Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is unemployment high in your area?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you know a lot of people who are out of work and are desperately looking for a job?

It seems it's at 9.6% for the state but I don't see it here on the coast. I actually don't know anyone that needs a job at this time.

Wondering if it's more of a regional thing.

Join us in the North Carolina Moms group!

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Replies (11-19):
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM

There are some jobs available here but they don't pay liveable wages.  If the sequestration goes through we'll be sunk here because alot of the people here commute to the shipyards in Virginia and they will be facing layoffs.

SissyMacK
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I lost a very good home health job in October when my client passed away and haven't been able to get on my feet since.  I worked pretty steady for JC Penney's during the holiday season, but now am down to 1 day a week.  I have been seriously looking for a job since the first of January and haven't gotten so much as an interview. When I follow up on my applications,most of the places I apply end up telling me that they are not really hiring but that it is company policy to continuously take applications.  At this point, we have gotten use to depending on Superman's income alone and he has decided that I should just relax and get ready for our little girl who's coming in June.  With what the job market is here, my income wouldn't even cover day care and the truth is, I would rather just be home with her.   We live in Rowan County. 

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Not really.
I only know 1 person looking for work, but she doesn't even have a high school diploma, so it's her own fault she can't find anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
0Glitter0
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM

oh yes we are 3rd in the nation or all of nc

0Glitter0
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

i know how you feel, i have 12 yrs experience in Home Health and can't find anything, i cuold not believe noone has a client for me anywhere

Quoting SissyMacK:

I lost a very good home health job in October when my client passed away and haven't been able to get on my feet since.  I worked pretty steady for JC Penney's during the holiday season, but now am down to 1 day a week.  I have been seriously looking for a job since the first of January and haven't gotten so much as an interview. When I follow up on my applications,most of the places I apply end up telling me that they are not really hiring but that it is company policy to continuously take applications.  At this point, we have gotten use to depending on Superman's income alone and he has decided that I should just relax and get ready for our little girl who's coming in June.  With what the job market is here, my income wouldn't even cover day care and the truth is, I would rather just be home with her.   We live in Rowan County. 

0Glitter0
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

i am looking for a part time job, i am getting unemployment but it will soon run out and noone is giving or accepting applications around here but my DH has a good steady job so we arent going to move just yet, cost too much to even do that

Sigmalade
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I don't think it is high. There are places around here hiring and in desperate need of help. If I didn't have my ds, I would take on a part-time job.

beachbeauty
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I have been putting in applications for 2 years and haven't gotten even a phone call.  I have a hs diploma and AA degree and I am applying at retail and fast food, getting nothing.  It seems like most of the jobs are going to people who already know someone who gets them in and I don't know that many people here, it's very frustrating.

denise3680
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:51 PM

In my area we have alot of new stores and businesses opening here and many of the people I know have found jobs.  Now they are not the best or highest paying jobs but they are here.  My area is doing pretty well, lots of new houses and apartment buildings being built.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)