Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania Moms Pennsylvania Moms

Do you agree or disagree?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM
  • 20 Replies

Unhappiest Cities: #10 – Scranton-Wilkes-Barre-Hazleton, Pennsylvania

Scranton-Wilkes-Barre-Hazleton, Pennsylvania

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ninamsi
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Unhappiest Cities: #4 – Erie, Pennsylvania

Erie, Pennsylvania

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I've never been to Scranton and can't imagine ever going.  I've been to Erie multiple times and would imagine that it is pretty unhappy during the winter, possibly even 6 months out of the year.  They get dumped on pretty hard with snow.

At least Erie is sorta a travel destination, can't think of anything that Scranton has going for it.

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Pittsburgh got #2 I think, it was the topic on the news. 

Which people are miserable in this area. They moan & whine and omgosh, if you don't love the Steelers, gag, they just want to hang you off a bridge. So they can be miserable simply because of a sport. Just simply think they are better than others, which is too funny. People also commented on the news that people drink a lot there, so it causes that. 

MissyB1011
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM

DH has family in the Scranton/Hazleton area. We have gone to visit and done tourist things, but I don't think I would want to live there.

My youngest brother went to college in Erie. It is nasty in the winter. He couldn't wait to graduate and move back.

I live about 45 min from Pittsburgh. Other than sitting in rush hour, I like to visit. I wouldn't be too happy living there because I like small town living as opposed to city living.

ninamsi
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MissyB1011:

DH has family in the Scranton/Hazleton area. We have gone to visit and done tourist things, but I don't think I would want to live there.

My youngest brother went to college in Erie. It is nasty in the winter. He couldn't wait to graduate and move back.

I live about 45 min from Pittsburgh. Other than sitting in rush hour, I like to visit. I wouldn't be too happy living there because I like small town living as opposed to city living.

I live in the city and would have the opposite problem.  I have only been past Scranton in the truck with my husband. 

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MissyB1011:

I'm right there with ya on liking to visit the city, but having no desire to ever live there.  I'll happily keep on living out in our neck of the woods for sure.

ninamsi
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Unhappiest Cities: #2 – St. Joseph, Missouri

Quoting MichelleMc:

Which people are miserable in this area. They moan & whine and omgosh, if you don't love the Steelers, gag, they just want to hang you off a bridge. So they can be miserable simply because of a sport. Just simply think they are better than others, which is too funny. People also commented on the news that people drink a lot there, so it causes that. 

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Must be two different lists. Pittsburgh news station did a piece on it. Funny enough though the "Good News" Was jobs, and most of the comments were yeah there are no jobs LOL

Pittsburgh ranks #2 on ‘most unhappy’ cities list

•  14 2958 81 3402

Related

Pittsburgh skyline photo
Pittsburgh skyline

PITTSBURGH — 

A new study by the U.S. National Bureau of Economic Research ranks Pittsburgh as the second most unhappy city in the U.S.

The city earned its ranking based on a survey asking respondents about their satisfaction with life.

The good news? According to this study, people are still willing to move to cities such as ours [despite its unhappy ranking] for jobs and lower housing costs.

“Our research indicates that people care about more than happiness alone, so other factors may encourage them to stay in a city despite their unhappiness,” says co-author of the study, Joshua Gottlieb, of the University of British Columbia. “This means that researchers and policy-makers should not consider an increase in reported happiness as an overriding objective.”

Gottlieb and his co-authors investigated which regions of the U.S. tend to report lower life satisfaction, and found that residents of declining cities appear less happy than those who live in other parts of the U.S.

Quoting ninamsi:

Unhappiest Cities: #2 – St. Joseph, Missouri

Quoting MichelleMc:

Michelle,
Proud Mom toJonathan, Eagle & Vigil Scout and Army Soldier 
Proud Navy Submarine Vet Wife to Jake

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I like that we are 50-60 minutes away & can visit if we need to also. I couldn't take having to live in a big city even a medium city LOL

Quoting MissyB1011:

Michelle,
Proud Mom toJonathan, Eagle & Vigil Scout and Army Soldier 
Proud Navy Submarine Vet Wife to Jake

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I found where the news station got their listing. They were only doing Metropolitan areas. Pittsburgh being 2nd & Philadephia being 10th. 

So the news team said cities list, but it wasn't. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)