Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

What Did You Think of Michelle Obama's Speech Last Night?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 16 Replies

After watching first lady Michelle Obama address the Democratic National Convention last night, one thing is clear: her husband isn't the only one capable of delivering a powerful, emotionally-charged speech with the kind of eloquence that leaves not a dry eye in the house. 

Like Ann Romney's speech to the Republican National Convention last week, Obama's centered around her relationship with the President and painted the picture of a man who came from humble beginnings. 

He was a guy who "picked me up for our dates in a car that was so rusted out, I could actually see the pavement going by in a hole in the passenger side door," Obama said. "He was the guy whose proudest possession was a coffee table he'd found in a dumpster, and whose only pair of decent shoes was half-size too small."

Obama described how she knew she had found a 'kindred spirit' in her husband when they spoke about family. She also touched upon her husband's role as a father, sharing that the president still takes time to eat with his daughters nearly every night, to listen and answer their questions about current events, and even to discuss middle-school friendships. 

The speech was one of the firsty lady's most political to date, expressing support for the auto bailout, taxcuts for middle class earners, and the president's healthcare plan. 

"In the end, for Barack, these issues aren't political. They're personal," she said. Obama described how her husband stays up late many nights reading personal letters sent to him by Americans.  "I see the concern in his eyes ... and I hear the determination in his voice as he tells me, 'You won't believe what these folks are going through, Michelle . it's not right. We've got to keep working to fix this. We've got so much more to do."

Obama's speech highlighted the difference between the two candidates and their approach to 'fixing' the economy. While Obama aspires to put policies into place that protect the middle class, Romney would like to decrease taxes for the rich and rely on trickle down economics. 

Obama watched the speech from the White House with their two daughters. "I'm going to try to not let them see their daddy cry because when Michelle starts talking, I start getting all misty," the president told a crowd at a rally in Virginia last week. After a speech like the one his wife delivered last night, I'm not sure anyone could blame him.

What did you think of the first lady's speech last night? How do you feel it compared to the speech delivered by Ann Romney last week? 

Photo credit: White House Flickr 

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I thought it was good but I wouldn't say it was any better than Ann Romney's.  They are two different ladies with different personalities who were supporting their husbands and they both deserve credit for that. 

DNewman
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Loved it!

mom_to_travis
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I loved the first lady's speech!  I just love her, and I thought her speech was warm, genuine, and inspiring.

Ann Romney's speech fell flat for me. They are so out of touch with the average person, they have no idea how easy they have actually had it their entire lives.  I don't relate to her, I don't believe her, and she seems very cold and phony to me.

mom_to_travis
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM
"When you walk through the door of opportunity,
you do not slam it shut behind you."
- Michelle Obama

One of my favorite lines from her speech.  :-)

Rain2Rinse
by Representative on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM
I just.... Couldn't. I was already in a horrible mood. For the sake f my poor husband, I didn't watch it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by Kelly on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Both powerful ladies backing their husbands.
LancesMom
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Quoting mom_to_travis:

"When you walk through the door of opportunity,
you do not slam it shut behind you."
- Michelle Obama

One of my favorite lines from her speech.  :-)

My thoughts exactly! 

When you walk through the door of opportunity, you do not slam it shut behind you! ~ Michelle Obama

mom2jessnky
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I thought it was a great speech.

iluv2read
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I liked it and thought it was much more sincere than Ann's, much more of a call to action than Ann's, too, if we're comparing the two.

hope_love_dream
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM

loved it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN