Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

have a method for tipping?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
steelcrazy
by Representative on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I tip based on service and have been known to leave a penny for a tip.  The waitress spilled a whole picture of iced tea in my lap, so she definately deserved the penny tip.  To this day I do not understand how it could have possibly been an accident since the cup wasn't sitting on the edge of the table.

TerriC
by Terri on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM
A whole pitcher? Oh my! Was it a well known place, small place? Did she have an attitude?

Quoting steelcrazy:

I tip based on service and have been known to leave a penny for a tip.  The waitress spilled a whole picture of iced tea in my lap, so she definately deserved the penny tip.  To this day I do not understand how it could have possibly been an accident since the cup wasn't sitting on the edge of the table.

steelcrazy
by Representative on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM

It was at Eat 'n Park back in the early 90's.  She was a teenager, so who knows what her problem was.  I was with  group of college friends.

Quoting TerriC:

A whole pitcher? Oh my! Was it a well known place, small place? Did she have an attitude?

Quoting steelcrazy:

TerriC
by Terri on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Yeah, spilling an entire pitcher. You'd have to really make me believe it was an accident!

Quoting steelcrazy:

It was at Eat 'n Park back in the early 90's.  She was a teenager, so who knows what her problem was.  I was with  group of college friends.

Quoting TerriC:

Quoting steelcrazy:

SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I do 18-20%. Even if the service isn't the most awesome- I always just feel bad or think they might have been having a really horrible day or something.

Only once did I not leave a tip at all. It was at a Cracker Barrel- the only restaurant around that we could find open. I was with my parents and oldest son. We were traveling and my hubby stayed at the hotel with my daughter (he'd had McDs while on the road lol). We got in kind of late and headed to dinner at 8pm.

It took forever to get someone to wait on us and there were hardly any other customers. The waiters were all teenage boys just loafing around cluelessly. When we finally did get to order the drinks came out all wrong, the food came out all wrong. Not just a few items wrong- everything completely 100% wrong! They took the orders again and again we waited and waited. Finally the food came- when it was all said and done we were there until 11pm. Ridiculous. We went to pay the bill. Well, really, we had no intention of paying the bill- but we wanted to see if they would offer a free meal. No, they were planning to charge us full price! Seriously!? We talked to the manager who ended up not charging us. There was no way I was leaving a cent on that table!

TerriC
by Terri on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I can't say I blame you, that is horrible service.  3 hours waiting for food?  Unacceptable!

Quoting SahmTam:

I do 18-20%. Even if the service isn't the most awesome- I always just feel bad or think they might have been having a really horrible day or something.

Only once did I not leave a tip at all. It was at a Cracker Barrel- the only restaurant around that we could find open. I was with my parents and oldest son. We were traveling and my hubby stayed at the hotel with my daughter (he'd had McDs while on the road lol). We got in kind of late and headed to dinner at 8pm.

It took forever to get someone to wait on us and there were hardly any other customers. The waiters were all teenage boys just loafing around cluelessly. When we finally did get to order the drinks came out all wrong, the food came out all wrong. Not just a few items wrong- everything completely 100% wrong! They took the orders again and again we waited and waited. Finally the food came- when it was all said and done we were there until 11pm. Ridiculous. We went to pay the bill. Well, really, we had no intention of paying the bill- but we wanted to see if they would offer a free meal. No, they were planning to charge us full price! Seriously!? We talked to the manager who ended up not charging us. There was no way I was leaving a cent on that table!

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I base it on the job the person does.

SlightlyPerfect
Today at 9:28 AM
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. 25% if it's excellent. Otherwise usually 20% unless the service was awful.

Ma2JennaB
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:55 PM

15% for normal service.  20% for great service....more if it was above and beyond.  On Christmas Eve we go to eat after service and tip 50%.  I feel working at 8pm on Christmas Eve deserves it.  Except two years ago - he got $5 on a $40 bill - he was so awful I ended up lodging a complaint and got free gift cards, but we have our favorite guy there who is amazing to us- he gets $20+ every year. 

TerriC
by Terri on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:27 AM

What a nice gesture at Christmas time!  :-)

Quoting Ma2JennaB:

15% for normal service.  20% for great service....more if it was above and beyond.  On Christmas Eve we go to eat after service and tip 50%.  I feel working at 8pm on Christmas Eve deserves it.  Except two years ago - he got $5 on a $40 bill - he was so awful I ended up lodging a complaint and got free gift cards, but we have our favorite guy there who is amazing to us- he gets $20+ every year. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)