SlightlyPerfect
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I knew at less than 4 weeks. I called where I used to work, and they got me in the next week.

When it comes to abortions in PA, though, they have to know ASAP in order for the patient to make a decision on whether to carry to term. The machines can go as early as 4 weeks. But most clinics here offer low-cost OB-GYN care as well, and they use the ultrasound machines for those visits, too, and they have great referral systems in place for adoption or parenting classes.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I was talking purely & only about ultrasounds on times. Won't get into discussions on the other.

I just meant that I couldn't imagine even getting an ultra sound at 5 weeks & I think that 12 weeks is plenty early for one. That is when you can see the sex or at least should & more definition of a baby. Then you will want another to see the sex and why a lot wait for the 12 week mark. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I knew at less than 4 weeks. I called where I used to work, and they got me in the next week.

When it comes to abortions in PA, though, they have to know ASAP in order for the patient to make a decision on whether to carry to term. The machines can go as early as 4 weeks. But most clinics here offer low-cost OB-GYN care as well, and they use the ultrasound machines for those visits, too, and they have great referral systems in place for adoption or parenting classes.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

SlightlyPerfect
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM

They can see the sex at 12 weeks? Are you serious???? I waited a long 20 weeks to find out I was having a girl!

I always felt women waited til they were out of the first trimester to avoid telling people they were pregnant only to experience a miscarriage. And as far as I know, if you find out you're pregnant, an OB/GYN's office would ultrasound you at your first visit. I think--think--that is standard now.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I was talking purely & only about ultrasounds on times. Won't get into discussions on the other.

I just meant that I couldn't imagine even getting an ultra sound at 5 weeks & I think that 12 weeks is plenty early for one. That is when you can see the sex or at least should & more definition of a baby. Then you will want another to see the sex and why a lot wait for the 12 week mark. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

yankeefan828
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Nope nothing just a pee test then on sept 16 just a pelvic exam. They treated me like I was crazy. Pushing a midwife on me and dismissing my questions. They told me 12 sp they know the pregnancy is viable. I saw red when they told me that. All I was thinking is if it's not I have to deliver a baby that isn't alive or get a d&c. I scared out if my mind. Honestly I would just be happy of I can hear the heartbeat at 8 weeks.
JTE11
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM

The last time I got pregnant I didn't tell people until I knew it was a healthy baby. The time before that I also wanted to wait to tell them but DH got overexcited and told his family and then I miscarried so then we had all of that awkwardness. I wanted to tell them as soon as I found out the last time but I wanted to be sure we really had news before saying anything. We had an ultrasound at 10 weeks (?) I think but we waited two more weeks after that to get through the first trimester before saying something.

PartyGalAnne
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Women had babies for thousands of years without ultrasounds.

You're overthinking this.

bhow
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM

We didn't tell ANY BODY UNTIL we knew for 100% certain (via ultrasound) that things were looking good and healthy.  For us it was a matter of privacy.  We were 12 weeks + before we started to tell people.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)