Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting a puppy...

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM
  • 22 Replies

Okay so we are getting a puppy for our son and well I dont know where to go. I've been looking online at SPCA's and holy crap do they want money. And we are looking for a Border Collie (or mutt) so that just makes it even harder. My husband would rather have a puppy or young adult than a older dog (personal reasons).

Can anyone help?

I saw the Hillside SPCA had a prescreening form and $140 fee... is this normal now? I havent bought a dog in 12 years so I'm outta the game for this.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I've never been to an SPCA, but $140 is cheap for a puppy.  Have you tried looking in the newspaper or checking local shelters?

MichelleMc
by Group Admin on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Yes the costs are a little higher now because they come with all their shots, spay/neutering, usually microchipping, etc. With that, the cost is for sure going to be higher. Plus they figure, if you can't afford $140, then you shouldn't be getting a dog, especially a puppy. ( They say ) It is actually on a lot of the forms now, they ask how much you think it will cost you to keep the dog a year, etc. It is like an application of approval, versus just taking the dog off their hands. 

I would never get a dog under 9 months to a year because they are a lot of work, especially with young kids. I want a dog that is house trained, out of chewing usually and still young & ready to grow with our family. About a year to 18 months is perfect, still young enough to grow with the family. 

I don't know about SPCA, but look at local shelters. All of ours have been rescues and they are great. What I know about border collies is that they need a lot of physical exercise so do you have a large yard & the time to take them & work them? They are "working" dogs, meant to do a lot of physical activity.  They aren't know to do well with small kids if they don't get the attention they need because they don't go well with being bored. 

Mutts are always great though. They love being loved. All of our dogs were mutts & just always did great around all the kids in our households from young to now none. 

spitfire06
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM
I would go to a shelter :/ we got our dog from a breeder though dh wanted a husky haha he ate through a wall three Times. ... he was 6months old when we got him... he's all good now and he has a kitty for a buddy :)
lizfnf
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM
I wanted a GSP so I looked at rescues and shelters but ended up going with a breeder. I can honestly say that I am glad the puppy phase is behind us. I guess I'm the rare person that prefers dogs to puppies. Also, what town are you from? The hillside I know doesn't have a good reputation. Good luck in your search!
JRSMOM0621
by Katrina on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM

There is 1 that I know of and it has a horrible rep. I'm in Mechanicsburg

Quoting steelcrazy:

I've never been to an SPCA, but $140 is cheap for a puppy.  Have you tried looking in the newspaper or checking local shelters?

JRSMOM0621
by Katrina on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:59 PM

What? that is stupid about the form. From what I was reading only some are fixed and have their shots. I was like um thought that was normal to do. I had a Border Collie when I was little she was fantastic. She lived to be about 17 years old in human years. We live really close to a dog park where we take out kids to play at the swings and stuff. We do have a huge yard at our disposal but will need to be on a lead during that time.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Yes the costs are a little higher now because they come with all their shots, spay/neutering, usually microchipping, etc. With that, the cost is for sure going to be higher. Plus they figure, if you can't afford $140, then you shouldn't be getting a dog, especially a puppy. ( They say ) It is actually on a lot of the forms now, they ask how much you think it will cost you to keep the dog a year, etc. It is like an application of approval, versus just taking the dog off their hands. 

I would never get a dog under 9 months to a year because they are a lot of work, especially with young kids. I want a dog that is house trained, out of chewing usually and still young & ready to grow with our family. About a year to 18 months is perfect, still young enough to grow with the family. I don't know about SPCA, but look at local shelters. All of ours have been rescues and they are great. What I know about border collies is that they need a lot of physical exercise so do you have a large yard & the time to take them & work them? They are "working" dogs, meant to do a lot of physical activity.  They aren't know to do well with small kids if they don't get the attention they need because they don't go well with being bored. 

Mutts are always great though. They love being loved. All of our dogs were mutts & just always did great around all the kids in our households from young to now none. 

JRSMOM0621
by Katrina on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

In Mechanicsburg. I love all ages but my husband would love a puppy/young adult. I found one in the paper for $75 13wks with everything. I thought it was a steal!

Quoting lizfnf: I wanted a GSP so I looked at rescues and shelters but ended up going with a breeder. I can honestly say that I am glad the puppy phase is behind us. I guess I'm the rare person that prefers dogs to puppies. Also, what town are you from? The hillside I know doesn't have a good reputation. Good luck in your search!

JRSMOM0621
by Katrina on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

SERIOUSLY? Oh my... guess its good we have brick lol I've had shelter dogs but the $140 really scared me. I remember getting all my dogs for around $100 for everything and my cat was $120 due to the microchip. I guess it also factors which state lol I was in NY when I got all of my pets

Quoting spitfire06: I would go to a shelter :/ we got our dog from a breeder though dh wanted a husky haha he ate through a wall three Times. ... he was 6months old when we got him... he's all good now and he has a kitty for a buddy :)

spitfire06
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Lol yeah I think pa will try to rip you off any way possible hahah its such a money grubby state! Maybeit depends on where u go Iidk what the shelter in indiana pa or the humane society in johnstown pa charge. I was looki ng at getting a cat from a no kill shelter last year and they said whatever u cab afford as a donation so I think maybe you should shop around ..

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

SERIOUSLY? Oh my... guess its good we have brick lol I've had shelter dogs but the $140 really scared me. I remember getting all my dogs for around $100 for everything and my cat was $120 due to the microchip. I guess it also factors which state lol I was in NY when I got all of my pets

Quoting spitfire06: I would go to a shelter :/ we got our dog from a breeder though dh wanted a husky haha he ate through a wall three Times. ... he was 6months old when we got him... he's all good now and he has a kitty for a buddy :)

JRSMOM0621
by Katrina on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. I'll keep looking, need to save up anyway for the pet needs lol I agree about PA. I have never seen a state charge so much for things. They recharged me for registration stickers that they sent to the wrong address. A police officer ticketed my husband for his sun roof being broke when my husband was fixing it till he could get home..... crazy shit happens in this state lol

Quoting spitfire06: Lol yeah I think pa will try to rip you off any way possible hahah its such a money grubby state! Maybeit depends on where u go Iidk what the shelter in indiana pa or the humane society in johnstown pa charge. I was looki ng at getting a cat from a no kill shelter last year and they said whatever u cab afford as a donation so I think maybe you should shop around ..
Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)